MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding home tonight it is 30 degrees outside. The Brutale's temperature gauge says 144. The other day it was 21 degrees outside and even after letting the Brutale warm up to 192 degrees, once I started riding it the engine temperature fell down so low the numbers disappeared and the gauge started blinking. I am beginning to wonder if there is a thermostat in my cooling system or not. Wouldn't suprise me since I thought my license plate light was out, and when I went to replace it there wasn't even a bulb in there.

How cold does it have to be to not ride the bike? I know the tires suck in cold weather, the suspension barely moves and the brakes squeel. Is this a signal that the Brutale would rather be at home when it's below 40 degrees?
I never have problem when it's 40 degrees or above, but dip into the 30's or lower and I get an arguement every time.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
This goes nicely with the whole overheating question. It sounds to me like you have no thermostat or it is not working. The coolant is not remaining in the radiator long enough to cool. In your case, because the ambiant air is so cool, too much cold fluid is flowing past the thermostat.

Does anyone know why there are such wide swings in temp on these bikes? With a 170 degree thermostat, I think the bike should run around 170 degrees.

Does the fluctuation have anything to do with there being two temp sending units?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
CAG said:
In your case, because the ambiant air is so cool, too much cold fluid is flowing past the thermostat.

My main concern is the oil isn't getting heated up enough. The coolant, well I guess colder water/fluid cooling the cyclinders "might" give the motor a little more pep, that's all and good, but I am afraid the oil isn't reaching it's maximum temperature and that is what bothers me. On my cars when I installed an oil cooler, they always came with plastic covers to snap on them in the winter time to block air flow to make sure the oil would heat up.

The forecast says to expect 8 inches of rain around here tomorrow or the next day. When it stops I am going to experiment with covering the radiator to block air flow. I don't know what else to do. Since these things are oil to water cooled, I figure antifreeze that is too cold, might pass those low temps off onto the oil.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the coolant sensor is on the radiator, not the engine.
If this is the case, the radiator will be cooler than the motor as the thrmostat will flow little in order to keep the engine warm. Make sense??

I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I wouldn't worry either. I get that same flashing temp when the temps drop below 40's. After everday use in these conditions, the bike never once (knock on wood) gives any problems, and continues to run beautifully. I'm using Amsoil in my bike though, which might make a difference. Your bike should be fine.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
airfuel said:
If I'm not mistaken, the coolant sensor is on the radiator, not the engine.
If this is the case, the radiator will be cooler than the motor as the thrmostat will flow little in order to keep the engine warm. Make sense??

I wouldn't worry about it.
Yes, that does make sense now that you mention it. Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
curi0usmind said:
I wouldn't worry either. I get that same flashing temp when the temps drop below 40's. After everday use in these conditions, the bike never once (knock on wood) gives any problems, and continues to run beautifully. I'm using Amsoil in my bike though, which might make a difference. Your bike should be fine.
Amsoil, I love the stuff. I use it in my SUV but haven't put it in the MV yet.
Well I'll take your word for it, since you have experience riding when the temps are down low too and you haven't had any problems, I won't worry about it like you guys said.

Thanks everybody. As Bon Scott would say, " Ride On......."

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
What is the second sensor for? There is one on the rad and one on the engine isn't there?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is the second sensor for? There is one on the rad and one on the engine isn't there?
My guess is one measures water temp, that would be the radiator sensor, and the other would maybe measure the oil temperature, the sensor on the engine. They both would most likely turn on the fan when things got hot. Again, it's just my guess.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I've ridden when it was 30 degrees out on my brute and it ran ALOT better. Nice, dense, cold air works wonders.....tires suck, but performance is awesome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts