MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would drop some images in here. These things are massive and unstoppable. Expectation is they will burn in to winter here. We have been in smoke since November here in Canberra. It looks like the National parks near us will get their turn soon.
Below is a fire generated thunderstorm in the Snowy Mountains viewed from the coast. Credit: NSWRFS Twitter feed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
yes its horrible
my partners family had to leave their homes today
my client a winery in king valley had to evacuate too
such sad news

·
Super Moderator
22,622 Posts
The shear power of fire is devastating. Stay safe, those in OZ, and don't think you can beat that power. Get out when you can and let the pros do their thing.

I do hope you all stay safe and lose no property or life!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Heart goes out to Australia. My home area of SW Colorado, USA was ravaged by dry spell and then fires two summers ago. The entire forest was shut, fires threatened homes and our cabin was threatened. Firefighters made a brave stand, there was a fleet of aircraft dropping supressant, and some luck helped. Yes, be careful: take no chances getting caught. This too shall pass, but it may be months.

·
Vendor
5,407 Posts
My 96 year old mother lives in the blue mountains west of Sydney,she is under alert to evacuate,her bag is packed ready to go.With these fires you can lose everything you own in a flash.Very scarey.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is one he sent a 5.50pm. It doesn't get dark until 8.30ish at this time of year

Attachments

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
My 96 year old mother lives in the blue mountains west of Sydney,she is under alert to evacuate,her bag is packed ready to go.With these fires you can lose everything you own in a flash.Very scarey.
Mate, most of SE NSW and eastern Vic is like that. Which town is she in? Kosciusko National Park looks like it is going to go up (Corryong fire), and the wilderness that back onto Canberra also (Dunns Road / Batlow fire). I live in Canberra on the border overlooking native grasslands and the mountains. I have kept the family in Adelaide and have packed up our important belongings in one car ready to move to a mates place not as at risk. The motos will be moved to another mates place when the smoke clears enough. I can't see 500 meters at the moment and it has been like that off and on since November (more on than off). There is a really erie orange glow here this morning.

We are not at imminent risk ATM. I think it will be a problem in the next week.

https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/fires-near-me

https://www.emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/?&bbox=146.32827758789062,-38.238180119798635,146.89682006835938,-37.687080706866084&tm=1549170716229

For the non aussies on here, they estimate more than 500 million native animals have died.

Our Prime minister is not handling it very well. He thought it would be a good time to release an ad. It has not gone over very well with the people affected.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/online/social/this-is-absolutely-obscene-scott-morrison-slammed-after-tweeting-50second-ad-spruiking-new-bushfire-measures/news-story/faa88f349b1e9214c1a74c11201d2633

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Nothing is as powerful as mother nature.
A situation that I myself cannot even imagine. Friends and family in danger, chance of losing your house and belongings.

Scary stuff.
GL over there.

·
Vendor
5,407 Posts
Mate, most of SE NSW and eastern Vic is like that. Which town is she in? Kosciusko National Park looks like it is going to go up (Corryong fire), and the wilderness that back onto Canberra also (Dunns Road / Batlow fire). I live in Canberra on the border overlooking native grasslands and the mountains. I have kept the family in Adelaide and have packed up our important belongings in one car ready to move to a mates place not as at risk. The motos will be moved to another mates place when the smoke clears enough. I can't see 500 meters at the moment and it has been like that off and on since November (more on than off). There is a really erie orange glow here this morning.

We are not at imminent risk ATM. I think it will be a problem in the next week.

https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/fires-near-me

https://www.emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/?&bbox=146.32827758789062,-38.238180119798635,146.89682006835938,-37.687080706866084&tm=1549170716229

For the non aussies on here, they estimate more than 500 million native animals have died.

Our Prime minister is not handling it very well. He thought it would be a good time to release an ad. It has not gone over very well with the people affected.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/online/social/this-is-absolutely-obscene-scott-morrison-slammed-after-tweeting-50second-ad-spruiking-new-bushfire-measures/news-story/faa88f349b1e9214c1a74c11201d2633
Thanks for putting up the photos mate.
My mother lives in Blaxland at the foot of the Blue Mountains.
In Penrith yesterday,which is 10 minutes drive it reached 49.7 degrees and it was the hottest town in the world.
Stay safe Glenno,my best wishes are with you.:wink2:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
571 Posts
Good luck over there for our Aussie neighbours, another 20 NZ volunteer firefighters are on their way over. We are having a very dull smoky day here in Taranaki NZ, and much of NZ has had the smoke at some stage, so i can only imagine how catastrophic it is over there. Stay safe and I'm hoping you get some rain soon.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Thanks to the NZ volunteers,well needed help,our guys are exhausted.
On our news just now Mitchy 4 army helicopters and army personnel are also on the way. Theres also in Aus fighting fires professional fighter fighters from NZ USA and Canada, exceptional times these are. Best of luck for all you guys, you especially Glenno, its close to your home so thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks mate, I have a few friends who unfortunately have been alot closer, spread all down the south coast. A couple have lost property. So I don't wish to look alarmist or attention seeking for myself. I feel like I'm not that close to fire danger yet, although it would be closer than most would like it to be. I just thought I would spread some info on here because I'm not sure what is getting out there overseas.

We are not into the heart of bushfire season yet and an area half the size (>6 million hectares) of England (13 million hectares)has been on fire. February is normally the big bushfire month. It usually takes alot longer for things to dry out than it has this season. But things were as dry in September this year as they usually are in Jan/Feb.

I have been involved in Search and Rescue (helicopters) in various forms for around 20 years. We usually watched (I don't fly anymore) the fuel load in spring as we fly around on jobs. It usually stays green until Dec/Jan down here. This last year it was never green.

There are fuckers going around Canberra at the moment starting fires. One match near my place and the whole area will go up so if I catch anyone doing it I will disable them until police arrive.

·
Registered
7,802 Posts
Stay safe guys, praying for the best.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts