MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Not really, but I did pick up a sweet pair of Shure noise isolation (not cancelling) headphones for riding, and man are they nice!
It's like wearing earplugs, and i run my ipod at a lower volume with these than any other way, and i don't have to adjust the volume for speed, etc, it comes through crystal clear all the time.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I have been wanting to spend $$ on a nice pair of headphones for a while. I've heard the Seinheiser HD580 and I almost bought them.

The ones connected to my Ipod are the Koss Porta Pro based clip on ones, KSC35. Pretty nice for the money.

I keep meaning to make a vacuum tube headphone amp... I haven't done it yet.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
fazer6 said:
Not really, but I did pick up a sweet pair of Shure noise isolation (not cancelling) headphones for riding, and man are they nice!
It's like wearing earplugs, and i run my ipod at a lower volume with these than any other way, and i don't have to adjust the volume for speed, etc, it comes through crystal clear all the time.

Link? they fit well under the helmet?

I finally broke down and paid for custom ear molds with built in speakers I could wear on the bike. Fucking dog ate them a few weeks after I got them. ARGH!

I've been using the basic $50 Sonys ever since. They're not bad but I lose one of the little rubber ear pieces every now and then and I have to buy another set... :jerkoff:

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
fazer6 said:
but I suspect that listening to music while riding is not as good for your ears as wearing proper ear plugs.
that is what scares me...
i am having the autocom installed on my BMW K1200GT on saturday...
and they've already installed the IN-HELMET speakers...
that way, i can STILL wear my 32db ear plugs and hear the music
YES..... i'll miss the treble portion of that music...
but, i need my hearing...
we ALL do, of course,
but, as a pediatrician, IF i lose the ability to discern subtle heart sounds.... I'M OUT OF BUSINESS

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
spalding12 said:
IN-HELMET speakers...
that way, i can STILL wear my 32db ear plugs and hear the music
I also have shure's but I do the same as you Greg. Helmet speakers with filtered plugs from a friend in Germany. You can hear just enough music but still discern everything around you. I use it mostly for portages from twisty to twisty or long trips but it works well for commutes.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
If I'm understanding correctly, that's what I used to do. I had Chatterbox wafer speakers in my helmet and then listened to them while also wearing ear plugs.

I'm not sure I understand why that is safer. You need the volume louder of course to overcome the ear plugs. Feel free to edumacate me.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
For me having my filtered ear plugs then helmet speakers at and audible volume allows a lot more ambient sound to penetrate than plugged ear phones.

Here you can see that the different coloured filters do their work on different frequencies rather than just muffle everything by a certain dB

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
JamesC said:
I also have shure's but I do the same as you Greg. Helmet speakers with filtered plugs from a friend in Germany. You can hear just enough music but still discern everything around you. I use it mostly for portages from twisty to twisty or long trips but it works well for commutes.
i'm glad to hear that, James... and appreciate your input.

it's all about the hearing to me
but.... i DO love to listen to a nice bit of music when i am performing the "ballet" of twisty riding (all4 twisties we have in Florida :) )

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Gladio said:
If I'm understanding correctly, that's what I used to do. I had Chatterbox wafer speakers in my helmet and then listened to them while also wearing ear plugs.

I'm not sure I understand why that is safer. You need the volume louder of course to overcome the ear plugs. Feel free to edumacate me.
this is exactly how i'll be doing it with my autocom system on the BMW...

not sure about the Brutale
i really don't listen to music on it... because the sound of the bike is MUSIC enough :)

the BMW, on the other hand, is nearly silent (which is great for long rides when i'm trying to UNwind)

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
I'm not quite a headphone audiophile....But I don't mind spending a lot of money on good ones.

My normal use ones are the Bang and Olufson ones (aluminum ones). I don't know the model number. I bought them on an airplane duty free, because I found I left mine at home. They weren't cheap, but were the only ones they had. But I love them. The sound soooo good, especially compared to my other ear-bud type ones.

In addition to those, I used the Sony ones that plug into your ear. They are good....

...but recently i got the Etymotic Research i6 or something like that. They are OK for the bike, not great. They don't block out enough noise, or seem to come loose a little when I put the helmet on.

something like this:

:conveyer:

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ahh...I wasn't talking for the bike, but in general...but if I did get ones for the bike, I would get IEM (in Ear Monitors) as they usually reduce exterior noice by 15-25dB...which is like an earplug...

I'm in the market for buying a portable set-up. I currently have KSC75's (same thing as KSC35's...but newer and Ti...). Without a doubt, the best sound for the dollar. They sound better than headphone 5-10 times thier price....they lack detail, but they are a great buy, especially with the Kramer mod.

Anyhow, I've been looking at a couple headphones:

Beyer Dynamics DT990
Beyer Dynamics DT770
AKG 701

I'm also looking to get an amp...probably a Pimeta, maybe build one...I dunno. I need to research more which is better for my music listening habits, a Pimeta, CMoy, or Tube...

I dunno...it'll end up looking something like this:

lol...small player, with teh amp and phones 10x the size...if it comes down to sound quality...I'll walk around with a pack of stuff rather than half ass sound in my pocket....like this guys rig:

Haha...that's awesome...meh, I want my set-up COMPLETE by Christmas...my Fiance is gonna kick my ass for having $300 headphones and a $200 headphone amp :ahhh:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I hope all this stuff is not for screwing around with portable devices... You're talking audiophile quality home system components right? Using the line out into some nice headphone amp?

Ever consider electrostatics? They are double what your high end budget is, but there's really no replacement for them... And they normally come with their own cool amp.

I used to get magazines about doing home audio projects and there was usually a vacuum tube kit in it, from preamps, phono amps, headphone amps to power amps. I've only ever built guitar amps because being precise about stuff doesn't really matter as much, which is something I prefer (I'm building an instrument, not something that's supposed to be "accurate"). But I've been wanting to do a hi-fi project.

Moral of the story is, even buying really high end components, you can build a nice vacuum tube amp for probably $400 or $500 or so. Or if you scrimp, even less. There's not a hell of a lot to them. I haven't looked at solid state headphone amps, but it seems like $200 is pissing in the wind more than anything... You might need to spend more than that to get a good one? I'd listen closely to the difference between that amp and the built in headphone output on some nice higher end piece of equipment (given that it can drive the headphones you are using) and make sure you're getting your money's worth.

(I have been out of the audiophile game for a while now, all I do is listen to an ipod these days. So I could be totally wrong here.)

Fun sites:

www.angela.com
www.tubesandmore.com
www.vacuumtube.com

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
acruhl said:
I hope all this stuff is not for screwing around with portable devices... You're talking audiophile quality home system components right? Using the line out into some nice headphone amp?

Ever consider electrostatics? They are double what your high end budget is, but there's really no replacement for them... And they normally come with their own cool amp.

I used to get magazines about doing home audio projects and there was usually a vacuum tube kit in it, from preamps, phono amps, headphone amps to power amps. I've only ever built guitar amps because being precise about stuff doesn't really matter as much, which is something I prefer (I'm building an instrument, not something that's supposed to be "accurate"). But I've been wanting to do a hi-fi project.

Moral of the story is, even buying really high end components, you can build a nice vacuum tube amp for probably $400 or $500 or so. Or if you scrimp, even less. There's not a hell of a lot to them. I haven't looked at solid state headphone amps, but it seems like $200 is pissing in the wind more than anything... You might need to spend more than that to get a good one? I'd listen closely to the difference between that amp and the built in headphone output on some nice higher end piece of equipment (given that it can drive the headphones you are using) and make sure you're getting your money's worth.

(I have been out of the audiophile game for a while now, all I do is listen to an ipod these days. So I could be totally wrong here.)

Fun sites:

www.angela.com
www.tubesandmore.com
www.vacuumtube.com
Yeah...I'm talking portable rig. I would go electro static, but that's WAAAAYYYY overkill for portable music. There's a difference between pocketable and portable...I'll lug around a little more for awesome SQ...

I'm using the headphones for listening to music while walking around, etc. Those choices above, by most normal peoples budgets/purposes, are overkill as it is, as you need an amp to drive any of those.
So, for a portable amp, $200 is dece enough. Obviously, there are some better choices, but for recreational listening/entry into the high-end hi fi, it works out. Kinda like the Brutale 750...it's HIGH END, but entry level high end....

Gotta head out to work...but more on that....I'm surprised, I'm no "audiophile" but I am heavy into sound, working my way into the headphone market...surprised there are others here who share both my music and motorcycling passion!!!!

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
oicdn said:
surprised there are others here who share both my music and motorcycling passion!!!!
you shouldn't be surprised about that

when folks are willing to spend the kind of money we do for bikes... you have to know that they wouldn't settle for second-class audio either

nate, i DO hope that while you search for better SQ in the headphone/amp market that you protect your hearing

it's great to be HEAVY into music.... but, don't think that having better quality music at higher volumes is something after which you ought to search.... because, that will lead to permanently hearing loss... no different than riding without hearing protection.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts