MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here we go.

2 nights ago I went out for a quick ride, bike ran great, no issues, pulled strong and it was a blast. On the way back to the house I stopped at a light and after a couple of minutes noticed some smoke in light coming from my headlight. So I got home, let it run for a few minutes and looked all around, no leakage anywhere, checked the inside of the fairing, no oil, no coolant, completely dry. So I called the seller and he said he hasn't ridden in a while and maybe it was just burning off something off the headers or what not (bike only has 2200 miles on it now). I've put 130 miles on the bike since I picked it up this past weekend, so I thought chances of that are slim, but decided to wait until next time I take out the bike.
So this morning I started up the bike to take it to work and let it warm up, when I walked into the garage bike was running at about 130 degrees and I could smell this "burning" smell, now this is not gasoline burning, like you dropped something on your hot stove burning. So again I inspect the fairings, all dry, nothing on the floor, but there is "blue" smoke in the air. So needless to say, I shot the bike off and took my car to work. I haven't taken the fairings off yet.

Any ideas or suggestions? Anybody else experienced anything like this?

Thanks in an advance!

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Opsss.....

Sorry i don't know what to tell you, but i hope it's nothing serious.
Maybe it's just what the seller told you, but definately check it out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You need to take off the fairings.

Blue smoke from the pipes tends to indicate coolant (head gasket leak). If it is from the pipes than it must be something burning against the pipes of your headlight. Was the bulb upgraded. The new HID bulbs burn hotter and can melt the plastic housing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
scalpelman said:
Blue smoke from the pipes tends to indicate coolant (head gasket leak). If it is from the pipes than it must be something burning against the pipes of your headlight. Was the bulb upgraded. The new HID bulbs burn hotter and can melt the plastic housing.
Sorry for the confusion, smoke wasn't coming from the headlight, I just saw smoke passin in the light (I rode during day and never saw it before).

I also was thinking that maybe something is pressed against the header or hot part and is buring.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Hmmm,

Sounds to me like the bike needs to be ridden this weekend, assessed, but not abused, and I bet everything will turn out to be OK. A wisp of smoke ain't no big deal.

Good-luck and be sure to let us know.

Peter

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JamesC said:
First thing I'd look at is oil dripping onto header from the filter. Make sure filter is black not gray and has the safety band.
I'm gonna take the fairings off and see if maybe that's the issue.

Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm with James on this as well. The only time I have had smoke or burning is after my oil changes. I can get my filter tool in there and pull it off without moving any of the headers only problem is the first time I got a little oil on the headers and wiped it down over and over again with clearner and everything and it still burned for the first warm up and nothing since. I am sure to put a good shop towl under the filter in between the header and oil filter during oil changes and oil filter replacement now and I have had no issues since then. Live and learn.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Sometimes some production grease comes onto hot parts of the bike when it's new. It's possible that this causes som smoke... Not sure this happened with your bike, but it's possible.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, got home, took the fairings off. There is a small leak around the oil filter, very slow, but a leak. I don't have the tool to change the oil filter, any recomendations on where to get one?

Also, anything I can do to fix it ASAP? I was really hoping to ride this weekend.

Here is a pic:

·
Registered
398 Posts
That is good news, now the bad news. Your filter is missing the backing out bracket/band that fits around the filter. This band is supposed to tighten around the filter at the base so it cannot back out or losen.

Take a look at this filter picture on ebay.

MV Agusta Filter Picture

Look at the filter and you can see the band around it. The bolt you see in your picture that is around the word agusta on your filter. That is were the band touches so it cannot unsrew. You ought to be able to go to any local bike shop and get a filter wrench. I went to my local yamaha shop and found one.

You need that band on the filter ASAP so it doesn't un screw itself.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, any idea if I can just get the band or do I need to buy a whole new oil kit?

The bike is on a stand in the garage and I can manage to keep my hands off it for a few days - but not too long!

·
Registered
398 Posts
UA_Agusta,

You need to get a whole new filter. Unless your local MV shop has a spare I would guess.

I would suggest putting your location from where your from ie City, State on your bio like mine is to the left. That way when you ask a question someone might say hey I from around your way and have xyz... Or know a shop around that has what you need.

Just a suggestion. I am sure you already know this but the MV filters all come with this bracket now in the filter box.

I think you have a 2002 model and mine came from the factory with the bracket on there. So its been changed I beleive and it looks like when they changed it they didn't mark it with a pen to show if it had indeed backed out. That is the small blue mark you see at the base of the metal at where your filter attaches. You can barley see it in you pic but it is there but no mark on the filter can bee seen.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Closest dealer to us him is Miami....those guys are assholes over the phone, and from what I hear, in person too. Call up the Atlanta Dealer, or the Charlotte dealer...

Hopefully it doesn't set you back too much.

My question is...why do they give you a new bracket with everyfilter, when you can reuse your existing bracket? Why the hell do MV filters back out, but no other manufacturer seems to have the issue....

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I guess my question is, why can't I just retighten the filter on there and be done? I know guys switch to non - MV filters, do those come with the safety band as well?

Checked the web, pro Italia sells the oil filters for $23 and oil wrench for $10 (I thought both of these things would be more expensive). I guess I'll call and order them once they open, sucks about the downtime.

·
Registered
44 Posts
UA theres no reason why you can just re-tighten it.Just make sure that the seal hasn't squeased out.You will need to get the securing ring at some stage to prevent it from vibrating loose. :blah:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
333 said:
UA theres no reason why you can just re-tighten it.Just make sure that the seal hasn't squeased out.You will need to get the securing ring at some stage to prevent it from vibrating loose. :blah:

Cool, thanks. I just ordered a new Oil Filter, so it'll have the safety band. I may just change the oil anyway to satisfy my own need for everything to be perfect. Should have the filter Monday of next week and should be back up on the road by next weekend.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
You didn't mention that you ordered the tool with the filter? If not, you can get one from any autoparts store/walmart, those stamped steel cap ones size: F, courtesy todd/yahoogroups back in the day.

Just tighten it a bit for now. You can use a large hose clamp and wire it just as easily (or perhaps more so). If you can't find one large enough buy a 'kit' from harbor freight/northern tool that comes with a long spool of hose clamp band and you just put the included screw tightener wherever you need.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts