MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All being well, will collect tomorrow, so it is goodbye to the Daytona 675, Hello F3
Will be Interesting to compare the two, photos to follow

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Keep us posted! I rode the Daytona R and it's absolutely fabulous though it felt lacking in 'feel' everywhere jumping off straight from my F4 to it. I am just so used to the F4 that riding anything else, I really miss that mechanical feel of the machine. Straight from the subtle vibrations in the handlebar to the gear shifting to all the pops and bangs from the exhaust etc etc. The Daytona felt like it hid all that from me. Not sure I liked that. I know I am weird...but there you have it.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keep us posted! I rode the Daytona R and it's absolutely fabulous though it felt lacking in 'feel' everywhere jumping off straight from my F4 to it. I am just so used to the F4 that riding anything else, I really miss that mechanical feel of the machine. Straight from the subtle vibrations in the handlebar to the gear shifting to all the pops and bangs from the exhaust etc etc. The Daytona felt like it hid all that from me. Not sure I liked that. I know I am weird...but there you have it.
It is finally home, first impressions after 100 miles:
Forget the problems with the fuel mapping that has been well documented, it is uncomfortable under 4000 rpm, but you can deal with it as long as to much time is not spent in town.
Gear change is slick and road holding appears brilliant, although restricted to 70mph
What did surprise me was that it was more comfortable to ride than the Daytona, suspension wise.
Surprise surprise when I arrived home the right hand grille was just about to fall off. Looks like a job for Super Glue
Photos will follow at the weekend

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for posting the triumph pic. After seeing the triumph, and the f3 pic below it, you can really see the styling the f3 has over the triumph. How does the f3 compare to the daytona? Is the mcn comparo accurate in your opinion?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Thanks for the pics and the brief report. Keep us posted and enjoy to the fullest.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Congrats Bruce, I have to say your Triumph is imacculate! no doubt your F3 will be kept the same way, did you change your mind on having the mirrors painted?

I still can't decide, I might just have the spoiler part painted instead.

Nice garden too :)

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Congrats Bruce, I have to say your Triumph is imacculate! no doubt your F3 will be kept the same way, did you change your mind on having the mirrors painted?

Spoiler ? Is that the front or rear wheel guard or mud-guard ? I think the mirrors will stand out even more if painted, but the front mud-guard I think needs painting to match bike colour for sure. As for the rear - C/Fibre :naughty:.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

ForzaItalia found that it was impossible to separate the parts of the mirror and therefore could not guarantee a perfect paint finish. We tried mirrors from various F4 but they would not fit correctly to the fairing. I'm sure there will be colour coded mirrors available in the future. As I deal with the body repair industry I will make further enquiries
Restricted so far to 200 miles, weather is driving me mad, so cannot give a true comparison with the Daytona, but other than the fuel issue at low speeds, the signs are very promising

·
Registered
561 Posts
I looked at the mirrors and wondered how well they would come out, I figured I would key them myself then have them sprayed with plastic primer and key to a smooth finish. Getting the right colour match is often difficult too.

I don't think you can remove the glass without breaking it either, one for the winter projects I think.

I even thought about colour coding the front mudguard too.

I have to say I'm getting used to the mapping now, I went out yesterday and had a brilliant ride, I'm still in custom mode with max torque sport and slow throttle as my settings. Now I have almost 400 miles on the clock I decided to give it a blast. It's seriously quick when you ride it aggressively.

I think we all agree now that if the new map can improve this bike even more then it can only get better for us.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Despite the appalling weather, I have now covered over 400 miles. Getting use to the low rpm problem, but could do without it. To date not stalled once, but you have to keep the revs up when pulling away and use the clutch more than you should do.

Plus Points:
Road holding excellent steering very positive.
Gear change and ratio very good, may not fit a quickshifter which was on the Daytona
Brakes very good.
Dials are better than the Triumph
Lights not yet used.

Minus Points:
Mirror view very poor (Blurred), difficult to judge how close overtaking vehicles are
When in 5th, neutral light comes on and read out is 'N'
Right hand air grille came adrift.

I am looking forward to just one thing “A change in the weather and sunshine”

·
Registered
504 Posts
Perfect, you showed us some of the problem areas on the F3, including photos, but you have not shown us your fixes. I'd like to know what you did and how they looked (if it was an appeance item, like the wiring to the fuses).

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I looked at the mirrors and wondered how well they would come out, I figured I would key them myself then have them sprayed with plastic primer and key to a smooth finish. Getting the right colour match is often difficult too.

I don't think you can remove the glass without breaking it either, one for the winter projects I think.

I even thought about colour coding the front mudguard too.

I have to say I'm getting used to the mapping now, I went out yesterday and had a brilliant ride, I'm still in custom mode with max torque sport and slow throttle as my settings. Now I have almost 400 miles on the clock I decided to give it a blast. It's seriously quick when you ride it aggressively.

I think we all agree now that if the new map can improve this bike even more then it can only get better for us.
How would you replace a bulb then? Hoping to get clear indicator lenses, hate the orange ones.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Despite the appalling weather, I have now covered over 400 miles. Getting use to the low rpm problem, but could do without it. To date not stalled once, but you have to keep the revs up when pulling away and use the clutch more than you should do.

Plus Points:
Road holding excellent steering very positive.
Gear change and ratio very good, may not fit a quickshifter which was on the Daytona
Brakes very good.
Dials are better than the Triumph
Lights not yet used.

Minus Points:
Mirror view very poor (Blurred), difficult to judge how close overtaking vehicles are
When in 5th, neutral light comes on and read out is 'N'
Right hand air grille came adrift.

I am looking forward to just one thing “A change in the weather and sunshine”
I have just bought a Honda & it fuels crap & the idiots lights do what they want & the fairings fall off & need glueing back on & that is on the day it leaves the showroom!

The above sentence sounds ridiculous but if it was true then Honda would be massacred by the press & owners alike, but MV seem to be able to build a bike which looks brilliant but it really is pretty sh*t cause they can & owners are prepared to fork out £10k & not be bothered!

It amazes me.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have just bought a Honda & it fuels crap & the idiots lights do what they want & the fairings fall off & need glueing back on & that is on the day it leaves the showroom!

The above sentence sounds ridiculous but if it was true then Honda would be massacred by the press & owners alike, but MV seem to be able to build a bike which looks brilliant but it really is pretty sh*t cause they can & owners are prepared to fork out £10k & not be bothered!

It amazes me.
It's not the fairing it's just a grill mesh insert that needs better glue, but I get what you mean.

I don't find it that hard to understand why people are willing to suffer a little grief, Honda are big and MV are tiny and are trying hard to fill their orders, and if you are passionate about something you will put up with some grief. If I was waiting for one I would rather be on it and then wait for a better fuel map to turn up later.

The bike I loved the most was a Yamaha Black/Red RD500LC back in 1986, beautiful and exotic and rare. The front fairing engine guard grill fell off at speed somewhere, a poor fitting design and it had no power low down, you had to slip the clutch when pulling away until 4000 RPM. When above 7,000 RPM and shutting the throttle it was like a spanner had been thrown in the engine, this was a secretly known fault which was improved if the counter balance was moved to the rear crank, but Yamaha didn't want to admit it. It also seized on 1 cylinder at around 2.500 miles and the mirrors were poor. 9 years ago I bought another one, loved that one to. In other words it's called passion.

The ultimate example of passion over flawed is the Mods Vespa, they were always breaking down on rallies, we use to take the piss out of them.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
ForzaItalia found that it was impossible to separate the parts of the mirror and therefore could not guarantee a perfect paint finish. We tried mirrors from various F4 but they would not fit correctly to the fairing. I'm sure there will be colour coded mirrors available in the future. As I deal with the body repair industry I will make further enquiries
Restricted so far to 200 miles, weather is driving me mad, so cannot give a true comparison with the Daytona, but other than the fuel issue at low speeds, the signs are very promising
others managed to do so http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?p=527541#post527541

1 - 20 of 31 Posts