MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Another newbie to this forum, quick intro - I am from Australia, I currently ride a Buell XB Lightning and previously a Speed Triple - so I am a streetfighter fan of some time and like riding the backroads and mountains around where I live.

I have been test riding alot of bikes and the Brutale in the 750 I liked the most of all, and have basically got a good deal ready on a new bike for next week but am worried about one thing in particular.

When I test rode another 750 I found ALOT of induction noise. By the end of a 30 minute spirited ride I was wishing I was wearing my ear plugs - its a nice sound but the volume level may mean I would need ear plugs all the time which is something I was actually wanting to move away from as I currently need them with the Buell and loud muffler slung under the rider... Is there bungs in air intakes that are then mostly pulled out (like other bikes seem to have to pass noise ride by tests) ? The bike I rode had 11000km on clock so may have been modified by previous owner (I would be buying a new bike)

Apart from that I really liked the bike alot - I was not able to test it over our typical less then smooth aussie roads so I am curious about its ability to track over inperfections and bumps but it felt well planted. This is very important as I do go away from typical sports bike roads to less travelled places and the road surfaces are not what you would call good at times.

And lastly the pegs are adjustable? so could I lower them by much?

thanks heaps!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Firstly, welcome! Secondly, the Brutale is the bike to have, but to address your concerns:
A. Earplugs recommended for sure.
B. Not nice over road imperfections. Bumps really spoil the experience. The brute likes it smooth.
C. Pegs on the 750 are not adjustable, as far as I know. 910 pegs are adjustable. There are some really nice aftermarket rearsets of course.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hi Iron Chef,

- Sometimes I wear earplugs, sometimes I don't. Yes it's loud but it's a wonderful loud. You get used to it.
- MV springs are very stiff for Aussie roads BUT suspension front and rear is fully adjustable (preload, rebound, high speed & low speed compression). If it's still too stiff once you've played with it, softer aftermarket springs are available.
- Pegs aren't adjustable on the 750. Aftermarket rearsets are lovely as dearpixel has pointed out, but they're quite expensive.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Welcome to the forum... i got a lot of good answers to my Q's from folks here and this helped me purchase a Brutale 750s in the end.

Can't help u with the induction modification but i do know the 910 isn't as loud as the 750. I like the sound of the 750 the most and as u said it was a spirited ride u went on so the revs were probably higher than the normal 5,000 range u would be doing if u were sitting between 100-110km/hr... i found that more comfortable on my ears and i totally love the sound. :)

I had a look at your link to the top 25 rides and i did 500kms of test riding on 2 Brutales in one day on some of these roads... the suspension was a nicer setting for me on the 910 so the roads were comfy... the 750 was set way too hard and i didn't enjoy this so much... to be fair the dealer set it up like that for me b/c he thought i wanted to go hard on the twisties... so i am not worried about whether it's going to be too rough... but if it does get too rough it's a worthwhile compromise as the rest of the ride makes up for it! :ahhh:

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
On my 910S i added the 910R header and midpipe thru my stock muffelers it made the exhaust sound better and a little louder. what i noticed was it evend out the intake sound. Theres less of it or it toned it down a little im not shur all i know is the intake sound is less. Hope that makes sense. Plus more seat of pants power.

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
Welcome aboard! Where in Oz are you?

·
Registered
109 Posts
He's in Brisbane Sven... look at the link on his post... tells u where he rides with some nice photos, (worth a look),... i have ridden on most of these roads... i get where he is going with wanting another bike, and he's been testing quite a few lately... it's biased of course but i think he will enjoy the Brutale without having to go through all the adjustments that he has on his Buell...

I think he should test the 910 to get a different feel... although he doesn't want the huge power b/c he wants to stick to speed limits... the 910 could fit the bill if he doesn't like the loudness of the standard pipes on the 750...

I chose the 750 part reason being i looooved the sound and still had power when i needed... not as much as the 910... but a compromise i could live with b/c i don't want to bust the speed limit for the sake of it... speed is and can be addictive!!!

I get where Spalding is going with the ear plugs thing but riding my bike once or twice a week with the DB being under or near the recommended limit won't make me wear them...

I do a lot of Quad work with my business... now there's a real vehicle that needs ear plugs... not hearing your car engine after being on one of them all day is reason enough!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
There was a travel article in Motorcyclist magazine a while ago-- within the last two years-- written by a guy who rode across morocco or something on a Brutale. Basically, he used it like someone else (someone saner) would use a rally bike. He survived. Check back issues at your library for the past couple years, or the Reader's Guide to find it. You might be interested to hear how he fared on less than perfect roads (understatement!).

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I'll pile on here, thinking about adding a brutale 750 to the stable. Had lots of ducs and aprilias including 750 and 800 monster, anyone owned one and does the monster differ significantly from the brutale 750? Mainly in terms of perf. Assume the MV doesn't have the torque of the monster but perhaps I'm mistaken?

Only ever owned twins except for the wing and k1200lt I had.

·
Registered
268 Posts
zvez, I owned an M900 amongst the many bikes I've owned. I eventually got a 600 and commuted on it because it was so much more capable than the monster at everything. The Brutale now has ejected all other streetbikes from the stable-- it's got the low-end grunt of a Monster, but then piles an insane top-end on it that outstrips any 600 of course. It's lighter and sharper yet more stable than the monster, better suspended for sure. Not many people have complaints except for the very tall or the very picky. It's a pretty ripping bike.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys for the great feedback, much apreciated.

I agree I will need to continue wearing my earplugs anyway so the induction noise isnt really an issue for me any more.

Yes I am from Brisbane Queensland. I did a big ride today on the little XB Buell over alot of rough as hell country roads. (Queen Mary Falls to Wondenbong to Old Bonalbo <for the locals>) One neat trick Erik Buell and his engineers managed on the bike is despite the 250GP size and geometry it is simply impossible to make it head shake even with surfaces worse than most gravel roads. But the lack of power from the pushrod twin was again wearing thin with me and I was imagining how the Brutale would be on various sections of the road/ride today. Another step closer I think.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was at Queen Mary Falls last weekend... i live pretty close to there and go up 'the Head' road...

If u were imagining what it's like to ride the Brutale on roads u go on regularly, find a dealer that will give u a bike all day like the Gold Coast dealer did for me!... it's great that a dealer will let u test ride one to start with but i needed to go on roads that i know to get the best comparison. I did 500kms of test riding on the 910 and 750... both are great and i ended up getting the 750... plenty of power.

Hope u get things sorted and let us know what u decide...

David

PS. I can give u the name of the guy u need to talk to if u need a decent test ride... just PM me.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
manalagi001 said:
zvez, I owned an M900 amongst the many bikes I've owned. I eventually got a 600 and commuted on it because it was so much more capable than the monster at everything. The Brutale now has ejected all other streetbikes from the stable-- it's got the low-end grunt of a Monster, but then piles an insane top-end on it that outstrips any 600 of course. It's lighter and sharper yet more stable than the monster, better suspended for sure. Not many people have complaints except for the very tall or the very picky. It's a pretty ripping bike.

Thanks for the input, good to hear some comparisons from someone experiencing them both. I'll probably go with a 750, as they're some incredibly good deals on used ones out there. And from some of the threads comparing 750 and 910 they both have good points to them. Don't really need the extra torque, my priller and duc have plenty when I need that.
Chris

·
Registered
341 Posts
the major difference you will find between the brutale 750 and a twin like the monster is the lack of low down torque on the 750,i`ve ridden the monster on a few occasions but owned a 748R for 5 years before chopping it in for a brutale 750,only kept that for a couple of months as i couldn`t get used to having to rev the nuts off the thing to get into the power,i loved the look,sound and handling of the brutale so there was only one thing for it,i bought a 910,PERFECT !

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Nice quiet helmet like the Schuberth and there's no need for earplugs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Iron Chef said:
Cowtipper - do you have a steering dampner fitted or not needed for our roads?
I hit some pretty rough roads today, Barney View to Rathdowney through to Hillview and actually thought about one; but then i handled it fine without any troubling wobbles and then didn't think about it again.

That Beaudesert-Boonah Rd was soo much fun... u should know it.

In all i am certainly not going to bother getting one any time soon... if at all... just gonna hang on tight and have a big grin on my face :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts