MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to change my chain and sprockets, too much clicking and slapping, but MV options are hard to get locally at decent prices. Does anyone know if the MY10+ sprockets are compatible with any other, more common, brand bikes and models?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For sure Dons, it's the shipping and exchange costs for them that is making me look for alternatives. Most of the Canadian sites that carry sprockets don't cover MVs. Since rotors just have a basic bolt pattern, I figured there must be a matches out there that are more accessible.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
From my understanding you can also use the same sprocket/carrier from a gen1 bike on the gen2 bikes (MY10+)

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
chain and sprockets.

Go to MV Agusta chain and sprockets on eBay.....
360+ items come up
guy in England sells front and rear sprockets and DID XV2 chain for $121+ and $18 shipping also has kits with the rivet tool

:wink2:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw those, Noel, thanks. Great products and prices...very likely my best option at this time.

We hust seem to have a fair number of electrical components and such that have identical twins for half the price from non-MV past sources (like the starter solenoid) that sprockets might be one of them. The idea of walking to nearest Yami dealer to grab a chain and sprockets for <$175 versus >$280 online with shipping time has it's appeal, were there an option for it.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
theknurl said:
Go to MV Agusta chain and sprockets on eBay.....
360+ items come up
Always ensure, when using pattern parts, that the front sprocket is a precise fit on the splines of the gearbox output shaft. Any radial play whatsoever can wind up damaging the shaft/splines which is very expensive to remedy. You'll probably not notice something is up until it's too late.

Most manufacturers will be OK but buying cheap sets off of the likes of eBay I guess that the likelihood to receiving inferior parts is significantly increased.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Pretty much what I was thinking Chas, to pay maybe $200.00+ every 10-15000km is not very much even for a bloke with very little cashflow like myself.
Agreed Dons. I would tend towards an OEM front sprocket (around €50, owch), decent pattern rear sprocket along with a good quality X ring chain.

Either that or fit a chain oiler and get to 30 - 40,000 miles before you have to think about changing. However, I know that idea will go down like a cup of cold vomit with the majority on here :wink2:

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
wtf???.

the silliness that you people come up with amazes me.......

the chain sold by that eBay site is DID XV2...... it's X-ring too, anything wrong with this?
the sprockets are from AFAM, a well known supplier

the chain and sprockets are guaranteed for 15,000mi/24,000km

IF the CS sprocket nut is CORRECTLY torqued to 140Nm/103lbft it's not going anywhere even without LocTite

any of you look how Honda always mounted CS sprockets or Husky or Maico???? they are loose on the CS!!!

what good is a Scott Oiler on an X-ring chain???? it only cleans the chain....the X-rings keep the lube OUT of the roller chain

My 910R currently has over 33,000mi/53,000km+ on the original chain on occasion I wipe it down with WD-40
to keep it from rusting
:grin2:

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
the chain sold by that eBay site is DID XV2...... it's X-ring too, anything wrong with this?
the sprockets are from AFAM, a well known supplier

the chain and sprockets are guaranteed for 15,000mi/24,000km
From my angle Noel I wasn't speaking about a specific supplier, just a general caution that all sprockets are not created equal. I've seen the results of in-precise fitting splines on an output shaft, all torqued up correctly. Admittedly not on an MV. End result was a replacement engine from a breakers yard as the most cost effective solution.

what good is a Scott Oiler on an X-ring chain???? it only cleans the chain....the X-rings keep the lube OUT of the roller chain

My 910R currently has over 33,000mi/53,000km+ on the original chain on occasion I wipe it down with WD-40
to keep it from rusting
In your climate maybe, ride in plenty of rain and shitty conditions and a chain oiler makes more sense. Sure, a sealed chain requires no internal lubrication, but the sprockets and chain rollers can be prematurely worn by the grinding paste combination of chain lube, water and road grit. A chain oiler tends to carry this away. Are you saying that you use no lube at all, just WD40?

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Either that or fit a chain oiler and get to 30 - 40,000 miles before you have to think about changing.
When you ride like a pussy :x

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^^Ouch, Dons, haha. I've got over 27k on the stock sprockets and chain. If I excessively clean, lube, and tighten them I can avoid a racket of clacking for a short time, but can feel the vibration at speed from the stretch in the chain. Too much throttle, all the time ;) My last ride it was really bad, so I called it quits till I geab a new set for next season. At -32°C it's not going anywhere soon ;)

Yeah, the site on ebay sells the AFAM sprokets with various chain options. Pretty solid brands. Just vuri I us of options, I won't run questionable sprockets to save a few bucks, but I don't want to throw money away to banks and shippers if I don't have to.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
^^^Ouch, Dons, haha. I've got over 27k on the stock sprockets and chain. If I excessively clean, lube, and tighten them I can avoid a racket of clacking for a short time, but can feel the vibration at speed from the stretch in the chain. Too much throttle, all the time ;) My last ride it was really bad, so I called it quits till I geab a new set for next season. At -32°C it's not going anywhere soon ;)

Yeah, the site on ebay sells the AFAM sprokets with various chain options. Pretty solid brands. Just vuri I us of options, I won't run questionable sprockets to save a few bucks, but I don't want to throw money away to banks and shippers if I don't have to.
:x:grin2: Sounds like it's about time mate. FWIW, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from most of the eBay suppliers of chains and sprockets, there is a lot of options out there indeed.
Have you compared their prices with The Sprocket Centre's prices, I've bought some through them for other guys and it's a good comparison. ?

·
Registered
14,506 Posts
?

In your climate maybe, ride in plenty of rain and shitty conditions and a chain oiler makes more sense. Sure, a sealed chain requires no internal lubrication, but the sprockets and chain rollers can be prematurely worn by the grinding paste combination of chain lube, water and road grit. A chain oiler tends to carry this away. Are you saying that you use no lube at all, just WD40?
Chas;
Yes, occasionally WD-40, NO CHAIN LUBE

1st you're riding on the street ....no slurry of mud, if you delete the chain lube there is nothing to keep grit around
2nd water is the Universal Solvent, it carries everything away
at 60mph your rear sprocket is turning ~840rpm the CS sprocket 2240rpm
so they are slinging the water and anything else off
like I said I have 33,000+mi on my chain and sprockets, the rollers are bright and shiny the chain has been rarely adjusted (when needed)

there is nothing wrong with running a Scott Oiler....... it's just not necessary with O-ring chains.....
on a 4 stroke dirt bike just route the crankcase breather to the inside of the bottom run of the chain.....lubed and clean:wink2:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, Dons, I priced out a few options for comparisons with The Sprocket Center. They have more selectable options to choose from and decent pricing, but with the Canadian dollar adding 30% and the flat shopping rate to Canada it makes the ebay option much more affordable...even from the UK. My choice could be made for me if the US cuts off trade with us, haha.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sorry to Hi-Jack this thread! I am looking at a new chain and sprockets for my B4 750s and came across THIS on Ebay. £135 delivered for a DID 520VX2 chain and stock AFAM sprockets.

It seems like a good deal, but I have never bought chains or sprockets before so don't know the good from the bad. Just wondered if any of you with more experience have used these brands before and if so if they are any good?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Sorry to Hi-Jack this thread! I am looking at a new chain and sprockets for my B4 750s and came across THIS on Ebay. £135 delivered for a DID 520VX2 chain and stock AFAM sprockets.

It seems like a good deal, but I have never bought chains or sprockets before so don't know the good from the bad. Just wondered if any of you with more experience have used these brands before and if so if they are any good?

Thanks
You might want to check with someone, like forum sponsors, who actually have a picture (idea) of what Brutale or MV sprockets look like mate. I know often images are just generally shared, but I would check.

There will be more threads on this topic in the Performance section too.

·
Registered
967 Posts

Thanks
Check too if they are for the original carrier or for a quick change carrier

1 - 20 of 27 Posts