MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you see one of the guad tip's from a MV F4-1000 exhaust system laying around somewere alone the NJ turnpike, by the George Washington bridge it's mine!?!
I was coming back from PA on Friday afternoon. Traffic was good on my side of the road and I was running at a good clip (100+) on my way back to the city. I stoped for gas on the turnpike just before getting on the G.W. and all was in place at that time, but by the time I got home, one of the four exhaust tips was gone.
I spoke with my dealer about the missing tip and they are to replace it under warranty. But now I'm worried about how they plan on making the repair, because the area of the underseat collector were it connects has to be weaker now that the original piece has come off. So my concern now is how they are plaining to make the repair. Obviously I'd like the complete rear tail piece changed out. Well have to see what MV's take on it is though.
:green: :argue:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
wow. this is the second time i've heard/seen this.

the first time, it happened to an F4 750 right infront of me! we were on mulholland heading to the rock store when a black tube object came leaping off, or from what i thought was under, the F4 ahead of me. at first i thought the guy hit a piece of PVC pipe or something, but then as i got a good look at the object, i realized it was the tail pipe extension!

is this a common failure for the organ pipe exhaust?

alex

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
proably jsut a freak MFg defect...I have disassembled a set before and the tips are fit very tightly to the inner sleeve, plus there are 4 stainless rivets that must be drilled out (one the outer sleeves) before you can even attempt to remove it.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Since the pipes are only held in by a couple of rivets, the first thing I did was get a centre punch and tap each rivets, cause one of the pipes was slightly loose.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lewdog998 said:
proably jsut a freak MFg defect...I have disassembled a set before and the tips are fit very tightly to the inner sleeve, plus there are 4 stainless rivets that must be drilled out (one the outer sleeves) before you can even attempt to remove it.
Just so everyone knows, it appears to have been it this inner sleeve ring (the one that the rivets go through) that came away from the exhaust system, which caused me to loose the tip. The thing was that it doesn't look like the rivets portion had come off, but rather the ring connection to the base of the exhaust is what had given way. It looks like this portion was spot welded to me and this came loose causing the lose of the tip with ring and all.
Paul

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I spoke with my dealer (Gold Coast Motors- Long Island New York) and there 90% sure that they will be replacing the entire back piece complete, once the claim is made with MV for the parts. So will see. :guitarist

1 - 11 of 11 Posts