MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to get a pack of smokes today. Decided to jump on a h.way for 2 min to air out. Sitting in right lane, minding my own business at 60mph in a 50 mph zone, behind a couple of cars. Guy in front of me slams on the breaks and tries to make a very late turn. At the same time, a guy on a truck pulls out onto highway and almost hits me, and proceeds to squeeze me. So I jump into left lane, punch it to get away from the ahole. Was in left late no more then 5 sec, drop the speed back to 60 and back into right lane. A state cop runs out onto highway and flags me down. happend not even 1/4 mile away from him in a clear view. "Why were you going so fast?" - "that guy almost took me out and then tried to squeeze me, and I didn't feel like being a road kill. I sped up for 5 sec to get away from him and back into right lane and normal speed"
Cop: "I didn't see anything" Me:"officer, I'm not denying the speeding, im just explainging what happend. There were witnesses. The truck just drove by" Cop: "Don't care, i caught you!!!" - 101 in 50 zone - $510 and who knows how many points.
Ignorant asshole. I even told him I don't speed, haven't had a ticket in over 15 years.
Comes back from the cruiser, gives me the ticket and starts yelling at me that dumb asses like me that kill people. Got me so wound up that i openly told him to "Go check my driving record you fucking asshole, and Fuck You"
Wow. some people are just born assholes.

Anyways, I'm done. Feeling a bit better I guess. Lets see what the judge says. I'm probably screwed.

Summary: 4 min ride, 1 pack of smokes, $510 dollar bill

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm with you guys on quitting smoking. I have to. But this situation didn't help :)
Carl, this happened on Rt1 north in Danvers 2 man crew. Driver poped the lights on while 2nd ran right out into 2 lane. How they didnt see that truck, bits me. And to be honest with you, I'm not looking for trouble. I neither have the skill nor the will to outrun a statie or his radio. I also refuse to lie, so I admitted to speeding (wasn't sure how fast so I said "probable 85". What really pisses me of is some roid juiced dick is yelling at me for no reason when I was polite and honest and with a clean record. Shit happens, not to worried about these little things. I guess crashing in October '10, breaking left wrist, tearing left clavicle clean off, loosing a finger, having 3 surgeries, spending 1 1/2 rehabbing put things in perspective.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
I believe I'm investing in the best lawyer around in the defense of this kind of problem. A 100mph ticket will likely result in cancellation of your insurance, or at least a huge policy increase.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes Randy, that's what I'm afraid off. That pack of smokes is gonna end up costing me a couple of grand. I'm hoping I can persuade the judge to at least lower it a bit given the circumstances.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Yes Randy, that's what I'm afraid off. That pack of smokes is gonna end up costing me a couple of grand. I'm hoping I can persuade the judge to at least lower it a bit given the circumstances.

I don't go before the judge if I can help it. I have my attorney plea this out. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. This could really hurt. Get some professional advice.

The typical DUI (not the same, I know...) can cost over $10,000 in fines, license suspension, and numerous years of punitive insurance premiums. Plus 100mph can result in license suspension in Georgia.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the advise. I WILL listen to the wise. Anything else you could recommend/suggest/advise?
Not sure why, but on the ticket it states Lidar (?) and Estimated. 1 mile over the twice the speed limit.
You are starting to scare me. Am I loosing my license?

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
You are starting to scare me. Am I loosing my license?
I'm not trying to scare you.....not at all, but I don't want to get caught off guard.

I certainly am not any kind of legal expert, but as a rule, I always want to take a gun to a knife fight. Don't get caught off guard. Research the best legal advice, and listen to him/her. Spend a couple of hundred and get good advice.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Not sure why, but on the ticket it states Lidar (?) and Estimated. 1 mile over the twice the speed limit.
Lidar stands for Light Detection and Ranging and is a way they measured your speed with...most likely they used a speed gun (looks like a cop is filming stuff) but can also be a stationary system.

Uses the time-of-flight of laser beams to actually measure the speed and thus is fairly accurate when license plates etc. can be used as they are highly retro-reflective. While uneven surfaces or material that does not create a lot reflection will disturb the process and create "uneven" measurements...license plates usually counter this effect so that the reading is fairly reliable...

Depending on what you know your speed truly was and whether or not you were swerving enough while accelerating, the reading may be inaccurate if he hit e.g. your license plate, then some other object (stationary or slower) and then your license plate again.

That's probably why they have to put 'Estimated' next to it...but don't get your hopes up....these things are fairly accurate these days...albeit I cannot speak for the guns but our company builds stationary Lidar units... :eek:

Sorry for your luck man....

·
Registered
871 Posts
Go to court, 9 times out of 10 cop doesn't show. If he isn't there, it's dropped and a distant memory. If he is, just defend it. Draw it out to scale on a board and show that you were avoiding a collision. I always go to court and so far, No tickets. Cause the cops don't show. They assume you will just pay it.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
You're better off putting $1000 into the lawyer than $500 to pay the ticket. If you have a long and clean record, it shouldn't be hard to get it reduced or deferred. Sometimes lawyers can have the ticket changed to a non moving citation; it wont go on record and your insurance wont go up. They did it for me.

Randy said it and I'll repeat it, do your research and find a good traffic/motorcycle lawyer around.

Bad luck and a crap situation... I feel for ya.

·
Super Moderator
21,476 Posts
Go to court, 9 times out of 10 cop doesn't show. If he isn't there, it's dropped and a distant memory. If he is, just defend it. Draw it out to scale on a board and show that you were avoiding a collision. I always go to court and so far, No tickets. Cause the cops don't show. They assume you will just pay it.
"The" cop doesn't have to show here in MA. A representative of the police will. Been there.

Randy is right, Alex...sorry to hear my friend.

·
Super Moderator
21,476 Posts
Right now, a fresh troop of rookie Staties has been released on the State. These roolies are riding with a more experienced officer in order to get there "sea legs". The rookies are, as expected, Gung-Ho!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys. I'll have to go with the moral of the story. Time to stop smoking and get a lawyer. Lawyer is the easy part. And paying a couple of grand for a pack of smokes is a good incentive to give it up.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts