MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
News reports state the loss of wildlife is staggering. Such a shame. My heart goes out to those who live there

·
Registered
59 Posts
Same here. The pictures with the wildlife on the roadside is heart shattering. I have been talking to all my relatives in Australia and have been asking them. This has been in my thoughts even in the night specially after giving talks about environment in my community. I pray for everyone out there. Be safe everyone down under.

·
Vendor
5,153 Posts
Half of the Koala population have died at one fire on Kangaroo Island,south of South Australia.
That's around 25,000 and more will die because their food source has burnt to the ground.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
My wife came home on Friday, after being deployed the day after Boxing Day.
Got the email last night to say "pack your bags", she's waiting to be back on call again, hopefully after another day or two of rest back at her regular job.
Luckily we in Western Australia are so isolated and out of the mainstream media and political shit, that we would be all gone and nobody would even notice.

Thanks to those guys and girls from all over the World who have come here to help, we have several USA aircraft and choppers over here, with some of their pilots, we thank you.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I was walking my dog yesterday when it started to lightly sprinkle (only 10 mins).. it felt really strange as I haven't experienced that for at least 10 weeks that's just in northern beaches Sydney which makes you feel how dry the place is
I pray for rain all over this land to help all out 🙏😮

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Guys down the south coast were describing black rain.
Winds and cool weather have spread the Dunns Road fire in the Snowys away from us at the moment. Expecting it to heat up again later in the week.

I heard an interesting comment the other day. It went something like 'The economy is a wholly owned subsidiary of the environment". Meaning if it isn't happy its gonna cost you.

This may help with scale for some of our Merican friends

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
So haven't been for a ride all holidays and the weather is just right, where will I go north, south, west, everywhere's been affected by fires in some way. O.K. west it is, want to go out for a decent ride so travel west up towards the Bells Line Of Road and WOW what a mess the fires have made, for people that know this road the effects can be seen right up to each side of the road pretty much all the way from North Richmond to Lithgow, understandably not much traffic and a temporary speed limit of 60 km/h not that many people were doing that but it was a fairly leisurely speed all the way there. it's amazing to see how many houses were actually saved, at least what you can see from the roadside, blackened trees and grass surrounding houses that had been saved, I can only imagine the bravery and resilience of the firefighters and homeowners faced with this sort of devastation. So get to Lithgow fill up with fuel and have a drink and head towards Oberon, some nice winding and twisty roads and ironically this is all just on the other side of the Great Western Highway and other than being brown and parched has not been affected by the fires. Stop at Oberon have lunch and a bit of a look around and then back home. It's one thing to see this in the news but close up you really get an appreciation of how Mother Nature can suddenly turn and cause so much devastation on an unimaginable scale and how brave all the firefighters would have been facing the full fury of being surrounded by out of control fires, I take my hat (helmet) off to them all.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm planing on doing the putty loop sometime next week, don't know how bad that area was but the road was closed during the height of fires in that area.
Bit of a warning, someone on another forum I frequent had a good friend who crashed and sustained some pretty serious injuries due to ash and fire retardant residue on the road so take it easy until there has been some decent rain
(predicted heavy downpours for some parts of NSW / VIC from tomorrow)

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Mitchy, I've seen some footage of helicopters throwing out buckets and buckets full of carrots and maybe even other vegetables.
Hope it will somewhat help those little fluff fluffs and other animals out there.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm planing on doing the putty loop sometime next week, don't know how bad that area was but the road was closed during the height of fires in that area.
Bit of a warning, someone on another forum I frequent had a good friend who crashed and sustained some pretty serious injuries due to ash and fire retardant residue on the road so take it easy until there has been some decent rain
(predicted heavy downpours for some parts of NSW / VIC from tomorrow)
Hi Baba, let me know what day you're planning to go, I'm free next week if you want to meet up.

·
Vendor
5,153 Posts
Mitchy, I've seen some footage of helicopters throwing out buckets and buckets full of carrots and maybe even other vegetables.
Hope it will somewhat help those little fluff fluffs and other animals out there.

First I have heard of that.But I will go with it.:smile2:
Should be money.:wink2:

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm working in north sydney and it's the first time in 10/11 weeks it's rained continuously for longer than 10 mins
Halalouya..🌧🌧

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well there has been a bit of storm action around the last few days which by chance has really knocked down the fires around the ACT. So that is nice. Great to be able to see the hills again. But just my luck in the middle a crippling drought a hail storm comes through and turns my car into a golf ball with the windscreen and rear windows smashed. I was out with my daughter at the time. Fortunately we were not driving.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Yeh, we got rain man, Problem is some of it it was frozen the size of cricket balls. My car is a write off, my wife's car is still drivable but just looks alittle lumpy. Fortunately we don't spend alot of money on daily cars, but new it still accounted for 100k of motor vehicles. Not a good year in Australia to own shares in an insurance company.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts