MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to build a 12cell A123 battery pack for my F4 and Im having a hard time finding 8" diameter heat shrink tubing to seal the pack once done. Anyone know where to get some?

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Let me see if I can find the link. FWIW an 8 cell pack seems more than adequate. My "test" pack is sealed with duct tape since the 150mm Heat shrimk I bought was too small.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeff, thanks, but I dont see any 8" diameter size on their site.

Rob, I know 8 cell is enough, but I want the extra juice since I have a HID installed. And I never want to use a battery tender again :D

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Jeff, thanks, but I dont see any 8" diameter size on their site.

Rob, I know 8 cell is enough, but I want the extra juice since I have a HID installed. And I never want to use a battery tender again :D
You won't a123's hold their static charge indefinitely...

BTW, you will only use the battery to start the bike, once running the lights get their juice from the alternator ;)

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldnt say indedinitely, but lets just say if I dont ride it for 2-3 months, it wont need a battery tender hooked up or jumpstart like it does now. Plus its lighter, and its not laying on its side, so there is no risk of acid leaking all over my bike.

·
Registered
180 Posts
8" diameter is big, some of our high voltage cables are even bigger and we still use heat shrink tube. However at that size, the stuff we use is very thick, seriously expensive and the tube is impregnated with a glue (which melts and seals the joint as you heat it) so I've never considered using it.

However your friendly industrail electricity installer might be able to help you.

Andrew..

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. The diameter of a 12 cell pack comes to 7" if I keep the tabs thin. I found some 7" diamter heat shrink tubing, maybe I can make it fit by stretching the tuning a tad. Ill report back when I figure it out.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What heatshrink did they use on yours? And Ive seen their slection of heat shrink, frys has nothing close to 8"

·
Registered
324 Posts
I was looking at zeusinc.com, which makes ptfe heat shrink in that range - depending on the tubing, it requires between 400-650*F to recover. That kind of heat would destroy the cells. I'm thinking that the wraps that companies who build the packs use might be a slightly different product than plain industrial heat shrink.

Have you considered contacting a pack builder to see if they could sell you a couple pieces of whatever they're using?

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ive tried, no one has responded yet. If all els fails, Ill just wrap it up with some sort of tape and call it good I guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts