MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I’m relatively new here and yes there are hundreds of threads on oil and I did use the Search feature. I use AMSOIL in all my toys and to my pleasant surprise they do make a 10W-60 oil as well, although it’s classified as Dirt Bike oil.
I’m curious if anyone has used this oil in their F4 and can share their thoughts.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I use Mobil 1 20w-50. But my bike is track only. Amsoil is good stuff, I was sponsored by them at one point. Great products.

Reactions: Bourkeco

·
Registered
162 Posts
That has been the only I have had in my bike since I have owned it. For me it's easy to find because I just go to the nearest Harley Davidson shop.

·
Super Moderator
24,431 Posts
I also exclusively use AMSOil 10W60 in my F4 and B4. I use their other products in my other machinery.

Reactions: esq'z me

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yes, been using this product for years. Excellent protection for your bike. As Chuck says, I use AMSOil in all my vehicles including small engines. Since they don't make 5w-40, I ended up using 0w-40 in my BMW K1600 and the bike was running better and smoother up until I traded it at 14k miles. Now using it in my S1000r. Sorry to ramble but think they make a great product.

Reactions: silentservice703

·
Super Moderator
24,431 Posts
... Since they don't make 5w-40, ...
They have 4 different 5W40 oils. Just check the specs and make sure they meet or exceed. I can't remember offhand which one I use in my 2015 B3 800RR.

Bottle Liquid Product Alcoholic beverage Font

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great info. Thanks guys. I was torn between getting the AGIP (ENI) 10W-60 which my dealer says, he can get for $120 CAD per gallon. Or I can just get AMSOIL 10W-60 for $80 CAD. I can’t imagine the AGIP oil to be that much different (better) than AMSOIL.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Sorry Chuck should've specified powersports specific 5W-40.

·
Old Wing Nut
22,695 Posts
Sorry Chuck should've specified powersports specific 5W-40.
Oil is oil.... labels like "Big Twin"..."Powersports"..."Motocross"...."ATV"...."Racing"...they're just marketing.
Check for latest SAE API rating (SM or N) and JASO MA or higher.
Pick the brand you like...they all have their own additive package...and ride away.
You really cant go wrong if they meet those 2 standards.

·
Super Moderator
24,431 Posts
^^^What Ed said!!!!^^^^

·
Registered
2011 Brutale 1090RR
36 Posts
Another Canadian vote for Motul 7100. 10W60 from Fortnine.

Reactions: stsouldier

·
Registered
306 Posts
^^^What Ed said!!!!^^^^
Not trying to take this thread off course so apologize in advance but always ready to learn. I was always told that auto specific oil has certain additives that could cause clutch slippage in motorcycles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not trying to take this thread off course so apologize in advance but always ready to learn. I was always told that auto specific oil has certain additives that could cause clutch slippage in motorcycles.
This is true.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So after all the feedback from you guys and a little bit of my own research, I have narrowed it down to two oils. It's gonna sound like splitting hair but being an engineer, that's what we do. Lol. So here it goes. AMSOIL makes a 10W60 oil which is compliant with JASO MA standard (older standard with less stringent friction requirement). But they put some additives in there to enhance "clutch feel" essentially adding more friction. And they claim, this oil is suitable for Dirt Bikes and MotoCross racing.

On the second hand I have Motul 7100 10W60 which is an Ester based formulation that complies with JASO MA2 standard. JASO MA2 standard (2006) has a higher minimum friction requirement than JASO MA. So inherently this oil must have more friction additives (or I guess less additives) to enhance friction and clutch feel. My bike F4RR was produced in 2012 and the engine was re-designed for the 2010 MY. At that time the JASO MA2 standard was already out. But MV still recommends a JASO MA oil which is supposed to be slippier. Unless AGIP was only making JASO MA at the time.

Again as I said, now we are splitting hair. But does anyone have any thoughts on this conundrum? I am not trying to start an oil war but I just want to use what's best for the bike.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm going to blow this thread up by admitting that I put Shell Rotella 5w40 T6 in my Turismo.
She did not care.... but my wallet did.

Sorry I had to do it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm going to blow this thread up by admitting that I put Shell Rotella 5w40 T6 in my Turismo.
She did not care.... but my wallet did.

Sorry I had to do it.
Remember Ducati folks using the same in their twins.

·
Registered
2011 Brutale 1090RR
36 Posts
Remember Ducati folks using the same in their twins.
I’m a Ducati “folk”, I only use Rotella in my wife’s VFR’s. My Ducati’s get Motul 7100, just like my Brutale. 15w50 for the Ducs and 10w60 for the Brutale. The VFR‘s just live on Rotella 10w40. I did have a BMW and it got the leftovers…. LOL.

·
Old Wing Nut
22,695 Posts
Again as I said, now we are splitting hair. But does anyone have any thoughts on this conundrum? I am not trying to start an oil war but I just want to use what's best for the bike.
The newer the oil spec the better it is (theoretically). The main thing about the JASO specs is they preclude friction modifiers that affect wet clutch plates. JASO spec oils are specifically designed for engines that share the lubrication supply with transmissions and clutches. Something cars do not. Transmission gears eat oil alive, shearing the molecular chains horribly. So JASO oil must have shear resistance.
It is the transmission and wet clutch that make any automotive oils (non JASO) a poor choice for a motorcycle.
Here's the deal....any modern JASO rated oil with a newer API rating will be wonderful in your bike. Choose the brand that appeals to you and your wallet. You really can't go wrong.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts