MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a cold engine, can someone try the following.

Engine stop switch on (so start is disabled)
Ignition on
After the rpm sweep, select a gear

Do the fans come on ?

Cheers
Adam

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are having trouble sleeping go and read the manual and see if you can figure out the connection between the neutral switch and the fans !

I'm supposed to be working ;)

Adam

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
874 Posts
If you are having trouble sleeping go and read the manual and see if you can figure out the connection between the neutral switch and the fans !

I'm supposed to be working ;)

Adam

I have no trouble sleeping i am just not sleepy. :)
The problem could be a fuse.
Look at the bright side at least the bike wont get hot with the fans starting at 0 Celsius...lol...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Hi Merc when i get home this afternoon i will check on mine, just as a "in case i have the same problem" if its a problem. btw what yr is yours?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Its not a fuse, everything is working.
The fans turn off if I release the kill switch so they are not on all the time !

The diodes are OK, already checked them although not using the procedure in the manual - that makes no sense what so ever, where does the 1.4 - 1.5v come from ?

Any how, it does the same with the diodes unplugged.

The clutch switch doesn't work but that's probably because its a pressure switch
I can start it in gear with the stand up and the clutch switch shorted.

The original fault was no neutral light so couldn't start it as the clutch switch doesn't work, the neutral came back on it's own but then I noticed the fans - wasn't sure if it was normal or part of the problem ?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried a standard eprom, just in case, but not the ecu just yet although I do have a spare ducati one.

Looking at the diagram, the kill switch gives the ecu power via the power & latch relays.
The ecu then puts 12v to the fan relay ground side as they are below temperature. - all as it should be with the kill switch in the run position.

With the kill switch in the stop postion, without the ecu powered, the fans are coming on only when the bike is in gear, also at this point the neutral light is dim.

Where is the fan relay - doesn't show it in the manual ?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Where is the fan relay - doesn't show it in the manual ?
Adam
If it is the same as my 750 the fan relay is on the RHS mounted on the frame rail just beside the top of the upper rad, held to the frame with a rubber tie wrap.

Jim

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Adam
If it is the same as my 750 the fan relay is on the RHS mounted on the frame rail just beside the top of the upper rad, held to the frame with a rubber tie wrap.

Thanks, or above the fuses, I'll have a look tomoz.
Jim
It's a sticky neutral switch
I guess the easiest way is get to the connector under the tank and test it from there. Why would that make the fans come on though, thats the part I don't get -

·
Registered
874 Posts
I guess the easiest way is get to the connector under the tank and test it from there. Why would that make the fans come on though, thats the part I don't get -
Because its Italian and does what it wants when it comes to electrical..:laughing::laughing:

·
King of Bling
9,825 Posts
Adam...

You probably done this already, but have you checked the condition of all the earth connections ?.. You have a better idea of electrics than most of us on here, so asking us is like the blind leading the blind :)

Do you know Steve in Scotland ?... Used to be called Hartly Hare on the forum.. He would be the best guy to ask about this problem.. I still speak to Steve on the phone once a week and if you like, I could ask him about this issue next time we chat..

Try sending him a PM, as he might reply ( and I’ll pre-warn him that you could be getting in touch with him).

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Probably worth pulling the connector to temp sensor at the Cylinder head # 27 and checking the resistance across it when cold .

You could switch on and see if the fans are activated with this sensor disconnected and the terminals bridged as suggested in the 1000s manual. The ECU grounds the fan relay # 47 in this feedback loop.

I did a test on my 2007 1000R . Later model but there may be some commonality. The temp sensors are the same across the two models. It is also worth noting that the rad temp sensor and CHT sensor are same part number so you could swap the connectors temporarily and see what results.

From cold.

I disconnected the Cylinder head temp sensor.

I didn't bridge the connector terminals.

Switch on..Fans are off

Start engine..fans come on even though the engine is cold...

I switched off the engine at the ignition switch.

Reconnected the CH temp sensor.

Switch on at key...No fans

Start engine...No fans.

Voltage at sensor connector terminal = 5.04 Volts

Seems that full resistance ( Open ) brings the fans in. This is contrary to normal system operation I think as the sensor lowers it's resistance as the temperature rises.

My 07 also when switched on and engine off and connector bridged..fans didn't come on.

Good luck..Hopefully it isn't anything nasty inside the ECU

joe

Attachments

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The fans come on only when the engine stop is ON AND a gear is selected. The neutral switch then acts as a fan switch !

At this point there is no power to the ecu.

The ecu normally puts 12v to the fan relay, switching to ground to activate the fans. Without the ecu on (engine stop on) there is no 12v but why the neutral switch acts as a fan switch, who knows ?

With the engine stop in run mode or the engine is running, the fans work as normal, only coming on at the set 88C.

It's not a massive problem other than I had an issue finding neutral and thought if its not supposed to do this then its a bit weird ;)

I'll see if I have time to check the voltages again later....

Adam

1 - 20 of 24 Posts