MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting my bike back together after radiator repair and noticed that the plastic between the upper and lower radiator is worn down. Only doing track days with some heavy breaking and it appears the front tire is contacting this. Has anyone else had this happen? I did get new tires but they are the same size as OEM (although I know they can differ some). Running Dunlop Q3s.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
How's your forks set up? Low pre-load, high tyre profile and forks lifted in triple clamps can all attribute to this happening.
Best get a radiator guard onto that radiator or you will have more repairs coming your way.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Donsy, Had my suspension adjusted at the track several months ago, suspect he lowered my preload. Forks are set in triple clamps as from factory. Do you think I can correct this by just adjusting my preload?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could be enough to sort it out Rich, but remember that if you increase preload, it will raise your ride height and therefore change your handling.
Thanks, you have always been very helpful and are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14,419 Posts
Rich;

if the forks are at the stock height....

and you're bottoming them.....hitting the radiator plastic (put a Zip tie on the tube, and go out and use the brakes HARD)

then check your sag numbers

if they are correct....

you don't have enough compression damping or the oil is too thin

post the settings of your forks and riding weight

are you happy with the front? ......push the tubes down and raise the rear

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Rich;

if the forks are at the stock height....

and you're bottoming them.....hitting the radiator plastic (put a Zip tie on the tube, and go out and use the brakes HARD)

then check your sag numbers

if they are correct....

you don't have enough compression damping or the oil is too thin

post the settings of your forks and riding weight

are you happy with the front? ......push the tubes down and raise the rear
What do recommend for settings. Did a quick check sitting on the bike yesterday - 76 mm, lifting the front was 111 mm.

What should the travel be from no load to full break, or rider weight to full brake? From what I have read lifting up on front to rider weight should be around 32-37 mm of travel. Not sure what the difference should be to full break.

Weight 190, I'll have to check during breaking as you noted.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So at the track this weekend and I put some zip ties on the forks. They are bottoming out even after I maxed out the preload to test it. Does this mean my fork springs are no longer serviceable. From what I understand the fluid is only for damping and or does it also affect maximum fork travel. I may have had a small leak. Not sure exactly what is failing other than change in fluid level.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts