MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scary, scary...riding along at 70mph and rear wheel start to go lateral. No problem I say, I can make it another 50 miles home. Based on the posts regarding the hub I figured this was the culprit. Then metal shavings started to fly up in my face (BAD):thewife:. Pulled over in the middle of cotton field country North Carolina. Called a wrecker and 3 hrs later I was home. Not fun...

MV did not issue a recall on this hub failure b/c it would simply cost too much to fix. How many guys hit the pavement due to this engineering flaw?? This is one of those ethical delimas that MV faced...in the end they said "fuck it, we are keeping quiet on this one."

Anyway, just got my new Mitchy from Alex. Mitch is a stud for developing this part. Kudos for Mitch and his design team, amazing work.

Phil
NC, USA

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hub install

quick question on install.

Can you just use a car lift to raise the rear and front wheel chalk with straps.

Or, are people using tiedowns attached to a upper horizontal beam??

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
a front stand or wheel chock is good.....

then a floor jack with overhead straps as safeties

my hoist has a front wheel clamp and then I use a Fat Jack and straps, not dropping any bikes

:jsm:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Knurl, I figured you had to secure from top. Do you have a custom welded set-up for the over-head supports???

phil

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
thanks Knurl, I figured you had to secure from top. Do you have a custom welded set-up for the over-head supports???

phil
Phil;
no, my Father put some 1/4"x3" tabs on the floor joists on the centerline of the garage....

don't know what they'll take, but 1 survived lifting my Big Block El Camino front end.....so thats ~2,100 pounds

I need to put a piece of 2" between 2 of them so I don't have to move the hoist

secured from above you can't drop it

:drummer:

·
Vendor
5,638 Posts
Scary, scary...riding along at 70mph and rear wheel start to go lateral. No problem I say, I can make it another 50 miles home. Based on the posts regarding the hub I figured this was the culprit. Then metal shavings started to fly up in my face (BAD):thewife:. Pulled over in the middle of cotton field country North Carolina. Called a wrecker and 3 hrs later I was home. Not fun...

MV did not issue a recall on this hub failure b/c it would simply cost too much to fix. How many guys hit the pavement due to this engineering flaw?? This is one of those ethical delimas that MV faced...in the end they said "fuck it, we are keeping quiet on this one."

Anyway, just got my new Mitchy from Alex. Mitch is a stud for developing this part. Kudos for Mitch and his design team, amazing work.

Phil
NC, USA
Hi Phil,and thanks for the purchase.Just a question,how many miles has your bike done.I just want to record the failure in my log.
Also to answer a couple of your questions-
There is a forum member here in Australia that hit the road due to hub failure,thank god he wasn't too badly injured.
There probably have been more injuries over the years that we don't know about.
Secondly,before MV started making the upgraded hub,they blamed the failures on overtightened chain,overtorqued pinch bolts and owners pressure washing their bikes.I would say quite a few failed because of this but not all.Thats just my opinion.Noel has proved this by showing how weak the wheel side bearing is in the earlier style hubs.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Phil
NC, USA
How many miles do you have on your bike? Nothing lasts forever, and the same goes for warranties. When my wheel bearings failed, I had been hitting speeds close to 100 mph. The wobble gave me a warning that something was going bad. The failure didn't happen instantly. Rear hub wheel bearings are a known soft spot on any motorcycle with a single sided swing arm. Be thankful someone like Mitch came along and made a retro part that is an upgrade for our old bikes. My Brutale had 23,000 miles before the rear wheel bearings had failed. I could have been prudent and changed the bearings and seals as recommended many miles before mine failed. I chose to be a cheap ass and run it until it failed. By doing so, the brake rotor bolts destroyed the edge of the hub where the brake caliper mount is held on with a large snap ring. The wheel bearings and seal kit is $125.00 from the dealer, whereas a Mitchy hub approaches $800.00. I have the capability of changing the bearings and seals MYSELF and could have saved lots of money by doing so.
I have a friend that owns and rides a 750 F4. He has 22,000 miles on his bike and I have warned him that he has a choice, change the bearings and seals now for $125.00, or be prepared to pay for the upgrade. MV recognized the weakness of its design and the later hubs have two bearings and a wider landing for the inner race of the bearings on the axle.
In closing, be happy that Mitch sells his product to US in the USA because some manufacturers of critical auto or motorcycle parts in Australia REFUSE to sell to us because we have such a litigious bunch of wankers living amongst us. I once purchased from Australia some beautiful spindles and front axles for an antique car . I had to have a friend of mine purchase them and have them shipped to the UK, and then repackaged and sent to me in SoCal because the manufacturer feared being sued in the future by some American. Is this what our society has become... a bunch of crybabies?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Don't think MV was irresponsible for not recalling all the early motorcycles. When you get over 20,000 miles out of a set of any wheel bearings, that is acceptable. I recently changed some wheel bearings on a friends late model Honda that has a double sided swing arm. The rear wheel hub and chain carrier have three bearings. One in the chain hub, and two in the wheel. Changing out the hub in my Brutale was an easier job than changing the wheel bearings that had failed in the Honda wheel. Those bearings press into a pocket, and the bearing that had totally failed was a pain in the ass to extract. I had to heat the hub and use a bearing race extractor to remove the outer race. The only advantage of the Honda over the MV is the price of the bearings. The bearing and seal kit was $36.00. But that is the price we gladly pay to ride exotic Italian machinery compared to cheap run-of-the-mill crap from the Orient.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input Mitch and amcarguy!!!

So my F4 had 9,800 miles (not KM) before hub failure. Maybe about 8 trackdays (B group). Due to my schedule with work did not have time to "do it myself". Took it to the local Ducati dealership (not MV certified) and explained the deal. The top service guy said he has NEVER had a ducati hub failure. This was suprising to me since Duc/MV had/has similiar swing arms.

I was very anal about pinch bolt torque and chain torque per NM conversion to FT LB on my torque wrench for the last 5 yrs (bought it with 1,500 miles). Never pressure washed.

So, yes Mitch it is unfurtunate that MV handled it this way. But I do understand...they are a small Company and a recall of this magnitude could have killed them. On another note...MV did hook me up with a new gas tank out of warranty after original one developed a hole at a rub point.

Even after this fiasco, I thing MV is a great Company and make awesome bikes...they still have my loyalty and I will keep my F4 till I DIE!

phil

Attachments

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
?

Don't think MV was irresponsible for not recalling all the early motorcycles. When you get over 20,000 miles out of a set of any wheel bearings, that is acceptable.
let me put it this way.....

BULLSHIT

the stock 3810-2RS bearing is NOT designed for 125-200HP applications

its designed for accurate positioning of robotic machinery with 1-2HP DC stepper motors, thats why its an annular contact bearing

I POSTED the pinch bolt torque values that crush the internal clearance out of the bearing and crush the bearing.....and its less than the recommended 28-32Nm

by the way...... my totally abused work truck has 327,000mi on the original wheel bearings

:popcorn:

·
Vendor
5,638 Posts
Thanks for the input Mitch and amcarguy!!!

So my F4 had 9,800 miles (not KM) before hub failure. Maybe about 8 trackdays (B group). Due to my schedule with work did not have time to "do it myself". Took it to the local Ducati dealership (not MV certified) and explained the deal. The top service guy said he has NEVER had a ducati hub failure. This was suprising to me since Duc/MV had/has similiar swing arms.

I was very anal about pinch bolt torque and chain torque per NM conversion to FT LB on my torque wrench for the last 5 yrs (bought it with 1,500 miles). Never pressure washed.

So, yes Mitch it is unfurtunate that MV handled it this way. But I do understand...they are a small Company and a recall of this magnitude could have killed them. On another note...MV did hook me up with a new gas tank out of warranty after original one developed a hole at a rub point.

Even after this fiasco, I thing MV is a great Company and make awesome bikes...they still have my loyalty and I will keep my F4 till I DIE!

phil
Phil,Ducati use a beefy twin roller bearing on the wheel side as do Triumphs and very few failures occur.Suprisingly MV and Ducati hubs are made by the same company CRC.Unfortunatly MV have made the hub and axle a certain diameter whereas a twin roller bearing is not possible because of the odd sizes.Anyhow we have to make do with what we have.You won't have to worry about your rear hub from now on.:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
let me put it this way.....

BULLSHIT

the stock 3810-2RS bearing is NOT designed for 125-200HP applications

its designed for accurate positioning of robotic machinery with 1-2HP DC stepper motors, thats why its an annular contact bearing

I POSTED the pinch bolt torque values that crush the internal clearance out of the bearing and crush the bearing.....and its less than the recommended 28-32Nm

by the way...... my totally abused work truck has 327,000mi on the original wheel bearings

:popcorn:
Everything is designed for a purpose. I've seen on some posts where the author is bragging about how much heavier Mitch's hub is compared to the stock hub. Any engineer that is concerned about unsprung weight would be aghast at the difference in weight. But unless you are a top notch racer riding over a rough track, you probably wouldn't notice the difference. There is no doubt that the hub is a soft spot on the bike, so are plastic gas tanks in California where we are forced to burn gas blended with alcohol. I came to realize everything is a compromise from an engineering standpoint. When you have a heavy car, unsprung weight isn't such a problem compared to a light motorcycle and can run large tapered roller bearings. When it comes to wheel bearings, I had an old 500 SEC Mercedes that did more than 500 thousand miles on the original bearings. But my Mercedes was no where near as much fun as my MV. So we learn to live with the shortcomings and come up with solutions to our problems. :brutale:

·
Vendor
5,638 Posts
Everything is designed for a purpose. I've seen on some posts where the author is bragging about how much heavier Mitch's hub is compared to the stock hub. Any engineer that is concerned about unsprung weight would be aghast at the difference in weight. But unless you are a top notch racer riding over a rough track, you probably wouldn't notice the difference. There is no doubt that the hub is a soft spot on the bike, so are plastic gas tanks in California where we are forced to burn gas blended with alcohol. I came to realize everything is a compromise from an engineering standpoint. When you have a heavy car, unsprung weight isn't such a problem compared to a light motorcycle and can run large tapered roller bearings. When it comes to wheel bearings, I had an old 500 SEC Mercedes that did more than 500 thousand miles on the original bearings. But my Mercedes was no where near as much fun as my MV. So we learn to live with the shortcomings and come up with solutions to our problems. :brutale:
amcarguy,I love your comments and thank you for the support.My hub is .8kgs heavier that the MV original hub and does not effect handling at all.When you develop a hub that is strong and durable there will be advantages and disadvantages,as long as advantages win.My aim is safety,so the extra weight is no issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
amcarguy,I love your comments and thank you for the support.My hub is .8kgs heavier that the MV original hub and does not effect handling at all.When you develop a hub that is strong and durable there will be advantages and disadvantages,as long as advantages win.My aim is safety,so the extra weight is no issue.
If I were concerned about the unsprung weight of the hub, I could have stuffed it in my mill and ventilated it with a multitude of holes. Would I have felt the difference? Not likely. I prefer the solid billet piece knowing the pinch of the swing arm won't distort it in the slightest. Thanks again for such a great product.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts