MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont mind the colour actually, i'd lose the big logo on the side but otherwise, dont think its too offensive

Im thinking its more in the region of $40,000

·
Registered
819 Posts
Ah, nothing like someone cranking a cold engine and immediately revving it....best thing you can do for a motor. Even better they proceed to do the very thing that fouls out plugs most quickly by cracking then releasing the throttle. Not a cake walk to change plugs on these bikes so lets just dump loads of fuel into the cylinders and then shut off the motor.

And surely that 40k remark is a spoof. I've got all out professional superbikes with all the bits and can't find a buyer at 40k. Hell, the electronics package on it alone cost 20k. Granted the bike looks fairly nice(minus the poor baby cow that died for that seat....horrible looking color btw) but not 40k nice.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Ah, nothing like someone cranking a cold engine and immediately revving it....best thing you can do for a motor. Even better they proceed to do the very thing that fouls out plugs most quickly by cracking then releasing the throttle. Not a cake walk to change plugs on these bikes so lets just dump loads of fuel into the cylinders and then shut off the motor.

And surely that 40k remark is a spoof. I've got all out professional superbikes with all the bits and can't find a buyer at 40k. Hell, the electronics package on it alone cost 20k. Granted the bike looks fairly nice(minus the poor baby cow that died for that seat....horrible looking color btw) but not 40k nice.
With all respect mate, how do you know the motor was cold ?
While on that subject, how do You warm a motor up, stand and idle, or rev it for long periods in neutral with no load on? I am really curious about this in all honesty, fouling plugs in this day and age, on a race bike with decent fuel and plugs in?

Ok BTW, that bike, as the question was, worth at least $50 000, as far as money spent - but you would not sell it for over $25000
I think.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No spoof - its Moto Corse at the end of the day. Its not going to be cheap is it. All the gear on there is top of the line, and if Moto Corse can charge $55,000 for
http://item.rakuten.co.jp/motocorse/10000917/
which is a an 'old' F4, im pretty sure they could stick a price tag of 40k+ on a newer version............

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
With all respect mate, how do you know the motor was cold ?
While on that subject, how do You warm a motor up, stand and idle, or rev it for long periods in neutral with no load on? I am really curious about this in all honesty, fouling plugs in this day and age, on a race bike with decent fuel and plugs in?

Ok BTW, that bike, as the question was, worth at least $50 000, as far as money spent - but you would not sell it for over $25000
I think.[/quote

I believe that's what I said. You never get back what you put into a bike or vehicle when it's customized. Spend a bunch on extra parts and sell it for maybe half of what they cost. I do like that exhaust. What brand is it?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE]

i believe the best way is to let it idle up to temperature, no revving, just at tickover.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I always thought it was best to let the engine warm up under a moderate load, that is riding. But it appears most of the motorcycling fraternity thinks different, not to speak of WSBK and MotoGP mechanics.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
In yen, the bike is at least 5million. I've not actually gone through the list but I've seen it a couple of times. If it is totally loaded (racing forks, etc.) then it will be towards 7-8 million.

These days in USD, that's approaching 6 figures.

I'm heading over there tomorrow, will ask.

·
Registered
819 Posts
If you crank a motor only to rev it a few times it dumps fuel for the higher rpms then never has any load or idle time to burn out that excess fuel. Even just idle time after revving doesn't take care of burning all the extra hydrocarbons off. Leads to fouling and carbon buildup. Its not a good idea to crank up a motor only to shut it of again rather soon. If you crank it at least let it come up to operating temp before shutting it off.
For obvious reasons you don't want to rev a motor right after start up simply because you have oil that's not warmed up or circulated through the motor yet. Not only that but why strain any bearings with low to no oil in the journals when its not necessary....revving does just that. On most modern bikes one can crank up a motor and ride out soon after, but its still not prudent to crank up and ride out like you have somewhere to be 15 minutes ago. Especially a dead cold motor, and even more so in chilly/cold weather. You at a bare minimum should wait until a temp. registers on the cluster(usually around 100 degrees) before thinking of putting it into gear and letting out the clutch.
It just makes me cringe when i see someone do what was shown in the video. Granted its not as bad as someone cranking up and immediately going to redline. None the less, i wonder about how the rest of the bike is taken care of, or how much damage has been done to the motor even as inadvertent as it may be. One of my fav. ones is when someone pulls up to park then revs a few good times only to shut the bike off immediately there after.

Its a good looking bike and a seller can ask whatever they want for their wares. Just speaking from a position of someone who has much more money into bikes and can't find a buyer even at a lower price point. Someone can pontificate whatever they think it may be worth, but until they put their own money down its all smoke out the rear end....no matter who puts their name on it.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
If you crank a motor only to rev it a few times it dumps fuel for the higher rpms then never has any load or idle time to burn out that excess fuel. Even just idle time after revving doesn't take care of burning all the extra hydrocarbons off. Leads to fouling and carbon buildup. Its not a good idea to crank up a motor only to shut it of again rather soon. If you crank it at least let it come up to operating temp before shutting it off.
For obvious reasons you don't want to rev a motor right after start up simply because you have oil that's not warmed up or circulated through the motor yet. Not only that but why strain any bearings with low to no oil in the journals when its not necessary....revving does just that. On most modern bikes one can crank up a motor and ride out soon after, but its still not prudent to crank up and ride out like you have somewhere to be 15 minutes ago. Especially a dead cold motor, and even more so in chilly/cold weather. You at a bare minimum should wait until a temp. registers on the cluster(usually around 100 degrees) before thinking of putting it into gear and letting out the clutch.
It just makes me cringe when i see someone do what was shown in the video. Granted its not as bad as someone cranking up and immediately going to redline. None the less, i wonder about how the rest of the bike is taken care of, or how much damage has been done to the motor even as inadvertent as it may be. One of my fav. ones is when someone pulls up to park then revs a few good times only to shut the bike off immediately there after.

Its a good looking bike and a seller can ask whatever they want for their wares. Just speaking from a position of someone who has much more money into bikes and can't find a buyer even at a lower price point. Someone can pontificate whatever they think it may be worth, but until they put their own money down its all smoke out the rear end....no matter who puts their name on it.
At last someone that knows what he's talking about. Thanks Varium.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
It just makes me cringe when i see someone do what was shown in the video. Granted its not as bad as someone cranking up and immediately going to redline. None the less, i wonder about how the rest of the bike is taken care of, or how much damage has been done to the motor even as inadvertent as it may be.
Agreed, on most point's anyway, I wanted to know how you warm a modern, MV motor up before a ride and before a race.
Totally agree on the start and rev the crap out of it as stupid, agree also on the rev it and shut it down as being silly.
I was taught to never start a bike and let it just idle up to temp, I was taught to rev it little bit's 2000/2500 rpm and let go of the throttle, till, like you said you see a temp showing. Then go ride it till it's nice and warm and then give it stick.

I believe fuel injection has curbed much of the fuel dumped bu carburated bikes - asking, not stating.

When I first started doing Track-work on my MV I asked the guy's who built the racing motors for MV Australia how they warm a bike up as at the track we obviously don't have the luxury of going out for a cruise to warm the bike up.
The response was obvious for many reasons, About 20min before go time you start the bike, NEVER just idle it, not enough oil pressure and too many parts bouncing back and forth against each other. Rev it constant for about 5secs and then in increasingly bigger bursts with bigger gaps in between till you see temp reading. Then give it a few good revs right up near the red line to clear the fuel system etc, let her idle for a while and shut it down.
Reason for this is called "Heat soak", let the temp's now spread through the bike (gearbox etc.) in a slow manner so that when the 5min siren goes, all you have to do is start her up and by the time you are down on the dummy grid going for the warm-up lap you can give her all you need.
Cheers guys

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Donsys right, I used to watch the Honda team up at Symmons Plains north Tassie rev and then let go of the throttle just a few years back now they do it a bit differently hold the revs more constant gradually building more like what Donsy says!!!

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Agreed, on most point's anyway, I wanted to know how you warm a modern, MV motor up before a ride and before a race.
Totally agree on the start and rev the crap out of it as stupid, agree also on the rev it and shut it down as being silly.
I was taught to never start a bike and let it just idle up to temp, I was taught to rev it little bit's 2000/2500 rpm and let go of the throttle, till, like you said you see a temp showing. Then go ride it till it's nice and warm and then give it stick.

I believe fuel injection has curbed much of the fuel dumped bu carburated bikes - asking, not stating.

When I first started doing Track-work on my MV I asked the guy's who built the racing motors for MV Australia how they warm a bike up as at the track we obviously don't have the luxury of going out for a cruise to warm the bike up.
The response was obvious for many reasons, About 20min before go time you start the bike, NEVER just idle it, not enough oil pressure and too many parts bouncing back and forth against each other. Rev it constant for about 5secs and then in increasingly bigger bursts with bigger gaps in between till you see temp reading. Then give it a few good revs right up near the red line to clear the fuel system etc, let her idle for a while and shut it down.
Reason for this is called "Heat soak", let the temp's now spread through the bike (gearbox etc.) in a slow manner so that when the 5min siren goes, all you have to do is start her up and by the time you are down on the dummy grid going for the warm-up lap you can give her all you need.
Cheers guys
I've learned something here Donsy; thanks!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I always thought it was best to let the engine warm up under a moderate load, that is riding. But it appears most of the motorcycling fraternity thinks different, not to speak of WSBK and MotoGP mechanics.
I believe that too. The other ways mays be even better but will put some strain on the relationship with your neighbours...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts