MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have my bike up and running, it idles great!
Innitially when I took it out, it ran and drove great. Now it stalls a LOT. If left at idle, it'll warm up, and when it gets in the high 180's it'll do a very slight "studder", where it seems like it might be a battery or electrical issue, and then abruptly die.
The bike will also die when coming to a stop, at lower RPM's. Will
cruise on the highway without dying.

I have done a lot of reading and I'd love any additional imput. It seems like this is a fairly common issue with this year.

#1- Check TPS- Mine is in the original stock place.. perhaps adjusting this will raise my idle and prevent it from dying?

#2 New Spark plugs

#3 Get a power commander?

#4 Adjust Throttle boddies

I would like to know how how to determine is this is an electrical, spark, or fuel issue that is causing the bike to shut off. Any additional insight or help would be greatly appreciated. I dont know of anyone in my area that could "tune."

Apprecaite any help!
Thanks guys
Dan-

·
Registered
311 Posts
ok my own personal 2 cents. I have a Power Commander with an Arrow thunder exhaust (custom mapped) and it still does this occasionally - not enough to be a concern. I have read that iridium plugs and not adjusting the throttle bodies (but pulling the boots and greasing them) to prevent any leaking will do the trick. I would advise you try these two steps first as they are very cost effective and if it does not fix the problem you are only out about $11 bucks for the plugs.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Check the 4 little vacuum plugs, [2 on each side] protruding out of the frame below the gas tank. On my 07 they were getting dry rotted and was stalling. Replaced and it quit stalling.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ok so i got an 06 910s i recently got, and its doing this same thing. It has 11k miles on it and just started doing it. Its really buggin me and i dont know were to start. Maybe start with changing the plugs? Any advice will help :) thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
When I first got my 06 I had the stall problem also..... While I had the tank off, I did a couple of simple things that seems to have fixed it for 6K miles now.

- cleaned the plastic intake stack little holes.
- took off the SPU (on the right side under the seat) removed one fuse at a time and sprayed well with
WD40 including all the connectors.
- greased the tops of the intake boots before putting the tank back on.
- I also try to trickle charge the night before I ride.

good luck and don't let it get you down! Some have replaced the Service Power Unit (SPU) with very good results.

MikeC

·
Registered
425 Posts
Ditto here...

Currently working closely with Trooper Lu's Garage to cross off all potential issues one by one, as this seems to be a recurring issue across MVs.

·
Site Sponsor
446 Posts
Yeah guys some real little gremlins here. Lots of little things seem to have an impact. Have had a couple recently and resolved alll but one so far (Yeap thats you Mr Wryt!!!) Nothing I can even suggest off the top of my head. Feal trims and setting spark advance on diagnostic tool helps alot of you still have the O2 sensor, if no O2 sensor then set fuel trim with Co meter. Then balance throttle bdies. Make sure the CO is checked in the header, then engine is warm and is between 3.5 and 4.00. This is pretty important. You can then also take the bleed crews out to about 2 turns is nice, then set the trim on diagnostic tool to reach your required co level.

I have had good results with this method. Those bungs on the side - man really importnat and not to be overlooked.

Hops this helps in some way.
j

·
Registered
123 Posts
When I first got my bike (750) it had this issue. Over a few months of messing with unrelated stuff, it stopped for a while. The items I "messed with" were the replacement of the air filter, clean-up of throttle bodies and changed oil. It stopped solidly until recently when I went out for a long ride in the mountains, etc where it started happening again.

It honestly seems like a ecu "bug" to me. I know there has been a ton of discussion here but my gut feeling is some sort of miscalculation of the ECU from specific environmental conditions. Perhaps incorrectly reading air density or timing. I remember when I first got the bike, it liked doing it when the air was hot outside. This last time when it started briefly again, I was at a much higher altitude and it was a particularly warm day.

That being said, I have no real work experience in the field so it's largely unsubstantiated speculation on my part. I hope someone can track this down at some point.

For reference, my issue only happened when I pulled the clutch in, it wasn't clear to me if your problem is exactly the same.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it! Ill try a couple things and let you know soon what the results are :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had the same issues with my bike last week and found it to be a fuel line inside the tank had become loose. Once this happens the fuel pressure drops and the bike stalls.

I had the hoses and clamps inside the tank replaced and a tune up.

It runs like a totally different bike now, it's excellent.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just curious, how much did it cost you? Im assuming you took it in to agusta?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just curious, how much did it cost you? Im assuming you took it in to agusta?

I have only had the bike for a month, so it was covered under the basic warranty. I took it back to the dealer / workshop.

They are not exclusive MV, bit of a mixed bag of exotic bikes.

My bike had failed to start one day after many times stalling the previous days.

This might be a common problem, the mechanic took one look and listen and automatically assumed what the problem was.

I have been for a good long ride today and it is like a whole new bike, never stalled and smooth as babies bum.

Good luck
Mark

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
So far on mine I have replaced the plugs and fuel filter, tidied up the emissions, balanced the throttles and set the tps, cleaned the air filter and everything else I could think of to do in terms of maintenance. It still stalled a few times with all that until I set the tps. The idle seems a lot smoother and it hasn't stalled since then.

·
Registered
138 Posts
So i have noticed that if i do not warm her up before riding, she stalls, but when i do i have no problems at all... I havnt done anythin else and she stoped doing it, also i read around the net and here on a diff thread that riding more aggresively (which ive been doing) also rebreaks the bike in (it was sitting in garage for a while before i got it) and its been better, only one stall...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Last week, my 750 began to twitch at 3-5000 rpm, all over 5000 works great, although my wingman said that behind me can smell the fuel.
On Friday, the authorized seviser done: checking the spark plugs, ignition coil, the diagnostic device tested working injectors, fuel pump, TPS, then cleaned throttle body, air filter, changed fuel filter, made ​​of cylinders synchronization ... yet there is no obvious reason for such behavior.
The next step is to ultrasonically clean the injectors and checking how much pressure they can keep, because the problem appeared suddenly after filling up at a gas station of questionable quality, and according to service it is possible that something is passed through the fuel filter and is now preventing the full closure of the injector.

·
Site Sponsor
446 Posts
FYI - I am a bit puzzled on some of these issues. Whilst we can resolve most of them often the customer is still not overly satisfied. Not through us not doing anything, just due to the problem and not getting it to a stanrd they want - and also should have. I have sent off an email tonight to the factory tech I met there who is a great guy and very knowledgable. I have tried to refine to issue to the examples where we just cant quite eliminate the issue. I have raised a heap of scenarios and options. I will put up a response when I get one which I am sure will be soon as to be honest, whilst a little slow and for want of a better term a `little italian' I have found the factory to be interested and wanting to engage riders and issues. For us it is important as we have spent a lot of time - and a lot of customers money, trying to rectify some of these bugs, most of them are actuallt really straight forward, but the odd one pops up from time to time.

I will update with any news.

j

·
Registered
203 Posts
As we assumed - ultrasonic cleaning the injectors has solved all the problems, because the injectors are leaking fuel even when they were in the "closed" position.

The symptoms for which we have come to this conclusion.

1st At high revs the engine is running well but still feel the smell of fuel.
2nd At low revs 3000-5000 twitches and sometimes it comes to ignition of fuel in the muffler.
3rd On the vacuum ports for synchronizing a few drops of fuel.
4th The engine on idle is normal, turn it off and then does not want to run but the spark plugs are wet with fuel, although a normal spark.
5th Complete electrical diagnostics showed no problem.

Congratulations to an employee in the service who had assumed what the problem is !!

·
Registered
425 Posts
So...after much mucking about, head scratching and general frustration I am finally getting to a satisfactory conclusion with the 2005 Brutale 750. As it turns out, the main issue with diagnosing and rectifying the problems was due to the compounded effects of multiple failures, as follows:

* Injector to cylinder 1 had worn thru the plug surround, this was causing intermittent failure of the injector and thus leaving the bike running on three cylinders. While only momentary to begin with, the crack had been getting worse, causing the bad fueling to occur more often.
* ECU/Eprom was limiting the fuel pressure to the throttle bodies. Not noticeable as an issue as the faulty injector was masking how much fuel the bike should have been getting. This required reflash and reinstallation.
* TPS with an intermittent issue. Would work fine at cold start, but appears to hunt up and down once at operating temperature.
* Fuel maps waaaay too rich

There are a few minor things I'm still expecting to do with the bike such as a new battery, etc. But at least the bike seems to be behaving itself now.

It just goes to show that assuming there's just one issue that's causing stalling or bad running can be a recipe for disappointment.

While beautiful and punchy, unfortunately it seems these bikes weren't gifted with the most fail safe electrical systems, highest quality plastics or with appropriate fuel maps out of the factory, and these can cause all sorts of havoc, either by themselves or in a domino effect.

Good luck....:smoking:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts