MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a generally fit guy but I have been in a habit of grabbing the Guzzi keys instead of the MV keys for the mountain rides because the long rides are murder on my body.

My wrists do fine, Im pretty good about keeping weight off of them. My lower back does ok, I have been working on that.

Its my legs (specifically hips). The high pegs, the bent over position. I find myself often with horrific cramps after a few hours on the MV. Its been so bad that when stretching on the highway home from a ride I literally cant raise my leg enough to get my foot back on the peg for minutes...

·
Super Moderator
24,102 Posts
You need more quinine in your diet. I recommend Gin and Tonic...or Vodka Tonic if you prefer!:smoking:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Might sound crazy but yoga or any stretching classes are highly reccomended and i know alot of guys who race that actually do it. You become more flexible and your muscles become less fatigued. Also could help with some hydrating drink to stop cramps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Try this YouTube beginning yoga thing. It's very simple and the girl is cute but not so you'll be distracted. I found it helpful.

I also watched Rossi do some stretches in full leathers right before he got on his bike. Like a baseball catcher stance but hands on the ground in front and bowing his head like in prayer. (Not a bad idea either) This helps your leather get used to moving with you as well.

I used to get the cramps you're talking about, but not since I started doing this.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Screw that. I'll watch the naked one done by the Playboy model. ;-)

Thanks. I'll try a bit of beginner yoga. I do a lot of runners stretches but running and cycling doesn't seem to hit me like being folded up on the MV.

Although what I really need to do is shift Jennifers scooter so I have a trailer to just haul it there and back.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I have the same problem. After an hour or so folded up on the MV, my right hip feels like it's going to explode. I usually try to just push through the pain, but it becomes quite excruciating after a while. Try butterfly stretches, they usually help me. Sit on your butt, put the bottoms of your feet together, and push your knees down using your leg muscles. Or try a hip stretch. Sit upright on your butt with both legs extended, cross one leg over the other, bottom of your foot on the ground near your knee. Then twist your abdomen the opposite direction using your elbow to assist the stretch. (Left leg out, right leg over, left elbow contacting right knee.) and vice versa. Also pops your back as a bonus.

Also, the more you ride the Guzzi, the more you will hurt on the MV. Your body gets used to the riding position of each bike.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Magnesium can help with muscle cramps, so can making sure you are well hydrated (with water, not beer)

Another tip is keeping your level of fitness (and flexibility) up - I remember reading one study of endurance athletes that indicated fitness can act like a buffer for cramps i.e. when you are working closer to your fitness thresholds you are more likely to cramp.

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
So I am a generally fit guy but I have been in a habit of grabbing the Guzzi keys instead of the MV keys for the mountain rides because the long rides are murder on my body.

My wrists do fine, Im pretty good about keeping weight off of them. My lower back does ok, I have been working on that.

Its my legs (specifically hips). The high pegs, the bent over position. I find myself often with horrific cramps after a few hours on the MV. Its been so bad that when stretching on the highway home from a ride I literally cant raise my leg enough to get my foot back on the peg for minutes...

I don't race but I have watched the guys race and they don't just sit there in one position , they are constantly on the move. This helps enormously.
Also a race isn't like a 5 hour stint in the saddle either..massively strenuous but different too.

We ask alot of the body when we don the gear and then do quite a leg stretch really to climb on. All athletes warm up prior to large range movements like that.

When I was out touring last week, I'd lift the right leg on to the saddle and then purposely stretch it a bit further before climbing on. This increases the flexibility quite a bit.

Other than that I could enrol for ballet lessons an get working on that bar thingy,,,

joe

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ryan here is Your answer.
http://www.bmw-motorrad.de/_common/pdf/fit2ride/fit2ride_katalog.pdf
I do not know if they have this in english as well.
But I guess You get the idea.
Thanks. My german is good enough to figure it out. I should have expected them to have that though. My first BMWs (car) owner manual actually came with an exercise routine for long road trips. Leave it up to the Germans...
I don't race but I have watched the guys race and they don't just sit there in one position , they are constantly on the move. This helps enormously.
Also a race isn't like a 5 hour stint in the saddle either..massively strenuous but different too.
Yeah. Like said fit and I do try to stretch and warm up so I usually do quite well. Honestly, I never feel it on the mountains. Dont know if its the adrenaline or the position (I tend to hover over the seat more than sit in it). Its the ride back that kills me, usually my right hip just seizes up. Everything else (core, back, arms, etc) could probably do another 100 miles.

Ill try the Yoga and fitness routine and see if that gets me anywhere. If anyone wants to help buy this Honda scooter off of my girlfriend. Then I can fit a trailer and make that ride back moot.

Dont think a Brutale would help much either. Saddled them up and the pegs were still high. Probably helps the back and wrists more but those dont bother me. Damn these long legs!
:f4:

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Ryan, how long have you had these issues on the F4? Does it correlate to a reduction in your sexual activity recently? I think there's one type of physical activity that will solve your issue. Any F4 rider would know what that is. :stickpoke

·
Registered
17,191 Posts
Ryan, how long have you had these issues on the F4? Does it correlate to a reduction in your sexual activity recently? I think there's one type of physical activity that will solve your issue. Any F4 rider would know what that is. :stickpoke
Kevin.....Ryan is not complaining about the strength, dexterity, or flexibility in his right hand. Apparently he's getting plenty of exercise with it.

:jerkoff:

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Kevin.....Ryan is not complaining about the strength, dexterity, or flexibility in his right hand. Apparently he's getting plenty of exercise with it.

:jerkoff:
Randy, I was not referring to Brutie sexual activity. :stickpoke

·
Registered
17,191 Posts
Randy, I was not referring to Brutie sexual activity. :stickpoke
As expected......Brutie riders engage in such activities with member of the opposite sex......:naughty:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
If you brutie riders could ride an F4 ( cause its too aggressive) im sure you would be complaining about a lot more than just a tight hip. Thats why you guys ride a brutie its like sitting in your favourite tv armchair. Lol

·
Registered
17,191 Posts
If you brutie riders could ride an F4 ( cause its too aggressive) im sure you would be complaining about a lot more than just a tight hip. Thats why you guys ride a brutie its like sitting in your favourite tv armchair. Lol
Wissam, my friend......I've told you before.....we ride Bruties in large part because chicks dig Brutie riders. :naughty:

·
Registered
17,191 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts