MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys beware with 98 Octane BP fuel... :bash:

From another forum:

BP fuel 98 in particular has changed. They changed the additives in the formula and it seems to create some problems for certain bikes and high performance cars like porsche.
I had 7 bikes in total that came in with complains that the bike lost power and a lot of soot formed around the exhaust end. I have contacted BP yesterday and they are aware of the problem. Will let you know once I have more info.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Huuhhhhhh?????? UN Zud???

Half the garages around here are running out of fuel anyway, after the accident the other day in Sydney.

Maybe I'll end up pushing her around my garage making brooom broom broooooom noises!!!!
Cheers

·
Registered
133 Posts
I only use BP 98 because I was told its the best quality. Have been cleaning exhaust soot after every ride. I thought it was just an MV thing on the new exhausts. Have 2012 F4R. What fuel do we use now?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
john i only try and put a max of 95 oct in mine
i found that shell max , BP ultra and any other 98 sooted my bike up if i cruised around under 6k rpm
the higher the oct the harder you should run the motor ..hi oct low reving/load = sooting up carbon build up

but then theres the other end of the scale do not use a ethynol mix of above 7% this will kill the injectors if used with out a petrol addative

·
Registered
823 Posts
I only use BP 98 because I was told its the best quality. Have been cleaning exhaust soot after every ride. I thought it was just an MV thing on the new exhausts. Have 2012 F4R. What fuel do we use now?
Same here. Baffles in the HP Corse on the 1078 Brutale have been sooty as lately.

Cheers

Deano

·
Vendor
5,337 Posts
The factory tunes MV's to run optimum using 95 Octane.Thanks for letting us know about the BP fuel though Jon.:yo:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I run 98 in OZ..(same as 95 in US) in all my bikes..they just seem to run better and cleaner.
Having said that, I have noticed the F3 running a lot richer since the new map last week.
Higher the compression the higher the octane
cheers

·
Administrator
19,860 Posts
Always run the lowest octane you can without encountering detonation or pre-ignition. Higher octane simply means slower burning....not more power.

Racing fuel is not the same as pump gas for on-road use. Using a higher octane fuel than needed only results in combustion chamber deposits and unburned hydrocarbons out the exhaust (your soot).

Not to mention a waste of your money.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Always run the lowest octane you can without encountering detonation or pre-ignition. Higher octane simply means slower burning....not more power.

Racing fuel is not the same as pump gas for on-road use. Using a higher octane fuel than needed only results in combustion chamber deposits and unburned hydrocarbons out the exhaust (your soot).

+100, listen to Ed boys, he know's things :stickpoke

·
Registered
568 Posts
Mobil synergy 8000 use to be the go but I don't think Mobil is around anymore, think Woolworths took the petrol part of them over

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
?

if you have "unburned hydrocarbons" it's too rich, plain and simple

if I hold my R1150GS on 4,000rpm in neutral it shows the same A/F ration regardless of the octane rating 12.1:1

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
to the aussie riders
straight from the petro chem guys at Ampol/Caltex cleanest fuel is
7-11 yes 7-11 for 95 or 98 and good for krispy dougnuts
caltex for 95- 98 and diesel
shell for E10 and Diesel and maccas
bp for diesel and H/Jacks

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
to the aussie riders
straight from the petro chem guys at Ampol/Caltex cleanest fuel is
7-11 yes 7-11 for 95 or 98 and good for krispy dougnuts
caltex for 95- 98 and diesel
shell for E10 and Diesel and maccas
bp for diesel and H/Jacks
too funny col

·
Registered
814 Posts
Yep I've always run 91 RON and it's been fine (I've always been of the understanding to run the lowest Octane possible without knocking for optimum efficiency)

·
Registered
83 Posts
From my understanding in Oz, 91 has 10% ethanol.
The manual specifically states do NOT use fuel with alcohol in it or less than 95 octane.
Must be for a reason else they would say you can use kerosene and vegetable oil.

I do seem to remember a dyno test that was run somewhere where they ran different octane fuels and the higher the octane the more power the engine developed.

For the sake of a couple of cents a litre I can't see the point of risking the engine of a $20,000+ motorcycle.
cheers

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've been using standard pump ULP (non ethanol) since the switch from lead. I use it in a fleet of race bikes, street bikes and also when I'm dyno tuning customer bikes.
It has no special additives for "cleaning injectors" or any of the other bullshit that the advertising arm of the petroleum company is forced to spin.
In 15 years of retail I've never had one single complaint.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 81 Posts