·
Registered
814 Posts
God, what a beuty...
I've never heard a classic MV before. Would love to see this in real life

·
Registered
814 Posts
You're right, I didn't think of that, the wheels look quite modern compared. Maybe a replica or a bit of modification?

Still very pretty all the same

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
That's a Magni - donor MV 750 motor (or possibily even 600) - chain conversion not sure about the frame. After MV closed down they fiddled with ther own versions. Arturo Magni was the legendary race director for MV Agusta thru much of their glory days.

The sound thru the open Magni pipes is to die for!

http://www.magni.it

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I'd hazard a guess that it's a a Magni MV. If it is a full Magni then there were quite a few options available to customise the bike to the owner's specification including frame, forks, brakes, pipes, tank, seat, fairing, engine. Magni produced wheels similar to those (they may even be Magni rims) which were used on the 750 America as either an option or as standard (for the later manufactured bikes including the 850).

For me, the full Magni MV is the pic of road going MVs.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I visited the 'shed' of the owner of the America earlier this week. He has put some baffles in the pipes since the video was taken. Amongst his small collection of sports bikes are some classics (MV America, '76 & '79 900 SS Ducatis, '71 750 Sport Ducati, MHR mille Ducati, Laguna Seca F1 Ducati, 750 SFC Laverda) along with some modern Ducatis (851 through to 1098 R & Desmocedici), a Sport Classic Guzzi a la MVixen, some Bimotas and an Ago MV.

He's a nice guy who keeps all his bikes in pristine condition cleaning them after every ride (yep, he does ride his bikes)

He also has a few exotic Italian cars (Ferrari, Maserati and Lamboghini). Might try and take some pics of the collection in the near future.

·
Registered
576 Posts
HI.

Lovely bike that with a wonderful period racer look.

Standard road engine and a modified factory frame, not a Magni frame.

You can see the bent tubes where the top rail joins the rear subframe, Magni frames are all straight here. Also if you look at the mod to allow for the chain you will see a bit of a cut and shut job ie; two right angle beends etc. No Magni frame would ever be like this.

The Magni chain drive conversion came with a frame mod that you had to do to your excisting factory frame. This ment attacking your lovely, new and expensive bike with a hacksaw, welding in a new piece and repainting. I'm glad mine was done before i got it!!!!

The complete frames from Magni where of a differenr design and of course didn't need this as they where designed to be chain drive from the start.

The thin wall open Magni pipes have a sound all of there own.....spine chilling and VERY NOISY:mouthwate

Dorian.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Dorian, if the chain drive conversion is done but the frame not modded how does the bike handle? Mine has a chain drive but when pushed the rear end has a wobble which feels like a frame flex (the bike has new tyres, new rear shocks, new fork springs and new fork oil).

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi Russ.

I would imagine it would cause some serious rigidity issues. The standard bikes would always weave in long fast corners and i imagine this would only make it worse. The route that the chain has to take is taken up by a frame rail so something has to be removed. The battery tray also has to be relocated/made shorter.

The mod was to add a large, strong loop across the frame under the dynastart which in turn had a brace going forward to the cross piece under the swingarm. That way you achieved a very rigid structure both above and below the swing arm pivot. Any weakness in this area would, i imagine, cause the swingarm/frame to flex, especialy under load and lean angles.

The bike in the picture has tried to overcome this by keeping the top cross tube but adding a 'step' to allow for the chain run. Better than nothing, but no way near as strong as the normal method.

Hope this makes sense.

Got your pm btw and we will see what happens. It looks like it might be sold already though...also to OZ!

All the best.

Dorian.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
thanks Dorian. I have some pics from Albert re the strengthening and was just getting a different opinion. looks like I have to find a competent welder along with a spray painter.

Dave was contemplating but wasn't overly fused if the bike was sold.

cheers

russ

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
See Graham, I told you. The Classic Weenies are not allowed out of their cage and only habitate this area, but they know darn near anything and everything about odd ball older MV's. :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Who you calling a 'weenie':)

It's just that any bike that goes faster than 70mph scares me and my doctor won't let me leave the cell at the moment:)

Dorian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts