MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anybody had encountered problems with their F3's fuel tank expanding? This has been a problem with Aprilia / Ducati / MV (on the F4s) in the USA and its related to ethanol in our gasoline. I'm wondering if this issue has now been sorted.

·
Administrator
20,060 Posts
If only that were an option. Damn the Renewable Fuels legislation. I hate the EPA.
And the Ethanol Lobby !!!!

I don't believe I saw that sticker on any of the bikes I looked at....and not sure they could do that in the USA, since E10 is mandated fuel.

Pretty sure the various manufacturers have it sorted by now...they are still selling bikes here.
By the way, the plastic tank on my 2008 Brutale has never had a problem.....different plastic materials I presume.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If only that were an option. Damn the Renewable Fuels legislation. I hate the EPA.
It's an option in some areas as we have several pumps here in Idaho that offer ethanol-free premium at just under $4.00/gal. I use that religiously.

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
plastic and ethanol?

Mojo Mike;
pre '10 F4s have steel tanks:yo:
i'm in agreement with Ed on the '08 Brutale, although you have to get all the pump plate bolts started, before you tighten any of them, the tank lines certainly aren't as clean as the F4's steel tank though

'04 Aprilia....stupid Acerbis plastic tank, had to drill the pump plate bolt holes out.....no way they would fit:wtf:
getting the tank back on the bike isn't a walk in the park either:wtf:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this old thread but the tank on my F3 is showing signs of ethanol distortion. I hadn’t seen another until this past weekend when we found the same ripples visible on Roger’s custom yellow F3 tank. On both our bikes these ripples are in the same location. They run from the edge of the roll over on the sides, (the area that sticks out above the side inserts) about an inch or two across the top flat. It almost looks like someone placed their fingers on that area when the tank was soft and it hardened that way.
Anyone else with an F3 notice the same or other problems? If so have you talked to your dealer and what if any was their response?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Silly question but: Don't most cars have plastic fuel tanks (and have for ages?) why don't motorcycle manufacturers make the internal lining out of the same stuff????

·
Administrator
20,060 Posts
Silly question but: Don't most cars have plastic fuel tanks (and have for ages?) why don't motorcycle manufacturers make the internal lining out of the same stuff????
Lots of vehicles have plastic fuel tanks....but most are not visible and a painted cosmetic component, so if they deform or distort it is not a big problem.

The Italians could use a plastic that is not subject to ethanol absorption, but so far seem to not be worrying about the US Ethanol gas mistake.

I personally blame the US government and the well funded ethanol lobby for these problems...we should be suing them (the ethanol lobby) for the damages they are causing to our machines.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
All will have to be replaced in CA as the fuel tank is a emission control device. MV will be forced to replace them, there will be no option and the Ducati case will prove that. As for the rest of the states, not sure.

+1 Ed, on the damn lobby.

·
Administrator
20,060 Posts
The Federal Emissions Warranty is in affect for all of the USA.....the difference in the California law is the specific list of components. The Federal version's list is not so specific....

But fuel tank permeability is covered, and some US manufacturers using plastic tanks in ATVs and PWCs have had to stop production and recall units in the past when their tanks were found to fail the permeability standards.

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
All will have to be replaced in CA as the fuel tank is a emission control device. MV will be forced to replace them, there will be no option and the Ducati case will prove that. As for the rest of the states, not sure.

+1 Ed, on the damn lobby.
+10 so true

1 - 13 of 13 Posts