MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so ive decided to buy my dream bike following the recent thread i started of which bike to add to the stable

so after much thought and persuasion after asking for opinions ive decided yep buying the dream bike ducati mh900e

now here comes the catch .... i think

turns out the mh900e that ive been eying off and to top it off there is a few of them at my price range are jap imports

now help me understand this.

1. peter stevens motorcycles has quite a few ducati imports seems they bring them in cheap sell them at somewht of a lower price but they are jap imports... so the bikes are legit

2. now, ducati is italian built in italy, if they go from italy to australia or they from croatia to italy, or if they to go japan , how are they any different. its still an italian ducati

3. so if it goes from italy to japan and then to australia whats the problem... did something hugely bad happen along the way

4. is the only difference that when or if and i hopefully not have to sell it am i only going to have to sell if for cheaper cos i bought it cheaper cos its a jap import

5. are they're any disadvantages to buying a ducati jap import, i just dont understand wht the problem is, and why peeps frown upon it.

any help would be great, if any aussies have a jap import ducati let me knw yr thoughts please
cheers
rob

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Only issue with jap imports will be any mods that have been done to make it legal there. I am assuming that warranty would be questionable as the bike will not be on the Aussie importer register.
Are you buying to use it or more as a collectible?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bstar, perhaps as there are a few mh900e around at the moment i could get it from there but there are a few others.

revhead.. i just want it and hopefully will not have to sell it yes i will ride it, but like the others prob hardly ever

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think the japanese have very strict horse power and pollution laws and as such any japanese import would have anti pollution,power restrictors and anti noise gear attached (couldnt swear to it though). You might find that these will need to be removed to really make the bike sing.

Call peter stevens and have a chat to them, they should be able to enlighten you.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
The arguments for and against grey imports are pretty straight forward and you can make up your own mind.

As I understand it, there are a couple of things to look out for with respect to Japanese bikes. One is the clutch which due to the nature of riding in Japan will often be worn out at a lower milage than would be expected in Australia. An easy fix but still a fix and a cost. The other is climate related. There are quite a few low milage Japanese bikes which appear badly weathered due to humidity and sea air and not having undercover storage (land is a premium in some places). Photos may not show the extent of the weathering so be due diligence is required.

good luck with the MHE.

rode one once and noticed either a long reach to the bars or a very high seat (I'm over 6') and from memory a very small tank so a limited riding distance before the need for ea refuel (around 180 km)

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep im conmfortable with all this, thats for the link f4pete
going to go ahead with it. bit more research and i think im good to go

·
Registered
230 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts