MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lets assume for one stupid moment that i was planning on popping over to Oz next year with the family for a holiday, where would be the best place to aim for?

Never been before and i doubt i'll be able to skive off for longer than 2 weeks, if i can squeeze 3 weeks though i'll do my best.

Not into touristy stuff but i reckon the wife will want to see a few thigns and i guess there are some things i Must see even if i don't know it yet.

Is it worth hiring a car and going for a drive from one side to the other? or is best to land in a city and float around there?

a million questions basically.

I know it won't be cheap but on first glance it's not as expensive as i thought it would be so i want to see what we can do and then plan for it.

Ideally i'd be looking at this time of year in 2012. Too hot or too cold etc etc etc etc?

Just a shame we don't get shipped there for free anymore for breaking a few laws, my driving record would have seen me setting up home about 15 years ago ;)

All help gratefully received. :D

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Hahaha

Stay away from Western Aus, you will be working for me :naughty:.
This could be funny Chris !
No way do you want to drive across this Island mate, not in a hire car for sure (It's almost a 5 hour flight), and mostly desert.
I would say Melbourne or Gold Coast this time of the year, and I know I will cop some flack for saying that too.
Phew, you just opened a can of worms. :smoking:, be nice to see the response's thought.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stay away from Western Aus, you will be working for me :naughty:.
This could be funny Chris !
No way do you want to drive across this Island mate, not in a hire car for sure (It's almost a 5 hour flight), and mostly desert.
I would say Melbourne or Gold Coast this time of the year, and I know I will cop some flack for saying that too.
Phew, you just opened a can of worms. :smoking:, be nice to see the response's thought.

Cool. What are internal flights priced at then out of interest?

I'll be honest i'll have to be putting aside for this for most of the year and i doubt i'll get to go again for a number of years so i'd like to make the most of it.

Plus i'll have my sons with us as well (eldest will be 4.5 by then and the youngest will be 18 months)

Maybe do a week or so in one place then a week or so in another before returning home, possible fly back from a different airport.

Dunno really just throwing ideas around. :)

If i make it over i will be banging on your door fella ;)

·
Registered
851 Posts
Chris my daughter was there year before last and drove almost right around Oz. It's a hell of a drive just going Perth to Sydney (2500ish miles IIRC) She loved it all (people/food/weather/ everything) and worked at various places along the way to fund the trip. Sydney was her favourite Seem to remember flights were quite a bit cheaper going into Perth.. I'm jealous

·
Registered
313 Posts
It really depends what you like doing/seeing.
Australia is the size of all Europe but with only 23 million people which about 90% live on the coast due to most of the country being a desert.
With so few people driving from Sydney to Melbourne via the Hume Hwy the most direct route takes about 8-9 hours with very little to see or do and the terrain doesn't change very much. I've done it too many times and everytime I do it I promise myself never again. I drove from Melbourne to Brisbane once 18 hours of boredom. The kids would be killing you!
However I drove from Brisbane to Sydney and that wasn't to bad.
Internal air travel is quite cheep these days and If you get on their websites you can nail some good specials.
http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/home
http://www.tigerairways.com/au/en/real_deals.php
http://www.virginaustralia.com/

My thoughts considering the kids would be to fly most points and drive 1 or 2 legs between points.
I've never been to Perth but I've never heard a bad word about it, everyone loves Perth. So coming from UK I would get off in Perth which helps shorten the flight some and after so long in the plane you will be keen to get off.
Pester Donsy to show you around:naughty:
Then fly to either Adelaide or Melbourne, maybe time it for the GP?
Adelaide is a nice small city with a great beach and the hills behind the city are a great drive with quaint small towns and vineyards.
Melbourne has a lot to see and do, I don't know where to begin but there are the sporting events like cricket at the MCG, Phillip Island superbikes & Motogp, Melbourne cup, Albert Park F1, Australian Open if you are into any of that. Also a great bay and peninsula and where I live in the Dandenong ranges on the eastern edge a bit like the Adelaide hills without the winerys.
Tassie is great to visit and you can get either a flight or take the overnight ferry from Melbourne. Now thats a place where driving around is great!
Canberra is worth considering. It usually gets ignored and most Aussies haven't been there. Small designed city so unlike any other I've seen. I lived there for 3 years back in the 70's.
http://www.visitcanberra.com.au/en/Things-to-do-and-see.aspx
Sydney, well I'm from Melbourne so I'll do the right thing and let someone from Sydney fill you in on it.
Brisbane and the Gold Coast are a must and they have the theme parks for the kids. I've only been there a few times so again I'll let someone else take over here.

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Just to throw the cat amongst the Emus may I suggest that the best an most scenic part of Australia is in fact the south island of New Zealand, especially in February. Take a relaxed tour around the entire coast.
You'll get far more bang for your buck.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just to throw the cat amongst the Emus may I suggest that the best an most scenic part of Australia is in fact the south island of New Zealand, especially in February. Take a relaxed tour around the entire coast.
I'll pay that, a great call.:smoking:

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It really depends what you like doing/seeing.
Australia is the size of all Europe but with only 23 million people which about 90% live on the coast due to most of the country being a desert.
With so few people driving from Sydney to Melbourne via the Hume Hwy the most direct route takes about 8-9 hours with very little to see or do and the terrain doesn't change very much. I've done it too many times and everytime I do it I promise myself never again. I drove from Melbourne to Brisbane once 18 hours of boredom. The kids would be killing you!
However I drove from Brisbane to Sydney and that wasn't to bad.
Internal air travel is quite cheep these days and If you get on their websites you can nail some good specials.
http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/home
http://www.tigerairways.com/au/en/real_deals.php
http://www.virginaustralia.com/

My thoughts considering the kids would be to fly most points and drive 1 or 2 legs between points.
I've never been to Perth but I've never heard a bad word about it, everyone loves Perth. So coming from UK I would get off in Perth which helps shorten the flight some and after so long in the plane you will be keen to get off.
Pester Donsy to show you around:naughty:
Then fly to either Adelaide or Melbourne, maybe time it for the GP?
Adelaide is a nice small city with a great beach and the hills behind the city are a great drive with quaint small towns and vineyards.
Melbourne has a lot to see and do, I don't know where to begin but there are the sporting events like cricket at the MCG, Phillip Island superbikes & Motogp, Melbourne cup, Albert Park F1, Australian Open if you are into any of that. Also a great bay and peninsula and where I live in the Dandenong ranges on the eastern edge a bit like the Adelaide hills without the winerys.
Tassie is great to visit and you can get either a flight or take the overnight ferry from Melbourne. Now thats a place where driving around is great!
Canberra is worth considering. It usually gets ignored and most Aussies haven't been there. Small designed city so unlike any other I've seen. I lived there for 3 years back in the 70's.
http://www.visitcanberra.com.au/en/Things-to-do-and-see.aspx
Sydney, well I'm from Melbourne so I'll do the right thing and let someone from Sydney fill you in on it.
Brisbane and the Gold Coast are a must and they have the theme parks for the kids. I've only been there a few times so again I'll let someone else take over here.
Cool, cheers mate, i'm purely thinking about it at the moment. Not had a holiday in a very very very very long time, can't really afford it but there comes a time when you think what the hell and plan something like this. It could be years before i ever get round to something like this again.

Looks like the driving thing is gonna be a tad hopeful then. Internal flights it is then :).

I guess if you've only got a few weeks somewhere the trick is to not try and do too much and end up seeing nothing. We're not really the type of people who like to sit around on beaches doing nothing, but equally i hate pre arranged package type tours.

Potentially though i've got some time to plan things if i do make it out there and your info is very useful. Thanks :)

LOL i had a feeling you'd be pursuading me to go Kiwi rather than Aussie ;)

I'll discuss with the boss and see what she wants to do ;)

Time off though can only be taken at this time of year for me as things starting winding down in the bike trade for christmas. Feb time is when they start picking up again especially as the race season will be getting close and bikes need building.

I've always wanted to get out to either NZ or Oz and i've just decided to do these things rather than talk about them for once.

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Good on ya Chris.
Truth is that Australia has much more settled weather this time of year than us. It's the safer bet in November / December.
I wish you a most enjoyable and safe holiday.
Dave.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good on ya Chris.
Truth is that Australia has much more settled weather this time of year than us. It's the safer bet in November / December.
I wish you a most enjoyable and safe holiday.
Dave.

Oh i may still find a way to come and annoy you as well ;). Got possibly a year to plan these things.

Don't think you can palm me off on the aussies that easily :D

:)

·
Registered
241 Posts
the south island of New Zealand
+1

Just got back from AUS and NZ...wife and I loved every minute of our trip. South island was incredible!!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
If it is going to be around this time next year, the Phillip Island round of MotoGP is (provisionaly) on October 28. Nothing beats MotoGP bikes at the Island!

Don't forget to check out Queensland, although it is starting to get pretty warm up here now.....

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sydney has the Harbour Bridge (you can climb to the top of the bridge which is a must for first time tourists), our famous Opera House and the Rocks (oldest suburb of Australia, built in the early 1800's) all within 5 minutes walking distance right in the heart of Sydney. The Taronga Zoo is a 15 minute ferry ride from Circular Quay (near the Opera House) and you can also continue to Manly, along our beautiful foreshores...There's plenty of shopping and pretty good food, but as with all cities in Australia, it is slightly expensive compared to the USA. The Blue Mountains and the Three Sisters (a rock formation) is also very popular, where you can go walking and also catch the highest incline rail car from the top of the mountain to the gully below (about 1 .5 hrs drive from Sydney) and the Jenolan Caves are a couple of hours further away.About 2 hours from Sydney by car you also have the Hunter Valley with its famous wines...

Melbourne is a beautiful 'european style city', with trams, and has lots of good food, shopping for your wife and plenty to do for the kids. The weather in Melbourne is normally gusty and raining - similar to the UK weather, so you may feel at home! :)

Perth is also very nice - more of a 'beach suburb' and relaxed atmosphere - Donsy will also be happy to see you! And the weather is sunny and good...

The Gold Coast and Brisbane, which is more touristy and very laid back, has lots of nice beaches and is a lot quieter than Sydney or Melbourne and probably the warmest part of Australia as its further North.

Tasmania, a ferry ride across from Melbourne (and close to Phillip Island for the MotoGP) is also very beautiful with it's lush forests and tranquility - although colder than other cities this time of year.

In the end, it's down to what you want to do...let us know what you and the kids want to do - shopping, hiking, eating good food, nightclubbing etc... and we will try and offer some suggestions.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Sydney has the Harbour Bridge (you can climb to the top of the bridge which is a must for first time tourists), our famous Opera House and the Rocks (oldest suburb of Australia, built in the early 1800's) all within 5 minutes walking distance right in the heart of Sydney. The Taronga Zoo is a 15 minute ferry ride from Circular Quay (near the Opera House) and you can also continue to Manly, along our beautiful foreshores...There's plenty of shopping and pretty good food, but as with all cities in Australia, it is slightly expensive compared to the USA. The Blue Mountains and the Three Sisters (a rock formation) is also very popular, where you can go walking and also catch the highest incline rail car from the top of the mountain to the gully below (about 1 .5 hrs drive from Sydney) and the Jenolan Caves are a couple of hours further away.About 2 hours from Sydney by car you also have the Hunter Valley with its famous wines...

Melbourne is a beautiful 'european style city', with trams, and has lots of good food, shopping for your wife and plenty to do for the kids. The weather in Melbourne is normally gusty and raining - similar to the UK weather, so you may feel at home! :)

Perth is also very nice - more of a 'beach suburb' and relaxed atmosphere - Donsy will also be happy to see you! And the weather is sunny and good...

The Gold Coast and Brisbane, which is more touristy and very laid back, has lots of nice beaches and is a lot quieter than Sydney or Melbourne and probably the warmest part of Australia as its further North.

Tasmania, a ferry ride across from Melbourne (and close to Phillip Island for the MotoGP) is also very beautiful with it's lush forests and tranquility - although colder than other cities this time of year.

In the end, it's down to what you want to do...let us know what you and the kids want to do - shopping, hiking, eating good food, nightclubbing etc... and we will try and offer some suggestions.

Hi Chris,

That's an excellent summation above.

As Glen said let us know what you want to do & we can be more specific, MViixen will get on the case for you, whilst she is a lawyer she is a frustrated Travel Agent deep down -lol. She organises ALL our holidays right down to flights & ground transport. :laughing:

·
Registered
271 Posts

He he , gotta love it and get my 2 bobs worth ,always up for a bit o fun..

the ditch was dug years ago to seperate the kiwis from the Aussies

be careful here ,it might be a trap ....:stickpoke

·
Registered
605 Posts
Are there still people in New Zealand :jsm: or just that your the last one there castle? Remember to switch off the light when you head to the next bubba :stickpoke

·
Vendor
5,360 Posts
Chris,you have to come to the Gold Coast,it is spring at the moment,average temps 15 degrees at night and around 26 degrees during the day,little rain.Our beaches are wonderful,we have theme parks for the kids,an airport,1 hour drive to Brisbane,great holiday packages and like James said the Moto GP was on 2 weeks ago and Phillip Isle has to be seen to be believed.If you decide to come here I can organize a ride day with some MV owners,twist our dealerships arm and get you a F4 for the day and we will take you on some of our great mountain roads,if your wife will let you out for 1day,all the guys here would love to meet you,also like James said interstate flights are very cheap because they are all fighting for more business.Care hire is also a fair price and fuel is cheaper than the UK.Chris you should have come this year and hitched a ride with the Queen.Come on Gold Coasters who would like to meet and go for a ride with Chris.But Chris Australia has so much to offer it would be hard to squeeze it into 2weeks,I am promoting the Gold Coast because I live here,if you decide Gold Coast and need any info just PM me,Mitch.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chris,you have to come to the Gold Coast,it is spring at the moment,average temps 15 degrees at night and around 26 degrees during the day,little rain.Our beaches are wonderful,we have theme parks for the kids,an airport,1 hour drive to Brisbane,great holiday packages and like James said the Moto GP was on 2 weeks ago and Phillip Isle has to be seen to be believed.If you decide to come here I can organize a ride day with some MV owners,twist our dealerships arm and get you a F4 for the day and we will take you on some of our great mountain roads,if your wife will let you out for 1day,all the guys here would love to meet you,also like James said interstate flights are very cheap because they are all fighting for more business.Care hire is also a fair price and fuel is cheaper than the UK.Chris you should have come this year and hitched a ride with the Queen.Come on Gold Coasters who would like to meet and go for a ride with Chris.But Chris Australia has so much to offer it would be hard to squeeze it into 2weeks,I am promoting the Gold Coast because I live here,if you decide Gold Coast and need any info just PM me,Mitch.

Well i spoke to the wife last night and it's a go for trying to make this happen :D

So some frantic saving and planning is now required.

If i can convince her we need 3 weeks then that's what i'll try and get. If i time it right with work then it's not too much hassle to be away, time it wrong though and i could be in the middle of a mega busy period.

As far as where to go i've got to go to Perth as i have relatives there, would be rude not to drop by and say hello :) But after that we did discuss maybe doing 4 days each in a few key places and then head back home.

the £££££££££$$$$$$$$$ is the deciding factor really but will do my best to get and see as much as poss.

I'll bring my laptop and some ECU's though yeah? bit of a busmans holiday for me ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Robert Muldoon (ex Prime minister of New Zealand) once quipped "New Zealanders who emigrate to Australia raise the IQ of both countries".
Come on over Chris.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts