MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought

what about an auction site on the forum ?.

People can sell off stuff no longer needed if they don't want a firm price for it.

Business (site sponsors) can sell off stuff that's not moving off their shelves or has been superseded.

It could be MV specific (or not),

This could be a nightmare for the admin guys to set up/police, I don't know, like I said, it's just a thought

George

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I can't say I've seen anything like it before.

but something along the lines i'm thinking of happened to an item that cash_dawg had listed in the for sale section, see here http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=113025.

It seems he had offers via pm, similiar to an auction.

I think if the bids were posted and there was a definite period of time that the auction could run it could have generated more interest in the item.

In an auction environment the seller gets rid of an item for a price he/she is reasonably happy with and the buyer could potentially grab a bargain or that hard to get item, hell, sometimes I don't know I want something untill I see it.

I have visions of it working like something along these lines.

Seller: I have item "x" im trying to sell/get rid of out of my garage, im asking $100 + postage

Buyer 1: I'll give you $50

Buyer 2 : $75

buyer 3 $85

Buyer 1: $90

Buyer 3: $110

Time has ended and buyer three who came back with a higher bid than his opening bid gets item "x"

Seller has got rid of an item without having to put it in the for sale section (for a better price) and possibly not selling it for months, and the buyer has bought an item he has been after for a good price.

The market would regulate itself in so far as if an items price is too expensive you can offer cheaper and then it would be up to the seller to decide if he wants to sell it at the cheaper price.

If an item attracts no offers then the price is either too expensive or there is no interest on the forum.

No fees would be payable by the seller or the buyer.

I hope I haven't raved on too long about this, and, to be honest, I don't really know what would be involved from admins end as far as policing is concerned, maybe it's not feasable, maybe forum members don't want it, But if it did take off I think it could generate a lot more visits from members and interest from commercial enterprises to perhaps becoming sponsers of the site.

Again, just a thought

George

·
Administrator
1,034 Posts
I'm not against users doing that of their own accord but creating a section for it will take logistics and rules to clear first. Honestly I think it would be easier for members to do so on an item by item basis. Though I mean this if you come across a place that has it as it's own functioning section bring it here and we'll revisit it :)
KN

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
As long as you don't put it in the regular "For Sale" section, and look after it yourself KN, I don't have a problem with it, but I speak for myself.

And then we'll have even more people posting in the wrong sections ....

As I see it, nobody has ever stopped people from offering a seller a price other than what they requested, some guys do put stuff on without offering a price and then wonder why they get no offers.

Site sponsors have their own sections in which they can advertise and sell anything they wish, so what happens if other "Non Sponsor" dealers start putting items up for sale in this suggested section?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not against users doing that of their own accord but creating a section for it will take logistics and rules to clear first. Honestly I think it would be easier for members to do so on an item by item basis. Though I mean this if you come across a place that has it as it's own functioning section bring it here and we'll revisit it :)
KN
Fair enough, I thought it might be a bit tough to monitor/police.

I will keep an eye out on other sites, ang get back to you if i find anything.

George

1 - 6 of 6 Posts