MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my bike back to dealers today to sort out the throttle issue at slower speeds. Dealer is Hampshire MV Agusta at Waterlooville.
After synchronising the throttle bodies which has cured the problem they presented me with a bill for £89. I said I thought it should be a warranty issue as I bought the bike new from them 6 months ago and expected it to run smoothly having paid £10,000 for it but he wasn't having any of it. He went on to tell me that as I do my own serviceing there could be an issue if I ever had a warranty claim. I told him that as long as the work was carried out by a "competent " person using genuine parts and in accordance with the manufacturers maintenance schedule they were legally bound to honour the warranty and as a licensed aircraft engineer I am competent.
Anyway I got the bike home. A trip of 55 miles and while cleaning it I spotted that his mechanic had left several bolts finger tight on the right hand radiator cover. He had started the bolts by hand just and forgotten to tighten them up. How bits never fell off on the ride home I will never know. Shop was closed when I found this out so will phone tomorrow and show my displeasure. This just reinforces my motto of if you need to be sure a job is done properly do it yourself.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Thats pretty shady. Might be best to figure out your countries MV warranty rep and get them on the phone while youre at the shop. Confused why he wouldnt even try to get it warrantied. Its not like warranty repairs come out of dealers pockets.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dealer. My dealer is trying hard to not warranty my license plate blinker that decided to jump ship while I was riding. I just don't understand some people.

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
It's nice that my motorcycle comes with a warranty, and I understand the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, but I basically don't trust anyone to work on my stuff but me.

I understand that some do not have the background that guys like me and squidger have, but honestly, I don't trust my local car dealer to handle a mechanism as complex as the engine oil drain plug on my car, and I don't trust the local tire shop to handle a mechanism as complex as the lug nuts on my car.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
thats quite normal from a dealer /brand .. If you do your own service you can make your warranty invalid . how does the dealer know you gave it the so called service , plus part of his money he hopes to make out of selling a bike comes from doing services

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
thats quite normal from a dealer /brand .. If you do your own service you can make your warranty invalid .
No it can't. Sounds like you need to educate yourself on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

how does the dealer know you gave it the so called service...
It's none of the dealer's effing business whether the service got done or not- if you present the vehicle at the manufacturer's representative (the dealership) for repair of a defect in manufacturing, the burden of proof would be upon the manufacturer to prove that you caused the problem. If you don't change the engine oil and the powertrain control module takes a dump, they're still paying for it (unless they want to get sued...and then still pay for it).

...plus part of his money he hopes to make out of selling a bike comes from doing services
Try this: "hope" in one hand, and take a dump in the other, then get back to us and tell us which one is fuller.

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
I'll give an example- Let's say you take your new MV Agusta motorcycle to the MV Agusta dealer and pay them for an oil change, but they double-gasket the oil filter. On the way home, it pushes all the oil out, the engine seizes up, locks the rear wheel, the bike falls down, and is totaled.

In this scenario, MV Agusta doesn't owe you a freeking penny.

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
Took my bike back to dealers today to sort out the throttle issue at slower speeds. Dealer is Hampshire MV Agusta at Waterlooville.
After synchronising the throttle bodies which has cured the problem they presented me with a bill for £89. I said I thought it should be a warranty issue as I bought the bike new from them 6 months ago and expected it to run smoothly having paid £10,000 for it but he wasn't having any of it.
Did it run poorly on the day you took delivery, and if so, why did you accept it in that condition?

If the throttle body sync (which is an adjustment) was defective, it would have been apparent immediately upon delivery.

He went on to tell me that as I do my own serviceing there could be an issue if I ever had a warranty claim. I told him that as long as the work was carried out by a "competent " person using genuine parts and in accordance with the manufacturers maintenance schedule they were legally bound to honour the warranty and as a licensed aircraft engineer I am competent.
You are absolutely correct, and he is tap-dancing on a legal landmine.

Anyway I got the bike home. A trip of 55 miles and while cleaning it I spotted that his mechanic had left several bolts finger tight on the right hand radiator cover. He had started the bolts by hand just and forgotten to tighten them up. How bits never fell off on the ride home I will never know. Shop was closed when I found this out so will phone tomorrow and show my displeasure.
This is a dealership issue, not an MV Agusta issue. At the very least, they owe you an apology.

This just reinforces my motto of if you need to be sure a job is done properly do it yourself.
I feel the same way.

·
Administrator
18,809 Posts
No it can't. Sounds like you need to educate yourself on the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act
He doesn't live in the USA....doesn't apply, although most countries have similar laws.

Your big problem here is that throttle body synchronization is a normal maintenance item. That means, unless the bike is brand new (i.e.: less than 1000K on the clock), it's your responsibility to pay for routine maintenance adjustments......and that includes throttle body synch.

Now the loose fasteners???? That is inexcusable sloppy workmanship. The "so called" technician should be apologizing profusely and being whipped by the dealer principal.
:thewife:

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
He doesn't live in the USA....doesn't apply, although most countries have similar laws.
Yes.

Your big problem here is that throttle body synchronization is a normal maintenance item. That means, unless the bike is brand new (i.e.: less than 1000K on the clock), it's your responsibility to pay for routine maintenance adjustments......and that includes throttle body synch.
Yes II, the sequel.

Now the loose fasteners???? That is inexcusable sloppy workmanship. The "so called" technician should be apologizing profusely and being whipped by the dealer principal.
:thewife:
It was a mistake, and no harm came from it. An apology is enough.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
i used work for a honda dealer rex judds if you serviced your bike either yourself or a un licensed mech they had the right not to touch it and send you to honda GB , as for if a licensed dealer fuck your bike up poliziotto correct MV dont have to sort it but the dealer does

Dave old owner of MTM and northside Suzuki here in aust said the same if a bike comes in for warranty work with out proper service details is not covered ..
also just bought a new Mitzzy wanted to service it my self and a mech mate, The warranty states very clearly that if the car is not serviced by approved service personal or company the warranty is invalid

also read MV warranty

·
Registered
560 Posts
Dave old owner of MTM and northside Suzuki here in aust said the same if a bike comes in for warranty work with out proper service details is not covered ..
I wonder how that works if theyre coming from a different dealer? Do they just refuse to work on the bike until proper documentation is received?

also just bought a new Mitzzy wanted to service it my self and a mech mate, The warranty states very clearly that if the car is not serviced by approved service personal or company the warranty is invalid
Doesnt fly in certain countries.

"Under EU Block Exemption legislation which has been around for many years now, a manufacturer cannot force a buyer to have their car serviced by their official dealership network, and cannot refuse to honour a new car warranty simply because a car has been serviced elsewhere. However, a manufacturer does have the right to set a servicing schedule which must be adhered to." http://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/new-car-warranty-servicing/ I'm assuming the OP's location of surrey is in the EU...

·
Registered
837 Posts
You can have your bike/car/vehicle serviced at a non-franchised dealer and the warranty still be valid (in the UK) but yes, they can refuse to honour/act upon a warranty claim until suitable documentation is presented to show it has been maintained correctly. Also, you would be required to prove that the person doing the work is suitably skilled and competent to do the work required. I'm guessing that merely providing receipts for some parts does not meet the above criteria?

Comes back to building a decent relationship with your local dealer rather than shopping around (nationwide) to save a couple of quid that comes back to bite/cost you later ......

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
nneal did i say by the deaership NO i said a licensed dealer that means not a back yard mechanic or by yourself

in your warranty book are normally service stamp area to be filled out by your service center not by billy blogs the local mr fixit

MV Moose correct

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all your posts guys.

The bike has had this issue from new but I thought give it a chance to bed in as I have never had a bike with fly by wire throttle before.

I contacted MV Agusta last night and they have replied this morning saying they will get their rep to look into it.

I totally blame the dealer only in this case and feel sure a different dealer would have resulted in a different ending. I am just about to call him and inform him of my displeasure.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Thanks for all your posts guys.

The bike has had this issue from new but I thought give it a chance to bed in as I have never had a bike with fly by wire throttle before.

I contacted MV Agusta last night and they have replied this morning saying they will get their rep to look into it.

I totally blame the dealer only in this case and feel sure a different dealer would have resulted in a different ending. I am just about to call him and inform him of my displeasure.
Be sure to let us know how it goes mate

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
i think you should read the clauses in your warranty , i just read them

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
A manufacturer printing official-looking service "coupons", or offering special places in the manual to record your maintenance history, has absolutely ZERO affect on your rights as a consumer under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

And the manufacturer has no legal standing to attempt to "require" any particular credentials or "approval" of the person performing the maintenance. A monkey could do the maintenance, as long as it was done correctly.

And finally, the burden of proof is NOT upon the consumer, to prove that the maintenance was done correctly- the burden of proof would be on the manufacturer, to try to prove that the maintenance wasn't done correctly. Even then, they would only be able to deny claims relating directly to the incorrect maintenance- for example, if you did your own valve adjustment and your transmission failed as a result of a manufacturing defect, they would still owe you a transmission.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts