MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so most of the time I have the time displayed on my 06' Brutale, so I never really look at the milage. I just turned it over and I'm already up to 15,500 miles! :brutale:

That made me wonder, how long can an MV's engine really last?? I mean, these things don't seem like their going to be as reliable as a BMW engine, but now I'm not so sure, because mine still runs perfectly ..... Has anybody on the forums gotten up any higher than 15k in their milage?? Had any problems with the engine?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
That made me wonder, how long can an MV's engine really last?? I mean, these things don't seem like their going to be as reliable as a BMW engine, but now I'm not so sure, because mine still runs perfectly ..... Has anybody on the forums gotten up any higher than 15k in their milage?? Had any problems with the engine?
Well they seem to last a while, mine's got over 70000km on it, so far so good. There are reports of an F4 in Germany with >100000km.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
me 85.000km

·
Registered
814 Posts
Seriously, 15000 miles? or 24000 kms? high?!

If you were even considering engine problems at such a low mileage then you should be screaming.

I'm at 37000 km's and I consider that bugger all.

I think too many people here just never ride their MV's (posing only) so the perception is that they won't last past 10000 km's or something.

Sorry, so many people (regardless of make) have this fucked up perception of what "high mileage" is on bikes and it annoys the crap outta me.

So end of story, no need to worry, just get out and ride the tits off her! :f4::brutale:

Rant over, sorry mate :smoking:

·
Registered
828 Posts
High mileage

Totally agree with Kieron 323. I ride bikes for choice and have ever since getting my licence at 16. They are my daily commute and make going to work the best part of the day.

Use my old ute only in torrential rain here in North Queensland. Got 450 000km out of my Sportster. Fair enough it was modified, fucked with, maintained etc., etc.

Ride them, maintain them properly and you'll be surprised how long they last. They're a vehicle like any other. Pretty sure any bike manufacturer doesn't design them to fail early.

Having said that, if you ride like a dickhaed and flog shit out of them and don't maintain them they'll fail like any mechanical thing.

Cheers

Deano :blah:

·
Administrator
20,423 Posts
19,000+ miles so far. Absolutely no problems. I expect the engine to go 100,000 miles without issue, given proper services.

These aren't fragile poorly made machines. Any modern engine with good service should easily do over 100,000 miles...the chassis will require more maintenance.

That said, the roller type timing chain on the MV will need replacing as part of regular service (as called for in the manual). The "silent" type link plate chains used in most other bikes these days have much longer life.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I bought my 2004 last April with 5,500 miles on it and it now has just over 13,000 and I betting it'll have at least 23,000 this time next year. When I hit 100,000 I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
19,000+ miles so far. Absolutely no problems. I expect the engine to go 100,000 miles without issue, given proper services.

These aren't fragile poorly made machines. Any modern engine with good service should easily do over 100,000 miles...the chassis will require more maintenance.

That said, the roller type timing chain on the MV will need replacing as part of regular service (as called for in the manual). The "silent" type link plate chains used in most other bikes these days have much longer life.
By chassis you mean suspension? or what? The actual frame itself?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The link on that post for the 120,000 km Brutale won't come up :banghead:.............But that looks really cool.

Yeah I guess I'm just worried about forgetting to do something major and screwing up the engine......theres no MV dealers where I live

·
Registered
917 Posts
just about to hit 30,000 miles (48k km) on mine. A few small issues such as leaking gaskets and the like, but still running strong.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm up to 19400 (17k of those thanks to yamadogr1!), except for occasionally throwing me off at 30mph, she's in great shape.

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
By chassis you mean suspension? or what? The actual frame itself?
I suspect that Ed's referring to the suspension (often neglected because their decline in performance is relatively slow & subtle but they need loving too :heart::heart:) / bearings (including front wheels bearings, hub bearing swing arm pivot bearings).

Just polish the frame Brother Josh, that's all she needs.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I suspect that Ed's referring to the suspension (often neglected because their decline in performance is relatively slow & subtle but they need loving too :heart::heart:) / bearings (including front wheels bearings, hub bearing swing arm pivot bearings).

Just polish the frame Brother Josh, that's all she needs.
I'll make sure I give it a good polish after work:naughty:

·
Administrator
20,423 Posts
Yeah...by chassis I mean bearings, seals, pivot points....normal wear stuff.

I have a friend (a technician at a dealer) in Ashville NC with 120,000 miles on his GSX-R1000.....never been into the motor except for valve clearance inspection.

There is a fellow in my neighborhood with 250,000+ miles on his DL1000 V-Strom. Only engine failure was the stator burned out at 140,000 miles. This guy is an A&P inspector at Delta Airlines and he prefers to ride everywhere instead of fly. Charter member of the Iron Butt Society. Here's his 200K write-up on the V-Strom forum:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-[-vee]/62650-dl1000-k3-200-000-mile-writeup.html

Both these guys do meticulous maintenance and keep good records.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts