MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 300 miles on my 2013 F4 and the paint on the tank is scuffing like crazy. I know that it won't be perfect but none of my other bikes have been close to this bad. The sides of my tank look like the bike has 20,000 miles on it already. Anyone else notice the paint on there F4 scuffs easily?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have 300 miles on my 2013 F4 and the paint on the tank is scuffing like crazy. I know that it won't be perfect but none of my other bikes have been close to this bad. The sides of my tank look like the bike has 20,000 miles on it already. Anyone else notice the paint on there F4 scuffs easily?

Mine is 2012 and didn't noticed anything wrong. Let's see if anyone else jumps in. Pictures of it would help.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have a prophylactic on mine on all rub areas. No wear here.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
No scuffing on mine either. Pics maybe? What are you wearing? (Jake...from State Farm.) Anything rough that rubs up against the paint will scuff it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try to grab some pictures later today. I'm just wearing jeans, same as I've worn on all my other bikes.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Not a fix to your problem but will stop it getting worse and may cover up a bit, try some 3M type film paint protection.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I assume you mean swirl-like micro-scratches? i noticed very fine swirls on the top of my tank while wiping it down with a brand spanking new microfiber.. i was kind of bummed.. but a very, very light wax outta take care of it.. generally speaking, and especially on dark colors, if you do wax it dont rub in a circular direction, do it back and forth to reduce the impact of swirling..

·
Super Moderator
22,329 Posts
Christian, if I may...scratches, micro, or otherwise, come from an abrasive introduced. That could be the grade of cotton in jeans, nylon from threads use to whip-stich edges, or contaminants picked up from riding.

Virtually ALL folks who work with paint for a living use a DA (dual-action) machine to polish paint. The DA mimics the hand's swirling action to produce a mirror-like shine when the appropriate products are used for speed and pressure and paint.

Suggesting that a back-and-forth action will prevent micro-scratches is counterproductive. If you are getting scratches, you are using a sub-par material for polishing, or you've introduced contaminants...period.

It is entirely possible that the OP got a paint finish that had insufficient hardener in the clear coat. It would be unusual, but possible. In that case, the clear would not be as resistant to scratches.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Christian, if I may...scratches, micro, or otherwise, come from an abrasive introduced. That could be the grade of cotton in jeans, nylon from threads use to whip-stich edges, or contaminants picked up from riding.

Virtually ALL folks who work with paint for a living use a DA (dual-action) machine to polish paint. The DA mimics the hand's swirling action to produce a mirror-like shine when the appropriate products are used for speed and pressure and paint.

Suggesting that a back-and-forth action will prevent micro-scratches is counterproductive. If you are getting scratches, you are using a sub-par material for polishing, or you've introduced contaminants...period.

It is entirely possible that the OP got a paint finish that had insufficient hardener in the clear coat. It would be unusual, but possible. In that case, the clear would not be as resistant to scratches.
What he said. Plus some waxes have abrasives in them to "clean" the paint. You should always use polish...not wax, and definitely not wax with "cleaners". If you do use a wax, I would recommend Zymol. It's very expensive, $50 for a small jar, but IMO is by far the best wax out there. After a few applications your paint will look like glass. Oh, and the weird thing, besides that it smells like coconut, you don't let it dry and they recommend you use back and forth motions to apply and remove it. But that's the only one I have ever used that wants it done that way.

·
Registered
320 Posts
After just 300 miles I noticed scuffs appearing on the tank sides, though I have/had? put this down to new Alpinestars textiles.

A bit of light scratch remover & polished up great again, but made me think I should maybe get some kind of clear vinyl? wrap in certain areas?????

·
Registered
661 Posts
Red shows swirls and fine scratches easily, White does not. If you have a red one expect this and its nothing that you can really control because the clearcoat gets fine scratches in a color that is contrasting with the red basecoat. White, well you know the scratches are also whitish so its easily hidden. Use a protective film if you are concerned. I do. They sell the laser cut kits on ebay. the front piece is the most difficult to put on because of all the curves (I left that piece unused after messing up the first kit). I may take it to a shop to be done someday.

·
Registered
272 Posts

I guess i stand corrected.. the tiny swirls i saw on my top surface of my tank I thought had come from the microfiber I used to wipe it clean.. but i guess I probably just wiped debris off, and perhaps it was the contaminants that rubbed to tiny swirls in it.. I always waxed my black cars with back and forth motion and never had issues with swirls. Guess that technique I was told was an old wives tale, lol.

on my bikes ive always used spray polish and never noticed swirls.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
I guess i stand corrected.. the tiny swirls i saw on my top surface of my tank I thought had come from the microfiber I used to wipe it clean.. but i guess I probably just wiped debris off, and perhaps it was the contaminants that rubbed to tiny swirls in it.. I always waxed my black cars with back and forth motion and never had issues with swirls. Guess that technique I was told was an old wives tale, lol.

on my bikes ive always used spray polish and never noticed swirls.
Use that spray polish whenever and always when you wipe anything off the paint. You need lubrication to prevent the contaminants from scratching. Easy on the pressure too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts