MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not trying to rub it in or anthing, but I'd like to hear opinions from others.

I have a friend I race with who is quite gracious, and a little nutty, and he let me go out on the RC-30.

Only did about 5 laps, but holy cow. If they built this bike today, I would buy it. It's tiny. It's got enough power, even though it's 17 years old. It handles great, but kind of in a squatty way that older bikes handle. Your knee goes down so soon it's silly. It goes side to side WAY better than the MV. It holds lines well and just goes where you want it, something like a 600.

Anyone have one? Lucky!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
acruhl said:
Not trying to rub it in or anthing, but I'd like to hear opinions from others.

I have a friend I race with who is quite gracious, and a little nutty, and he let me go out on the RC-30.

Only did about 5 laps, but holy cow. If they built this bike today, I would buy it. It's tiny. It's got enough power, even though it's 17 years old. It handles great, but kind of in a squatty way that older bikes handle. Your knee goes down so soon it's silly. It goes side to side WAY better than the MV. It holds lines well and just goes where you want it, something like a 600.

Anyone have one? Lucky!

Love to have one.

It's no accident that virtually ALL of next year's MotoGP bikes will be V-4
s just like the RC-30. Centralization of mass is easier to attain with a V-4 and different crank configurations yield alternative power delivery types, i.e, big bang, evenly-sequenced four pulse...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heh, I physically can't ride a TZ250. And I have a friend of mine who is slightly bigger than me who rides one and I don't get it. My heels hit my backside! Apparently you need to work your body into position to make it work... What cool bikes though. When you get it right, there's nothing better. When you don't, you get passed by trackday newbies! Heh.

Anyway, I wonder if there is soemthing to this V-4 thing... So far: Honda, Suzuki, Ducati and Ilmor are doing it. That only leaves Yamaha and Kawasaki doing it the old fashioned way. I guess you could count Team KR as well...

Maybe we'll see a V-4 race replica again?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Never ridden an RC-30 but I've had a go on an NC-30, VFR-400R, and that was a hoot. Still plenty of those around secondhand in the UK, and they're virtually indistinguishable from the big brother apart from having a passenger pad. (Same goes for RVF-400 and RVF-750.)

Si

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
There's a local with one that paid I think $20 or $30K for one...it's MINT and all original.

Pretty bike, but it's still a Honduh, and I'de take an MV over it anyday, regardless of how rare that thing is....

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
oicdn said:
There's a local with one that paid I think $20 or $30K for one...it's MINT and all original.

Pretty bike, but it's still a Honduh, and I'de take an MV over it anyday, regardless of how rare that thing is....

Yeah, but the Honda rc30 is on the upswing in prices, i'm not sure the current crop of MV's are headed that way yet.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I'll take a vintage MV over one of those, any day of the week... Buying a vehicle should never be an investment. But if you are buying them as an investment, I have no idea why ANYBODY would buy an RC30 (unless they're a Honda fan), get an MV Cafe racer, or an original Pal Smart Duc. Definitly more heritage, alure, and deifnitly sexier. It may not be fast, but god damn do they ooze motorcyling history....

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Yes I have, and an RC45 too. :smoking:

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
john said:
Yes I have, and an RC45 too. :smoking:
Me too..... A mate has a RC30, I have tried all sorts of things to get him to sell it to me...... no chance...

The 45 IMO is the better bike, rode one over the mountain... best bike ever on the TT course that I have ever ridden.... would I buy one? Oh yes :ahhh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts