MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't believe I'm even writing this. I'm 30-something, going on 80. Might as well cook up some mashed potatoes and start hollering about Preparation H.

Well, I tuned into "Super Bikes!" on SpeedTV tonight. Normally a good channel, but come on! It's "Biker Boyz" all over again. Just what we need.

All of that said, there was a very brief glimpse of a red/silver F4 on a track. Anyone we know here on the board?

For what it's worth, I shot a note to the higher powers at the network (most likely the admin on the 2nd floor... the one who simply hits "delete" to all inbound mail).

Anyway, I'm curious to see what others think of the show. Please don't take this as marketing for the show -- to the contrary, I wouldn't mind seeing it off the air.

Am I just getting old and cranky? Should I just wheelie and shut up?

-------

Well, this is a first - I've never been inspired to write in with a complaint about programming.

Please understand that I appreciate your network, particularly for its coverage of sporting events (F1, MotoGP, AMA superbike, etc.). But I must register my disappointment with "Super Bikes!" As an owner of arguably one of the world's top “super bikes” (MV Agusta), I can report that this program does little to help the majority of riders (who are indeed sane), nor, I believe your own commercial cause.

I'm surprised by the decision to air this show -- it portrays a subset of bike riders who should deservedly draw criticism from non-bikers and bikers alike. I would submit, though, that the overwhelming majority of "super bike" buyers do not engage in this sort of reckless behavior. Consider the price of the world's best bikes -- all north of $20k. The overwhelming majority of owners are responsible adults who enjoy these technological beauties whether they’re on display or on a track. We wouldn’t jeopardize our bikes, our lives, or the welfare of those around us in the manner your programming represents.

Conversations amongst our friends suggest that your market research may be off, or perhaps we’re not a target demographic. I’d tend to believe the former over the later; after all, we’re financially successful individuals who, of course, enjoy motor sports and all things supporting motor sports. And we clearly spend money on our passions. I’d guess that’s a fairly desirable group of viewers for a network such as yours.

Worse, though, our non-riding friends are finding that this show supports their stereotypical view that motorcycle owners are either “hell raisers” or “biker boyz.” I’m certain this is not an attractive programming proposition, and you’re therefore not helping to convert non motor sports fans into motor sports fans. Thus, you’re not creating new viewers nor improving market share.

Surely you’ve researched your market and have made an informed decision. If you’ve intentionally allowed a group of your fans to become alienated, you’ve succeeded. Until this show is discontinued, I’ll invest my energies in overturning your stereotype, and not in watching your programming nor supporting your sponsors.

Regards,
Thomas

·
Registered
730 Posts
I also watched it tonight and I would have to agree with you. While I applaud the effort to televise motorcycle programming, this show portrays all the reasons why non bike people don't like bikes. Thanks for writing to Speed about this show. :stir: Maybe the show will get better, but given the host is a stunt rider I doubt that it will. :bash:

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I actually thought the show was much better than last week. Mix of trackdays and street riding. Good dynamic of the many types of people involved.

Last week was a beer muscle shootout of testosterone, punching each other, wheelies and peeing on stuff! :bash: :loser: :eek:nthecan: :jerkoff: :nutkick:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Oh, let's not get our panties all in a bunch over this show. I saw it for the first time last night and wasn't terribly offended by it. Even if I was, I don't think we need to try and get it banned by signing petitions. After all, I didn't see anyone picketing in front of the theaters that were playing "Torque". That movie was a horrendous and ridiculous portrayl of sport bikers.
Imagine if you were a Harley owner and had to watch all these shows about some of the folks that attend Sturgis!
Life is easy these days, you don't even have to walk over to the TV to change the channel.

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
For one, I'm glad to see more motorcycle shows on Speed (Although still not to the level for which i'll be satisfied). I caught the most recent episode with the mix of bike-night, canyons, and trackday learning. I thought the end message was a good one, that in the end, it is "cheaper" and a lot more exciting to ride hard on a track than have an appearance in court.

I didn't quite agree with the focus at the bike night with all of the stunters, burnouts, and whatnot- but the community feeling was there. I really liked a lot of the focus on the track day where they showed some clips of body position, turning technique, and just pure fun.

Didn't see last weeks episode- and probably thankful for that!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Someone needs to pitch a true superbike show...seriously there is a lot of ground to cover between Moto, superbike , privateers and the mug punter doing the odd track day as well as tips etc for riding and bike set-up and tweeks..oh and what about future technologies for the componants and manufacturers...Dont a few of you guys live in LA???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts