MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still getting intermittently plagued with the dreaded "STOP ENGINE - gas position error" fault. There's really no rhyme or reason to it either. Lately, it'll happen maybe 4 out of 10 times I first start it up. Removing the connectors, cleaning & putting dielectric grease doesn't seem to help either, and the auto technician in me doesn't see how exactly it would work. I suppose it's a correlation issue between the hand throttle & the throttle position sensor itself that's setting off this code (encounter this in a number of drive-by-wire cars I work on).

Since I have no means of scanning any error codes (and thereby figuring out what's setting the fault) and the nearest dealer being 3 hours away, I'd like to order whatever's needed to fix the problem and just do it my self (I wrench on all my stuff anyways, even if it's under warranty).

I'd really like to take care of it because one time I was making a left in the middle of a busy intersection when the bike lost throttle control and went into limp mode, thank god no oncoming traffic. It's surprising to see with the amount of issues people are having it's not being recalled either.. I guess it'll have to take a few deaths before they deem it recall worthy. Anyone that knows the exact cause of the issue and what the confirmed fix is?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
There is a new part (as of 2014), what year model do you have?

I replaced my 2012 F3 throttle grip with the new throttle and it was an improvement even from a feel point of view as it has a much stiffer return spring than the old grip.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
New throttle is the next step. ECU connectors def worth a try though. Your bike is prob on the old design throttle.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Even the new design throttle will occasionally throw the stop engine gas position error, ask me how I know. It however is much more of a rarity than on the old designs.

I would if the bike is under warranty ask the dealer to replace it as a safety issue, if out of warranty just buy a new one and install, they are not hugely expensive.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Call the dealer.. Tell them your problem.. And have them order the part under warranty and ship it to you. It shouldn't be an issue if it's a known problem. I had to do this once for the gear position sensor since nearest dealer was 3 hours away as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine did it a few times after i gave it a good bath
i have put a heap of dialectric grease in and around the electrical plugs running off the throttle cable
have done a 500 k since ..no problem ..
as stated in other threads its a moisture/ electrical connection issue from the looks of it
Ado

·
Registered
86 Posts
My 2013 F4 had that error code, new throttle didn't fix it, ended up needing a new wiring harness. I only have 200 miles on the new wiring harness but it hasn't failed yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same issue on my crap B3 800 EAS, After the third time they replaced the entire throttle system to the new spec. According to the warranty guides for replacement, the unit giving issues need to be "error code cleared 3 times, and on the fourth time the unit will be replaced.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
My 2013 F4 had that error code, new throttle didn't fix it, ended up needing a new wiring harness. I only have 200 miles on the new wiring harness but it hasn't failed yet.
Keepers, can't mechanics do any fault finding anymore, don't bother answering I'm just thinking out loud.:bawling:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Just had this error this morning. I vaguely remembered that some had success in switching engine of then on again.

After 3 times of doing this I still had an issue. The error was cleared but there was no response from engine when twisting throttle; just remained idle.

Was getting ready to spin her round and limp her home, then I tried one more thing. I switched off ignition, held throttle open, then switched ignition back on, released throttle after it did it's checks, then started the engine.

Now I dunno if it was pure coincidence or my crazy sequence, but it worked after that. I will monitor the bike, until I can stuff her with grease and let you know.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've had it happen several times. Clean every associated connection. Use dielectric grease and if it keeps happening, get a newer gen FBW throttle. Changing the ECU has no effect. I've used both of my racing ECU's and it can happen at anytime with either. Water and corrosion are the enemy.

If you get water inside the throttle potentiometer area the throttle may not work correctly when it is finally clean and dry. I've lived through that nightmare.

BTW been waiting for a new throttle assembly from MV since May still nothing and MV USA and Italy will not respond. My dealer gets no response either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all, I have this same issue on my 2015 Dragster 800. New map, and Ive been told the throttle is the upgrade "heavy duty" one. The bikes booked into my local dealer for the second time tomorrow to try and diagnose it but was wondering if anyone had any solutions besides treating the connectors and replacing the throttle as i have done all of these so far. I saw on another thread it could be the Traction Control setting??

Cheers

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hey all, I'm still having this problem on my 2015 Stradale. I've cleaned and greased the throttle connector and ECU connector, but I'm still getting the error at least once every ride. It seems to happen more frequently when it's warmer weather and only at slow speeds - either under 20mph or when I'm idling in traffic (which is really inconvenient when you're at the front of a busy queue, I can tell you!).

Bike should be on the newer throttle, so I'm not really sure where I go next, other than going to my dealer and getting them to try and fix it, but I'm worried this is going to become a costly venture. Basically, with the error coming on every ride the bike is becoming frustrating to ride, borderline unusable (not to mention embarrassing) when commuting in heavy traffic.

TIA!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Same here. I've had my 2016 Brutale RR for just a week and it's happened 10+ times. I changed the battery, cleaned and packed the throttle connector and the 2 ECU connectors with dielectric grease. I guess I'm stuck waiting until August 10 when I drop the bike off for service. Some times it starts up and runs without an issue while other times it either goes into gas position error while idling or starts up with the error. Frustrating, but I have high hopes that it'll be sorted out when it leaves the dealer.

The title of this thread is "Any CONFIRMED fixes?" Are there? Or is it a lingering issue that I'll have to deal with at some degree, forever?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi

There have been a number of threads on this issue and people have resolved the issue in a number of ways.

I once found the issue to be in the plug and socket for the right-hand map/starter switch block. This plug is close to the plug for the FBW throttle which is on the right side of the steering head (on an F4). A flush with CRC and time to dry/drain fixed it whereas cleaning the FBW harness plug didn't make any difference.

Damage to the harness to the throttle is also a possibility, it can slip down and jam in the steering if not correctly restrained. There is a balance between keeping the harness secure out of harms way and allowing it to flex with movement of the bars. There has also been an example of a damaged wire in the harness upstream of the plugs.

The original FBW throttle had part number 8000B5444, the latest part number is 8E00B5444. It picked up a heavier spring along the way and presumably other improvements.

Tony

1 - 19 of 19 Posts