MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just FYI. Pro Italia will be getting two left over F4R. I know one is black/gray and the second will be a demo model with 400 miles and be priced less. I been told there's going to be big discounts on these.

Also, I do know a few 312 and F4R are still available to dealers from Cagiva USA and I'm thinking of trading in my 2006 F4S (which has just been serviced and waiting a new radiator) in to Pro Italia for a black/white or red/silver 312R. BUT.... I did have some questions from 312 owners who've had a F4S or F4R:

1) How's the low and mid-range on the 312R? I've heard the low and mid-range are a bit softer than the F4S and F4R but the on/off throttle is improved (smoother) on the 312?

2) How's the handling compared to the F4S? I'm riding of very tight, slow speed corners and the weight of the star wheels on the F4S are noticeable. Are the Brembo super lights a huge difference?

3) What's your overall opinion on the 312 now that you've had it a couple of months or years?

We still need to work out the big details like my trade so it's no where near a done deal but if the numbers are close enough, I'll pull the trigger. I've been told $10-$11 is a ball park figure. Alternatively, anyone interested in my F4 with 7,300 miles for $14,000? I just had the 7,500 service done (haven't picked up my bike since we're waiting for a radiator from MV Agusta).

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm looking for a 2008 312r right now! please P.M. with the details, and P.O.C.

Also, i lived in Scottsdale a few years ago, how do these bike like that dry heat, i plan on moving back in a year are two!

·
Registered
162 Posts
TBH I prefer my 1000S over the 312. The 312 runs too hot, is very stiff and feels taller for some reason. Actually think the S looks better too - cleaner and less fussy. Both make way too much power for road use which can be a good or bad thing!

If you are looking to get a "better" bike for the street Im not sure the 312 is better enough to justify the cost - unless you are a riding god. Id be looking to get a unsold 1000R as you still get the lighter wheels but they are a bit cheaper.

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
The 312 is taller, no if's or buts and it tended to try sit up when going into corners. I actually prefered the handling and set up of my EV03 750 to the 312, and as for looks there was no comparison the EV03 wins hands down exspecually with the silver star wheels.

Okay the 312 has the power but far too many times I found myself at 140/150mph+ very quickly which if caught in the U.K. you go to jail.
the EV03 will keep up with the 312 on normal riding (I dont care what anyone says), keep the EV03 in high revs (9-11k+)and its a dream to ride.

I cant compair to the F41000S as ive never had one, but once you have the 312R in your posession you will wonder what all the eagerness to have one was all about, personally after owning the 312 if I was you i would stick with the F41000S

and YES the 312 runs bloody hot, even here in freezing cold scotland

"the chase is always better than the catch"

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
"the chase is always better than the catch"
Wise man...

I liked the 1000S (picking up a blue grey one in an hour in exchange for the Brutale) a lot. Only complaint cold be hat the front brakes were little lacking on trackdays. The 312R certainly is more of a handful with not a lot more power. The throttle response wasn't improved that much.
The 1078RR is a big improvement though.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your responses. I know the 1000s are taller than the 750s which almot caused me not to get my F4S. But are you guys saying the 312 is even taller than the 1000S?

My reasons for trading in is mostly because of warranty. I missed the chance to get an extended warranty by two weeks and doubt MV's radiator reliability. Makes me wonder my I'm still looking at another MV.

In a worst case scenario, f the numbers don't work out, I'd also be fine keeping my S.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I was looking at trading up from the 1000s to the 312 but the dealer gave me a really crap trade in price. I had to put in an extra $12k to go to the 312. The 312 heated up very very quickly and was only slightly better at really high revs. The shocks were even harder than the 1000s. I couldn't justify the dollars for an updated model with different paint and wheels.

I agree with some people here, the 750 was a sweeter handling bike out of the box for road use compared to the 1000s and the 312.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got an e-mail from Bill Nation with Pro Italia. Both F4R's that they're getting soon are black and gray and he did say he can get a few more F4R and 312. Just let him know the color and the seating configuration if you're interested in one.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Have about three years saddle time with the 1000S, two years with the 312R. Zero issues with either, including the FI. Both are beyond the skills of non pro-level racers, so this shouldn't be a performance based decision. Can't tell a diff ergonomically between the two, including height. If the 312R is taller it is news to me.

The 312R can get hot if not moving, but you know, so did the 1000S... I had a warped fairing near the cat. Both are comparable in the sweepers and tightest of curves. Easy, confident, and planted. If there's a diff, it is the unearthly force unleashed by the 312R when twisting the throttle at higher RPMS. The 1000S has this kick but the 312R has a harder one.

Net, imo, they are for practical purposes, 98% identical. Your call if you think the 2% diff (appearance, usable performance, something new, etc.) is worth the $$$.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Allan, just put a few $k away as your own "warranty' fund, and enjoy your S. If something breaks, it will most likely still be thousands cheaper than buying a 312.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Thanks for your responses. I know the 1000s are taller than the 750s which almot caused me not to get my F4S. But are you guys saying the 312 is even taller than the 1000S?

My reasons for trading in is mostly because of warranty. I missed the chance to get an extended warranty by two weeks and doubt MV's radiator reliability. Makes me wonder my I'm still looking at another MV.

In a worst case scenario, f the numbers don't work out, I'd also be fine keeping my S.
they called me about extending--you think it's a good idea? i haven't had anything done since new under warranty and so didn't really consider it.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Allan, just put a few $k away as your own "warranty' fund, and enjoy your S. If something breaks, it will most likely still be thousands cheaper than buying a 312.
Thank John. That is my alternate plan if the deal doesn't go through.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
they called me about extending--you think it's a good idea? i haven't had anything done since new under warranty and so didn't really consider it.
Normally, I would just take the risk and keep the cash but with the F4's radiator (at least the older version), I probably won't take the chance. I don't do wheelie or ride on bumpy roads but it still cracked -twice!

I missed the chance to extend the warranty by two weeks but it's about $600 for an additional two years. A new radiator is $500 (which isn't as bad as I thought it would be) plus labor to install. So, that's the price of the warranty. I could just consider the price of the new radiator as the same money I'd pay for the warranty but what if the redesigned radiator also ends up cracking?

So, my alternate plan (relates to my response to Fazer6) is that if I keep my F4 and the new radiator cracks again, I would just have it repaired. I fought a few local shops that can also do the repairs for about $150 (which incidentally is 25% the cost of the extended warranty). ;)

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Main differneces Alan,(from a 1000S to 1000R, but R and 312 are similar)

You WILL notice the lighter wheels, just ask Ozzy Pete
Engine ecu more refined, more noticeable on downchanges
Not as much midrange in the 1000R and less in the 312 (I have ridden all 3 back to back)
Front brakes obviously sharper
Seat height is higher, mainly due to the 190/55 rear
312 runs hotter than the 1000R which ran hotter than the 1000S
Build quality not as good on later bikes as MV tried saving money from suppliers.
Basically just the same as you have with a few evolutions........not all good!!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Main differneces Alan,(from a 1000S to 1000R, but R and 312 are similar)

You WILL notice the lighter wheels, just ask Ozzy Pete
Engine ecu more refined, more noticeable on downchanges
Not as much midrange in the 1000R and less in the 312 (I have ridden all 3 back to back)
Front brakes obviously sharper
Seat height is higher, mainly due to the 190/55 rear
312 runs hotter than the 1000R which ran hotter than the 1000S
Build quality not as good on later bikes as MV tried saving money from suppliers.
Basically just the same as you have with a few evolutions........not all good!!
Thanks Mike. You're last sentences sums it up nicely. My big concern is the less mid-range.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Allan,

You can always change your gearing -1 in the front, are + the rear! That will give you all the mid range you need!

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Thanks Mike. You're last sentences sums it up nicely. My big concern is the less mid-range.
From memory (which aint what it used to be!) the 1000R was approx 5-7hp down in the midrange and the 312 a further handfull down on the 1000R, so probably 10 hp down on the 1000S from 4500-7500rpm, IMHO this is why MV went to 1078, it was the only way to keep the big top end figures and put the midrange back.

I spoke to a well known UK dealer (red Dog) some time back, his take on it was the 1000R was a better bike than the 312, you got the latest wheels/brakes/ecu but kept more of the midrange than the 312, he was also of the opinion the 1078 was to regain the midrange, a great shame that MV apparantly have not upped the cooling system on the 1078 to suit the bike.

It is also funny on the colour thing, when the 3 of us (me + 2 friends) all rode MV's (1000s red/silver, 1000R back/grey, 312 white/black) whenever we stopped for a break and the 3 bikes where parked together people would ALWAYS stop and look at the oldest of the 3.......the 1000S red/silver, even when the 312 was barely 1 week old, same thing happens now except one of the 3 has changed marque:naughty:

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, would you say the F4 312's power delivery would be like the F4 750s? Really fluffy on the low end and then wakes up at the high end? I remember switching from a 750 to the 1000S was like riding totally different brands.

Thanks Mike and everyone. I'm feeling less pressure to trade-in my F4S.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Allen, How does your bike run in AZ with the heat, shit if i still lived in Scottsdale we could go to the dealer and beat them up at the same time for a pair of 312's, LOL!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Allen, How does your bike run in AZ with the heat, shit if i still lived in Scottsdale we could go to the dealer and beat them up at the same time for a pair of 312's, LOL!
I never had my F41000 when I was in Arizona. I had two 750s and they dealt with stop-go traffic pretty well (remember when the 60 was under construction in 2001) and 105 degree trips to L.A. They never over heated but the belly pan did have some burns. I don't know how well the 1000 would handle the stop-go traffic but if you're moving, then it's probably not going to be an issue.

I haven't really talk to the Scottsdale dealership since it was sold to the GoDaddy guy but the dealer I've been working with is Pro Italia in Glendale, CA. They're the ones who are getting the two black/gray F4Rs for $16.2K and $16.8K and are looking to see what 312s are still available. www.proitalia.com

1 - 20 of 26 Posts