MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any estimates on whether the 1090 will support a 90 watt heated jacket?

I'd rather not find out the hard way or mess around with adding a volt meter to the bike.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I run Gerbings jacket liner and gloves. Got the socks but don`t bother. Never had a problem on either bike B750 or B1078RR. I do run everything to a switchable fuse block so if the bike is not running than the gear is automatically off.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You'd be cheaper putting a couple of newspapers down the front of your jacket :smoking:
...or riding one of the other bikes

I run Gerbings jacket liner and gloves. Got the socks but don`t bother. Never had a problem on either bike B750 or B1078RR. I do run everything to a switchable fuse block so if the bike is not running than the gear is automatically off.
Thanks cdamb!

I have a warm & safe jacket with one of their heattrollers and an adapter that goes from the charging plug to the controller - just fused through the charging jack. I use that setup on the Bonneville and just have a heated jacket plug directly wired to the Tiger.

I haven't taken the Brute out in a while on account of the cold and my laziness to either measure voltage or just ask here.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Just remember just because you are all warm and toasty that your tires are not.:freezing:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Heated clothing

MV Agusta rates the 1090RR alternator at 350 watts at 5K RPM.

I'm currently running a set of heated grips rated at 40 watts and a Gerbings heated vest rated at 48 watts, on my 1090RR, and I run the same two items on a BMW R90/6 boxer producing only 280 watts. That is a total of 88 watts, about the same as your jacket. I've never run either bike out of electrical power.

The Brutale has several things in its favor, besides the larger alternator. Where the BMW has incandescent bulbs in the turn indicators and brake lights, the Brutale uses LEDs and draw far less energy than the boxer's lights. More juice to spare. My sense on running my Brutale is I am never short on amps in the charging circuit.

I have no qualms in recommending you use the heated jacket, assuming you will not be doing a lot of stopping and starting, like a big city messenger rider. The starter motor is the single largest consumer of energy on the bike.

Adding a digital volt meter is child's play and for a bike used for any touring, certainly a highly recommended item. There are several vendors making thumbnail sized LED volt meters for about $50 US dollars. They are simple to hook up and even simpler to hide.

If one is serious about riding with heated clothing, I highly recommend a Heat-Troller brand thermostat. I've used these for over 15 years and never had a complaint. Unlike resistance based thermostats, the Heat-Troller cycles on and off using a rheostat to set the time intervals. The result is no energy is used during the off cycles and to the rider, you sense an even and unwavering pleasant warmth.

Usual disclaimer. No business interest with any firm mentioned, just a very satisfied consumer,
Dick

crappy wet Seattle area. "The coldest winter I ever spent was a July in Seattle"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts