MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Could be a good deal. if it's close, go see it. Verify the Vin, the title, and have it checked to make sure it is not stolen and that it is a USA bike. I remember someone trying to buy USA frames a couple years ago because they had two bikes brought in from over seas and they reportedly couldn't register them. I have no clue on the laws/restrictions I just know it would suck to buy a bike and find out later that you couldn't register it.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Nothing to indicate it's an *obvious* fraud and those are all outed pretty quickly. Lots of good deals to be had on ebay because a lot of people are afraid of buying long distance or incorrectly assume every good deal is "too good to be true". Tough selling a bike this time of year and lots of parts of the country are locked in snow and ice, so deals are out there.

A little common sense goes a long way. A bona fide seller will do everything he can to show it's a real deal. Start by getting him to send you a pic of the bike with today's newspaper in the shot. That shows he's actually got the bike and didn't just lift some photos from another ad. Then get the guy's phone number and the VIN. Your MV dealer or Cagiva USA can determine if it's a legal import, stolen, etc... Ask where he bought it and the salesman's name. Call them for verification. It's an MV, not something they sell a million of...so good chance they'll remember it.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got an email from his wife asking me to email her my phone number so Her husband could call me. So far he hasn't. I can check the vin on my own to find out if it is stolen and if not who it is registered to.

It is close enough that I can drive down and see it. Once I talk to the owner, if I talk to him, I will ask some of the questions you folks have suggested.

Thanks for the input.

CAG

·
Registered
756 Posts
emmvee said:
Nothing to indicate it's an *obvious* fraud and those are all outed pretty quickly. Lots of good deals to be had on ebay because a lot of people are afraid of buying long distance or incorrectly assume every good deal is "too good to be true". Tough selling a bike this time of year and lots of parts of the country are locked in snow and ice, so deals are out there.

A little common sense goes a long way. A bona fide seller will do everything he can to show it's a real deal. Start by getting him to send you a pic of the bike with today's newspaper in the shot. That shows he's actually got the bike and didn't just lift some photos from another ad. Then get the guy's phone number and the VIN. Your MV dealer or Cagiva USA can determine if it's a legal import, stolen, etc... Ask where he bought it and the salesman's name. Call them for verification. It's an MV, not something they sell a million of...so good chance they'll remember it.
Totally agree...you just need to do a little diligence. The only suspicious thing about the auction is the picture must be fairly old. But that's not necessarily a problem. This seller hasn't done much on ebay...but everyone has to start somewhere.

·
Registered
367 Posts
spalding12 said:
i never shop for bikes on eBay....
for reasons such as this

the number of LEGITIMATE sales are outnumbered by those that are not... by a factor of 1,000,000:1
Buying a bike off ebay should be approached the same way as in the paper, go see it. No risk then.

·
Registered
26 Posts
CAG said:
I spoke to the owner's wife who said the bike was bought in 2002 from a dealer in freeport, LI. Her husband is the original owner and he and his partner were collecting bikes at the time. She said the bike was hardly driven (as you can tell by the miles) and always kept in doors.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
MVorBMW said:
The only suspicious thing about the auction is the picture must be fairly old. But that's not necessarily a problem.
Yeah, as cold as it is on LI, he's either in no mood to take any outdoor photos right now or just wants to use one that makes the bike look better than a "corner of the garage" shot. Can't blame him either way. ;)

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope someone on this forum buys it. I'm scraping money together for soulriders 1000.

CAG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts