MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I have read a lot of hyped reviews on the new Tuono V4R and I have been wondering if anybody has ridden the new Tuono and how it compares to the 1090RR. I personally find the Tuono V4R to be one of the ugliest nakeds out there...but motorcycle journalists seem to love it.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Folks,

I have read a lot of hyped reviews on the new Tuono V4R and I have been wondering if anybody has ridden the new Tuono and how it compares to the 1090RR. I personally find the Tuono V4R to be one of the ugliest nakeds out there...but motorcycle journalists seem to love it.

Easy decision.....chicks or journalist? Chicks dig Brutie riders.....:naughty:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Agree - the Tuono is a damm good bike, but ugly as hell.:stickpoke

I am looking at the new 1090RR:mouthwate

I think there is one big add value with the Brute - is looks absolutely fantastic when you get out with your gear on ready for a ride. I personally wouldn't have that pleasure with the Tuono. Looks and detail does matter - when the ride is top notch.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In this MCN track comparisson the Tuono V4R comes on top

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/watch?v=EEuJnKcL5qw

But in the real world the truth is that the Tuono is uncomfortable (being a sports bike in the making), has a miserable fuel range and it just doesn't make sense. And it is butt ugly.

The folks at BIKE magazine tested the same bikes and actually the 1090RR beat them all in the 1/4 mile run. Plus it is the most comfortable, smoothest and most appealing one. Not to mention the "chick magnet" factor. Cheers! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
With the option to buy either I chose to get the 1090 RR. It's a better daily street bike, it's gorgeous, it's cheaper and an exotic MV. The Tuono V4 engine was a real temptation but it has looks only a mother could love and it's seat is a plank that makes dirt bikes seem comfortable. Buying the 1090 was a great decision at the time and I'd still make the same decision now.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have not ridden the V4 myself, but a mate of mine rode one on the roads in France. He said it was more uncomfortable than his 2011 ZX10R!

However, another friend has the 'Factory' version and for the track it goes like stink, has all the toys (steering damper, traction control (one that works well), quick shifter and anti wheelie) and with the same rider would more than likely be quicker than the 1090.

Personally, I would always stick with my Brutale over the V4, as I have said before, owning a bike is not about out and out performance, we all now a 600 with a good rider will outperform, or at least keep up with a 1000 with a lesser rider.

For me performance clearly is a factor, but as long as the bike does what you expect of it on the road or track, the final test of whether the bike is right is being able to turn your back on her and walk away. If you turn around for another glance and she draws you back everytime it passes.

MV's are the only bike that I can say that have done that for me.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
1090rr anyday,comfort is not what the v4r is about, looks like bee a runs like a hornet,good luck if you buy this bike damn ugly.:nutkick:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Couldn't agree more...a bike as ugly as the Tuono V4 doesn't deserve any further discussion. I am glad and extremely happy with my 1090RR.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
However, another friend has the 'Factory' version and for the track it goes like stink, has all the toys (steering damper, traction control (one that works well), quick shifter and anti wheelie) and with the same rider would more than likely be quicker than the 1090.
I don't know why people ask questions about other makes on this Forum............................always the same reply, everybody hates it, no one who replies has actually ridden it, and no one gets the facts right.

There is NO Factory V4 Tuono, they have'nt made one yet.

And I hate the 'a good rider on a 600 will.....bla bla.' thats just shit, we all ride as good or bad as we do, I don't give a toss if some superstar passes me on a old 600 when i'm out on my RSV4,theres a lot of people out there faster and with more talent than me, it's about ENJOYMENT ..................ride what lights your candle,,end of:

I rode one for a day as I struggeld to get a RSV4 on demo, I have also ridden a Brutale, although not the 1090RR.

I find the Brutale footrets very high, higher than the V4 T one's.

If I was in the market for a naked as wel as my sportsbike it would be the V4T, on initially getting on the bike the seat does feel very hard, however, I never noticed it for the rest of the day.

Performance wise it does go very well, the aprc bit works well although it is not a 'must' if buying one, both the RSV4 and V4T are manageable without it (whereas the likes of a S1000RR needs the elec trickery)

It is very well balanced and ever so quick down a good windy road

The exhaust noise is addictive, needs an akra and PCV to get the best out of it (and a lot smoother) like MV actually

The motor is not as refined as the MV, a little Ducati type lumpy

The gear box is probably better than the MV

Reliability is not as good as the MV

Spares are generally better than MV

Build quality hhmmm? overall probably about equal.

Tank range on a fairly quick run (80ish, hardish acceleration etc), my RSV4 (same tank) is about the same as Steve Woods F4, around 105 miles to the warning light, less if your a nutter.

For me? I am looking at ebay/autotrader every couple of days, if a secondhand (No wet use) V4T popped up cheap, I would like to think I would buy it.......................but in reality I would probably mess about till iy was sold then regret not buying :)

MCN group test..........you aint going to like it, no rose coloured specs anywhere: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEuJnKcL5qw

I guess the verdict here will be that the 5 well respected journo's are talking absolute bollocks? haha IMHO they have the KTM figured out correct (I owned one) I have not ridden a Streetfighter: The Triumph always does very well and I have never heard anyone say anything bad about it, Top 3 for the MV? thats ok, I suspect thats where I would put it, or maybe =2nd with the Triumph?

·
Registered
461 Posts
There is NO Factory V4 Tuono, they have'nt made one yet.

And I hate the 'a good rider on a 600 will.....bla bla.' thats just shit, we all ride as good or bad as we do, I don't give a toss if some superstar passes me on a old 600 when i'm out on my RSV4,theres a lot of people out there faster and with more talent than me, it's about ENJOYMENT ..................ride what lights your candle,,end of:
Mike

Ok as you quoted me, it is actually called the APRC. I just thought it might be easier to describe it as the Factory to distinguish it from the base model. See attached:
http://motorcyclemagazine.blogspot.com/2011/08/2011-aprilia-tuono-v4r-aprc-review.html

I think you have also misunderstood what is was driving at, I think the Tuono is a fine bike and I am in the same camp as you in that "I do not give a toss" if anyone comes past me on a 600 it is about your own enjoyment. I was just trying to point out that there are occasions when cubic capacity is not all that matters. I was only putting across a personal view. Maybe I worded it wrongly AGAIN!

·
Registered
694 Posts
I was so excited when I read that a V4 Tuono was coming out. It sounded like the perfect bike. Even if it had an ugly headlight like the old one, that could be fixed with a light from a Shiver.

But when I finally saw the bike I couldn't believe it. It was like a sick joke. I like to think I am not overly superficial, but there's just no way I could get a bike that made me nauseous when I looked at it.

I'm sure it must be a great bike in every other respect - there's no way Aprilia could sell any of them if it wasn't.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Mike

Ok as you quoted me, it is actually called the APRC. I just thought it might be easier to describe it as the Factory to distinguish it from the base model. See attached:
http://motorcyclemagazine.blogspot.com/2011/08/2011-aprilia-tuono-v4r-aprc-review.html

I think you have also misunderstood what is was driving at, I think the Tuono is a fine bike and I am in the same camp as you in that "I do not give a toss" if anyone comes past me on a 600 it is about your own enjoyment. I was just trying to point out that there are occasions when cubic capacity is not all that matters. I was only putting across a personal view. Maybe I worded it wrongly AGAIN!

OK, Aprilia make a V4 Tuono and a V4 Tuono aprc, historically the 'Factory' version has always been fitted with Ohlins, carbon this and that and forged wheels, I was expecting a 'factory' Tuono V4aprc this year at Milan, but it didn't appear

·
Registered
988 Posts
I saw a new Tuono at a track day recently, what I saw and heard, I got to tell ya, I liked it, I liked it a lot.

Because I already have an MV, I would certainly consider this bike over a Brutale. I owned and sold a Brutale 750S a while ago.

If I had no bike, and if it got down to a choice between the Tuono and the Brutale.........

It's such a subjective question, and rarely do we do things for one reason alone.....

One things for sure, I've got no more money for big boy toys at the moment :bawling:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here is what the well respected Tor Sagen wrote about the Brutale 1090RR:

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2010-mv-agusta-brutale-1090rr-launch-88790.html

Quote: "Who wouldn’t like to own and ride an MV Agusta at least once during a lifetime? I’ve been lucky enough to ride all incarnations of the Brutale from the first 750 through to the latest 1090RR. Not once have I been disappointed. Sure there are niggles and small complaints and it’s nowhere near the cheapest ride in the world but the Brutale is more than just a motorcycle. I find the Brutale to be a symbol of what we’re all struggling to find in life; beauty, perfection, precision, performance and general satisfaction. The 750, 910, 990, 1078 and now the 1090 have left me with strong first impressions. The Brutale makes you feel special in a brutal and sexy way."

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
...and here is Tor's take on the Tuono V4R APRC:

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/aprilia/2011-aprilia-tuono-v4r-aprc-review-90819.html

Quote: "The seat is hard and not very comfortable, so it didn’t take too many miles before I felt a bit wooden in my seat muscles. The Tuono is that type of compromise, but it is miles more comfortable than the RSV4 R superbike. The Tuono V4R is the roadbike for the rider that would otherwise ride a supersport but with a more upright riding position. Because I tell you the power and the handling is there."

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
...and here is Tor's take on the Tuono V4R APRC:

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/aprilia/2011-aprilia-tuono-v4r-aprc-review-90819.html

Quote: "The seat is hard and not very comfortable, so it didn’t take too many miles before I felt a bit wooden in my seat muscles. The Tuono is that type of compromise, but it is miles more comfortable than the RSV4 R superbike. The Tuono V4R is the roadbike for the rider that would otherwise ride a supersport but with a more upright riding position. Because I tell you the power and the handling is there."
You missed this bit:

The 2011 Aprilia Tuono V4R APRC is possibly the most extreme streetfighter-type streetbike ever made. Aprilia have upped the ante by a large measure. The V4 engine with its 167 horsepower is one of the best in the business, and its handling is exemplary. Oh, yes, the Tuono V4R is that good.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, it is a potent track tool, I agree. But for some of us track riding isn't a priority.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i have owned a speed triple and have read many MCN tests not just the one with the MV . I can honestly say they are bie!st towards british bikes . There is no way a speed triple is as good as a 1090 and thats a fact

1 - 20 of 27 Posts