MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, another proud owner of a Black/White 1090R. Will be delivered in the next 60mins...! Live in Aberdeen, although bike is coming up from a dealer in Manchester. Just joined the site so looking forward to being part of the family...I sold my Ducati 998S last year and looking forward to owning and riding the MV....

I've read loads of reports on the net about breaking in a new engine, especially the one from Moto man....Any thoughts/views on the subject would be gladly appreciated....I'll also be looking for a new CF hugger....Thanks again....

·
Registered
365 Posts
Congrats on the purchase and welcome...Not an expert on the breaking in a new engine but I am sure there are a lot of people here with good advise. Enjoy the rides ...50 mins to go I guess.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Well done mate and welcome!

As for running in a new engine, my wife and i belt our cars and bikes from day one. We've never had anything fall apart, they've all run really well and we rack up plenty of kms on them to :)

I'd be more concerned about the damage caused to an engine from letting a bike/car sit in the garage for a month without being ridden. Lots of low km bikes out there with engine rebuilds because they sit in a shed and are rarely ridden.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...That was my intention as well....I think the important part is changing the oil filter within the first 100 miles

·
Registered
210 Posts
Congrats on the new bike and welcome to the club, black and white....good choice.
Ride it like you stole it from day one!!

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Some will claim your engine has been run on the dyno right up to redline, so go ahead and flog it. Others say that was a short pull and you need to follow the manual to properly break it in.

Other than changing the oil filter after the first few miles, which sounds like a good idea to me, I would just follow the manual.

If you have a problem with the bike later and the dealer asks if you followed the break in procedure are you going to be able to say yes? Or worse yet, they tear down the engine and find evidence you rode it like you stole it from day one, they could invalidate your warranty.

You probably won't hurt anything riding it normally, but for the short period of time it takes to rack up the required mileage, do what the book says.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Running in a new engine

The attention to detail provided in the manufacturing and fabrication of a modern motorcycle in the category of this bike makes changing the oil filter in 100 miles unnecessary and frankly, in my view, wasteful.

MV Agusta specifies some RPM limits for running in this engine. Between you, me, and MV Agusta, I'd take the factory's advice, as they see the results of all those who choose not to follow their advice.

Attached are several pages from the 1090RR owner's manual.

I hope you enjoy the new bike this week and many years to come.

Dick

Attachments

·
Registered
851 Posts
Haggizbasher - Congrats on your acquisition :drummer: - dunno about changing oil at 100 miles though :wtf: - do MV put non/semi in for running in period?? I'd at least double that to let things 'smooth-up' inside... + self imposed Rev limits not as important as avoid loading up by being in too high a gear! Avoid towns - avoid motorways and constant RPM
Given that running in threads always create a lot of disparate views I await much :argue::laughing:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
If you have a problem with the bike later and the dealer asks if you followed the break in procedure are you going to be able to say yes? Or worse yet, they tear down the engine and find evidence you rode it like you stole it from day one, they could invalidate your warranty.
This brings up a good question. Can the dealer actually readout what you have done during the run in time?

If an engine blows up within a few months i'd argue it was going to blow up regardless of whether the run in procedure was followed or not.

Granted following procedure will alleviate possible future headache's if they arise, i'd still like to know if they can actually read the data.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Clearly my "Ride it like you stole it" comment got under CAG's skin. You posted more than 60mins ago so chances are your now out on your new toy experiencing the joy of brutale ownership. Sensible advice.... Take it out for a ten mile run being very cautious while you get use to the riding position and controls, wheel it back into your garage and adjust rear brake, gear change, mirrors, brake lever, clutch lever and pegs to suit. Take it back out and ride it steady for 100 miles to bed your tyres in, come home crack open a beer and tell us what you think then tomorrow RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!:laughing:

·
Super Moderator
22,651 Posts
I'm with CAG hee and I've never experienced any engine failure...or issue for that matter. Follow th book and long live your MV. (There's plenty of time to "flog it")

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just returned from home, bike now safe in the garage, unfortunately...I have to work....to pay for it so will be tonight before I get to ride her...Bike looks great, I had ordered a red one but changed to white/black at the last moment....which I'm now glad for doing so.
Thanks for all the comments on breaking in the engine. I gathered there would be mixed feelings about this topic and always good for discussion. The engine comes with fully synthetic oil.....I will still change the oil filter after 100 miles, but won't be too hard on the engine....it's an MV....I'm sure it'll handle it with ease….Will post some pictures up soon….

·
Registered
324 Posts
Congratulations on the new toy!

I look at the break in to be as important for rider acclimation, suspension break-in and brakes as the motor.

If the motor is going to detonate, I don't think a mild thrashing during the break-in period is going to have much to do with it. OTOH, continually running it against the rev limiter and smoking the tire in a parking lot is probably not a good idea.

If you just take it reasonably easy and the motor fails early, I would guess that it would be due more to an initial quality or tolerance problem than anything else. The way MV puts bikes together, I think the chances of that are slim.

I've seen a couple motors (not MV's) that were obviously neglected and then seriously abused to the point of failure - they usually show heat damage and extensive scoring on mating surfaces like bearings. Faulty initial quality is more likely to show up in big structural failures and is usually just manifested with lots of metal chunks/particles or punctured cases from the bits inside just freewheeling around the sump.

Just ride the thing and have fun, don't thrash it and keep an eye on the instruments for any warning indicators (oil/temp).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jeffk....some good advice and thanks...I've just paid a small fortune for the bike....so my wife tells me anyway....and I intend to keep it for a long long time....so certainly won't be going mad on it....Posted some pictures off both bikes on the gallery

·
Registered
589 Posts
My tame oil expert advices running-in on mineral oil until the first change as this allows surfaces to mate together at the lower revs demanded by the factory. The theory is that modern oils are so good that many an engine has never been properly run-in. If glazing occurs on the bores during this time, then later problems can arise.
The story of a Cbr 600 that was persuaded to give the h.p that the factory claimed, by 5 or 6 flat out runs on a dyno, says a lot. H.p. up by 6 h.p. on a 6 year old bike.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the forum.
I'm with CAG on this one, it wont do any harm following the manual for the running in process. I did the same thing with my F4, and if you're anything like me, it wont take you long to rack up some miles cso you'll want to be on it every chance you get.
Have fun!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers Dawg....Hope to get some miles racked up this weekend...weather dependant....(always bonnie weather in North Scotland...!) I'm sure it'll be a completely different bike from the Duke.....but looking forward to it!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Haggiz -have you gone from the 910R to the 1090?? Be interested to hear your comparison when you have done a few miles if that's the case :blah: - well - report even if that's not the case :laughing:

·
Registered
272 Posts
I visited the MV Factory and watched everything from the techs building the engines to the dyno runs. It is true they run the motors at FULL POWER for 5 minutes.
They record each engines power output, drain the oil and add new oil. I asked the guy giving us the tour about "break in". Initially he didn't understand because
they call it "run in". Once he understood what I was talking about he LAUGHED and said "no run in necessary". I couldn't believe it!

I still take it a bit easy while "running in" my MV's, but I don't worry about flogging them a bit either. You are in fact still running in other components also....NOT just
the engine. Brakes, etc.

Here's a few pics I took:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts