drool

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
Very Very nice.

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
He needs some atomic number 6 in there to complete it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Atomic number six -- sesto elemento -- is there, look at the heel guards on those Motocorse rearsets ..>:)

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
You are correct

·
Registered
388 Posts
However one important one is missing... my favourite: Number 22 ---0:):grin2:

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
14,533 Posts
?

Do you folks realize how far behind motorcycles are??????

1st picture;
Electron beam welded Ti honeycomb wing skin off the XB-70, 1st flight 21-9-64
There where over 500 material process patents on the XB-70

2nd picture;
Electron beam welded PH 15-7 belly skin off the Concorde SST, 1st flight 2-3-69

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,495 Posts
Lucky for us, motorcycles don't cont millions or billions of dollars.....:smoking:

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Do you folks realize how far behind motorcycles are??????

1st picture;
Electron beam welded Ti honeycomb wing skin off the XB-70, 1st flight 21-9-64
There where over 500 material process patents on the XB-70

2nd picture;
Electron beam welded PH 15-7 belly skin off the Concorde SST, 1st flight 2-3-69
And there are rovers wandering Mars. What's the point Noel? :|

·
Registered
388 Posts
@Noel .. Yeah .. and in the Danish "experimentarium" the "out of spec" carbonfibre and titanium honeycomb microwave reflector from a sattellite is on display .. It was rejected because the thermal distortion over the 0.75 metre diagonal was out of spec .. it distorted 1/10000 of a mm between -220 degrees Celcius and + 180 degrees Celcius .. :surprise:

I wonder what the price is for that material pr. sq. ft .. >:) I know that no one could make something like that in the 60'ies --

I make a Carbon and aluminium honeycomb sandwich panel that is 8 mm thick and stiffer than a 10 mm T6 aluminium alloy plate, but weighs only 400 grams pr sq. metre .. I can make that in my home workshop .. It will take a point load of 50 kg per square centimetre without permanent distortion ... This is when it is made as a flat panel .. in curved or spherical shapes its much stronger.

This is made with Resin infusion, not even Aerospace prepregs or autoclaves. I'm experimenting with nomex honeycomb material, but that's actually heavier than the aluminium, but bonds stronger to the CF layers.

The Britten 1000 cc bike used resin infused and hand layup Carbon, and hand cast magnesium parts, and as far as I remember it was 138 kg race ready weight and 166 BHP.. :yo:

I have no idea what could be made if you threw every technological advance known to man at building a motorbike, and just ignored the cost, but it would probably look nothing like the bikes we know .. :naughty: Just like even the race-bikes, race cars or "normal aircraft" of the 60'es looked nothing like a 1960'ies experimental supersonic bomber plane, or had any high tech "space age" materials in them .. even high end fighter jets were all still riveted together..

PS: The Valkyrie is still the most awesome plane ever built, perhaps with the exception of the SR-71 -- I can not really choose .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts