MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Italian wine fans out there?

DOCG and terroir and varietals and favorites and travels around the country?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Only just getting into it (literally only just - bought a bottle of 2016 Haurio chanti colli sensi to try this weekend. Trying the Tuscany ones first as in the process of buying a house there (hope to pick up keys in a few months).

Went house hunting there last year and I asked the restaurant for a bottle of their local wine - it came out in a bottle that had obviously been used many times, no label and a cork in similar disposition to the bottle. I asked how local it was and the owner just pointed to the hills behind us and asked if that was local enough....for 5 euros a bottle it was rather good (in my limited palete taste anyway).

·
Registered
128 Posts
oh dear... here we go down a long deep black hole that rivals the mv long deep black hole :)
literally just as obsessed with italian wines as i am with my f3. my personal palette sways towards natural wines, that for the most part transcend the dogc classification and all that. and don't ignore the grappa. if you go deep enough, it can rival the complexity of the most sophisticated scotches, just as much as it can be as repulsive as a red label johnie walker whisky. been super lucky in that i travel all over italy regularly for my work, and as a result am always hunting for local gems.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Ok, you who travel to Italy, I am going to let you into a little secret about a place that will blow any wine connoisseurs mind.

In very northern Italy on the western shores of Lago Maggiore is this very picturesque town called Cannobio. A town I know well since as I spent a lot of time there in my childhood because my grandparents lived there and now my dad lives there, but that is besides the point.
In Cannobio right along the water, there is Casa Bava. Casa Bava is a wine cellar, not a winery, with multiple tasting rooms for red wine, white wine, grappas, etc. It is built in what used to be boat houses before the level of the lake was controlled and lowered well over 100 years ago. The business has always been in the same family and it was established in 1901!! Yes, almost 120 years ago.It is currently run by Francesco Bava. 100% authentic, wine IS Francesco's life. He knows every bottle in his cellar, of which there are thousands, the story of the wineries, exactly how many of a particular wine and vintage were bottled, all off the top of his head. His knowledge, his kindness & hospitality, and his true appreciation for people who also enjoy wine is unsurpassed. Add to this the absolutely stunning location, decor, smell, and visual feast that his wine cellar is, Casa Bava is a bucket list item for any wine enthusiast.
My good friend is a HUGE wine connoisseur and he fell in love with the place. During our annual trips to Italy, we always stop by Casa Bave and have Francesco ship a few cases of the most delicious wines and grappas back to the US.

What makes it even better, just a 2 minute walk from Casa Bava right on the main Piazza on the lake is Cafe Verbano, which serves the best Lasagna I have ever ate anywhere in the world.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok, you who travel to Italy, I am going to let you into a little secret about a place that will blow any wine connoisseurs mind.

In very northern Italy on the western shores of Lago Maggiore is this very picturesque town called Cannobio. A town I know well since as I spent a lot of time there in my childhood because my grandparents lived there and now my dad lives there, but that is besides the point.
In Cannobio right along the water, there is Casa Bava. Casa Bava is a wine cellar, not a winery, with multiple tasting rooms for red wine, white wine, grappas, etc. It is built in what used to be boat houses before the level of the lake was controlled and lowered well over 100 years ago. The business has always been in the same family and it was established in 1901!! Yes, almost 120 years ago.It is currently run by Francesco Bava. 100% authentic, wine IS Francesco's life. He knows every bottle in his cellar, of which there are thousands, the story of the wineries, exactly how many of a particular wine and vintage were bottled, all off the top of his head. His knowledge, his kindness & hospitality, and his true appreciation for people who also enjoy wine is unsurpassed. Add to this the absolutely stunning location, decor, smell, and visual feast that his wine cellar is, Casa Bava is a bucket list item for any wine enthusiast.
My good friend is a HUGE wine connoisseur and he fell in love with the place. During our annual trips to Italy, we always stop by Casa Bave and have Francesco ship a few cases of the most delicious wines and grappas back to the US.

What makes it even better, just a 2 minute walk from Casa Bava right on the main Piazza on the lake is Cafe Verbano, which serves the best Lasagna I have ever ate anywhere in the world.
I'm not even a wine fan and I want to go here.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Will be tomorrow in alto adige for skiing. That is the most northern part of Italy. They do great wines there.
My favourite white wine is this one from Venezia:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Not well read but curious. More of a Spanish wine fan (tempernillo's and mencia's) but I'd like to hear of some good red options.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
YES... more later to share... some favorites available in Houston, TX, some favorites tasted on last year's trip to Tuscany and Venice. Bella!

·
Registered
128 Posts

Wow. This is so going in my notes! Isn't that RIGHT by the MV factory?? I am doing a contract quite nearby in Lugano (Italian Switzerland) this fall, so I will most DEF go check this place out. Thanks for the tip. I'll report back :)

·
Registered
128 Posts

Had the last of these last night from my (tiny) cellar. 2014 Sicilian unfiltered Pithos Bianco. Along with this, my current favourite white, an Ischian raw white, Bajola, made by a family whom I met. Super funky and absolutely amazing stuff. Really delicious artisanal complex wines.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Grappa interests me, tried several while in Venice and was very impressed. Fairly difficult to find variety here in Houston, TX USA... thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
And then hit this ridiculously delicious Piedmont (Barolo) Grappa. And now Im procrastinating at work with a mild headache :)
View attachment 475664
I agree on your choice of Grappa. Love that Grappa but bottled at cask strength ( usually 56%+) it plays havoc in the morning if you enjoy too much in one sitting. Marolo is close to where I used to have a house in Piedmont. The wines in that region are very good although some of the Barolo and Barbaresco can be very expensive. Very nice region and unspoilt by tourism. The people are as passionate about their food as they are for wine. Alba, La Morra and Barolo are just a few places close to each other that are worth a visit for wine and food and great roads if your are with 2 wheels.
Sensibly priced wine of the region is a Barbera which is is a very good wine, just don't be tempted for the cheapest you can find.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Sibona Grappa Di Barolo ... I can't find enough of it.
(well there was a family made grappa off the shores of Como in a delicatessen that blew my mind too !)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Summer over here!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I've eyed those bottles so many times but never tasted! Will do next time I see one.
Absolutely delightful...definitely find and 8y/o ...the 5 also great

1 - 20 of 20 Posts