MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but was inundated with mostly threads about people talking about trailering their bikes places, not really talking about the equipment.

The backstory is I am thinking about picking up a BMW 328 (the acutal 3.0 6, not the turbo) and BMW makes a 200/2000 hidden hitch for it. The plan is for this to be a general utility vehicle and one of those utilities might be trailering the bike with a trunk full of crap to the track.

Im actually looking at a wagon (or touring if youre self-concious) so the trailer will ONLY be holding the MV. I see TONS of trailers that will fit the spec of the car but Id love for it to be as light as possible while still being safe. The thought is the less weight the car has to tow the better, more responsive and easier on the car.

Ive been looking at the minimalist open trailers like the Trailer-in-a-bag, the Kendon and other collapsible types. I love the collapsible idea as I live in the city with a two car garage and cant just leave a trailer outdoors.

Anyone have experience with these or can recommend something similar (specifically as light as possible)? I dont need any/much more than 500lbs capacity since I am not hauling that chrome bus Randy calls a bike.

·
Super Moderator
22,446 Posts
Hi Ryan,

I have used the Kendon...it was at Bub II...

Granted I pulled it with my truck, but it was a very stable platform. My feeling is that the trailer needs to be of stable construction, with sufficient length of the hitch arm, so that the towed device doesn't sway behind you. The Kendon product was stable. I would have an issue, no matter what the advertising claims, of a trailer you reassemble each time you use it. One bad connection and you are out one very nice bike...and liable for whatever it happens to careen into!

Another company that makes a great procust...and it stands up by cranking it up...it the Baxley Trailer. Were I looking for a light weight, easy to store unit, this is what I would buy hands down.

http://www.baxleycompanies.com/

Following are some pictures of the Kendon two bike unit in use:

DSCN6003r.jpg

DSCN5962r.jpg

A couple of things to consider: 1) The hitch ball height is very important. On the Kendon, the spare is carried under the trailer and it can hit the pavement...it makes a horrible noise and isn't good for the tire! 2) The hidden hitch on the BMW, if it is the same as the one on the New X3, is a very trick unit...make sure someone shows you exactly how it works and try it before you leave the point of purchase.

·
Administrator
20,013 Posts
I have a friend that had a Baxley fold up...used it to haul his Harley to Sturgis...he really liked it.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only thing that might be problematic about the baxley is, for a single bike trailer, they are as heavy as the bike. Id really like to keep the tongue weight and overall weight down so I dont need to have to worry about even pushing the limits of the car. Overwise Id love to have a nicer/wider "drive on" type trailer but the garages are city garages (aka tight) and I definitely couldnt leave it outdoors.

Im not too concerned about the idea of assembling/disassembling it. It looks like the vast majority of it is 4 parts and then the lights. I probably wouldnt even break most of it down, just hang it in the garage or put it in the back of the wagon. Id probably replace the pins with locked harware in those cases.

As for the hydralift it looks like a cool piece of kit but it seems odd to have the bike sideways, seems like it would increase the risk of clipping/rocks/etc. If they did that straight-on with a ball Id be all over it.

·
Administrator
20,013 Posts

·
Administrator
20,013 Posts

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Not sure about the tongue weight. I can move my trailer around with both bikes on it. I think the trailer is only about 400lbs total.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Ryan, buy a dahamn pickup truck.......living inside the Perimeter is cutting off the blood to your brain......

·
Registered
30 Posts
I spoke with a guy who had the trailer in a bag at the track this past weekend. He had no problem regularly hauling his track bike 7h from Boston to southern NJ. It seemed well put together honestly.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I did a search but was inundated with mostly threads about people talking about trailering their bikes places, not really talking about the equipment.

The backstory is I am thinking about picking up a BMW 328 (the acutal 3.0 6, not the turbo) and BMW makes a 200/2000 hidden hitch for it. The plan is for this to be a general utility vehicle and one of those utilities might be trailering the bike with a trunk full of crap to the track.

Im actually looking at a wagon (or touring if youre self-concious) so the trailer will ONLY be holding the MV. I see TONS of trailers that will fit the spec of the car but Id love for it to be as light as possible while still being safe. The thought is the less weight the car has to tow the better, more responsive and easier on the car.

Ive been looking at the minimalist open trailers like the Trailer-in-a-bag, the Kendon and other collapsible types. I love the collapsible idea as I live in the city with a two car garage and cant just leave a trailer outdoors.

Anyone have experience with these or can recommend something similar (specifically as light as possible)? I dont need any/much more than 500lbs capacity since I am not hauling that chrome bus Randy calls a bike.
Remember that overall payload is going to be your mitigating factor here. You may be better off to put a little more weight on the trailer, so you don't overload the car's suspension. Many people don't realize how little payload their vehicle can carry.

payload is the weight of Persons, cargo, equipment, and tongue weight on a car.

Just for reference. My Honda Civic has a payload of 780 lbs. That isn't very much, and I'm sure the 3 series isn't much more. So theoretically if I carry 4 people at 200 lbs with nothing else in the car, it would be overloaded. Food for thought when you're loading the car up. That weight is going to be some where. Personally I'd rather it be on the trailer. You may also want to look into getting a small surge brake set for your trailer to take some of the extra strain of your vehicles brakes.

Just looking at Chuck's picture there I can almost certainly tell you he had that Ram well overladen. There's probably 1000lbs just in the bed, not withstanding people and gear in the truck and the tongue weight. And if that is a pre-08 4x4, their maximum payload with the crew cab was a little over 1500 lbs.

·
Super Moderator
22,446 Posts
Let's see: ME, 250: Cin, 135; two Monsters at say 350 each; trailer tongue about 200 that's 1285 plus cargo. I'd say we were fine.

GVWR = 6700 lbs
Max Towing = 8700 lbs
Truck Curb Weight = 4952 lbs
Therefore, payload = 6700 - 4952 = 1748 lbs

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Let's see: ME, 250: Cin, 135; two Monsters at say 350 each; trailer tongue about 200 that's 1285 plus cargo. I'd say we were fine.

GVWR = 6700 lbs
Max Towing = 8700 lbs
Truck Curb Weight = 4952 lbs
Therefore, payload = 6700 - 4952 = 1748 lbs

:) I wasn't calling you out Chuck, and thanks for putting that down on paper. What I'm saying is that payload is the most often thing overlooked when trailering. People load down the car with cargo and people. Then they say "oh this has a 7000 lb trailering capacity. I'll put my 6800 lb camper behind it and it'll be fine just fine." When really they've overloaded the combined weight rating by 1800 lbs.

I got to learn about all this stuff in fancy car selling school. :stickpoke

·
Super Moderator
22,446 Posts
:) I wasn't calling you out Chuck, and thanks for putting that down on paper. What I'm saying is that payload is the most often thing overlooked when trailering. People load down the car with cargo and people. Then they say "oh this has a 7000 lb trailering capacity. I'll put my 6800 lb camper behind it and it'll be fine just fine." When really they've overloaded the combined weight rating by 1800 lbs.

I got to learn about all this stuff in fancy car selling school. :stickpoke
Jey Josh...didn't think you were calling me out. I'm a Nuke, nerdy BS calcs are part of my genetics. When I load something up, or do anything else in life, somewhere you can bet I've looked at the specs and know where I stand within the margin.

·
Registered
986 Posts
After towing for years- from experience I'd suggest you get a double axle trailer, this will be more steady, less prone to any weaving & if you have a blow out then it won't result in flipping the trailer- also go for one that's got a bit of weight to it and has shockers or leaf springs- if it's light it'll be going airborne over every bump even with a bike on it!! Not fun and likely to result in a not too pretty sight @ some point.

A specific branded bike trailer if double axle would be good- personally I use a machinery trailer- this has a mesh ramp that forms the rear of the trailer so loading & unloading is easy- plenty of tie down points, good weight & balance, built to outlast humanity and has sprung wheels + double axle-

http://www.farmingmachines.co.uk/machinery/M15228

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
I don't want to have to maintain a truck and find a place to keep the damned thing just to tow a bike.
Ryan, let me talk sloooooow........buy the pickup instead of the BMW. The maintenance will surely be less than any BMW, and it'll do exactly what you want, safely and securely......unless being a snooty hooty ITP'er* emasculates you to the point that you can't be seen in a manly vehicle? :stickpoke

*(ITP'er stands for Inside The Perimeter, the circular interstate around Atlanta. There's ITP, OTP, and WOTP.......Way Outside The Perimeter......that's me) :)

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
After towing for years- from experience I'd suggest you get a double axle trailer, this will be more steady, less prone to any weaving & if you have a blow out then it won't result in flipping the trailer....
Agree big time.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts