MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isssue has been reported by some. Here it goes again

Durin my recent long ride (2800 mi in a wk) from Boston, down to the hills of the Southeast, then to Atlanta, my Brutale S started to stall when the engine temp was around 210-220 F. It occurred in 75-80f ambient, at a stop (or slowing down).

The coolant level was checked. The stalling seemed to coincide after the engine was warm enough to have a small amount of its coolant drain through the drain tube while the bike was being fueled. (btw--also, the annoying gas spill via drain tube, after a fill-up, with the bike hot, is a thread on it's own)

According to other temp-related threads, my coolant temp doesn't seem to be excessively high. As a matter of fact, the temp gauge never goes over 220f. (with a stock fan/water pump)

This is more of an annoyance than a problem, I think. Anyone experience the same problem? What remedy did you seek, and what worked?:yo:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
You may have some air in the system. When you stop for fuel the water in the engine gets a significant heat shunt and any air in the system will expand and hence the overflow loses a bit of coolant.
I solved this on my F4 by from cold..

take off the header tank cap.
start the bike
let her warm to about 80C
Don't let it boil as watwer will spurt out everywhere as the air in the system expands
stop the bike.
refit the cap.

Use the bike

Next day from cold repeat the exercise but top up the coolant level first. Each time you do this some bubbles will rise. I found with the F4 I couldn't get rid of them all at once it took a few repeats...

The other point is..You didn't go past the Yankees ground did you as we all know the " yankees suck" ;)

joe

ps one final point..If there is insufficient coolant in the system the temp sensor won't work correctly as it is supposed to sit in the water flow...No water and hmmmm

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Joe

Many thanks. I will attempt to try your remedy when I am reunited with my bike in July. (currently it is in Atlanta)

I'd like a bit more explanation about why some air in the cooling system makes the bike to stall. Is it because it is actually much hotter and the temp sensor is shutting the bike down?

Regarding my trip down, yes I took the GWB. Not so far away from where I grew up, which makes me a........die-hard Yahnkee fan. So are my two daughters. (raising your child as a Sox fan is like child abuse IMO :))

Ps. I admit my allegiance while I reside deep in the Sox Nation. Can't go to my wife's family function without seeing at least a couple of Sox garb on her nephews. Currently being replaced with the Bruins bandwagon.

·
Super Moderator
2,643 Posts
I'm not sure if the Temp Sensor actually shuts the bike down?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think the stalling is more an issue of the electrical demand when hot. Mine does this occasionally, always at a light or idling and always around the time the fan is cycling on off, which I believe provides the additional electrical draw causing the hickup or stall. I have read that iridium sparkplugs will remedy this.

·
Registered
365 Posts
If the stalling happens only when the engine is hot then I might not have an answer but if it's stalling most of the times when you slow down or down shift or are on a stop light, it will generally be a tuning issue. just my 2 cents.

·
Administrator
20,762 Posts
210 is a normal operating temp...you do not have an overheating problem. You are stalling because the bike needs tuning. Throttle synch, CO trim and TPS need to be done when the bike is at operating temp of 180~210.

·
Super Moderator
2,643 Posts
I think Eddy and Sarge may be on the money :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts