MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my brutale secondhand from a dealer in Chicago last summer, and my very first ride on it was captioned with the headlight glass falling off and shattering as I went through an intersection. I've been searching for a replacement since then, with no luck. I really don't want to pay $700+ and shipping to order the OEM part, but I feel like I'm running out of options. Since my registry is being updated, it's a 2004 750S

I'm lucky to be nearby Fast by Feracci, and they've been helping me look for the part, but haven't found one yet. (Still, thank you to them for replacing my slave cylinder and fixing a few other issues that were over my head last week).

I seriously need help, I'm torn between trying to find the glass, an aftermarket headlight that doesn't look ridiculous, or even melding my own cover from fiberglass, but I'm really not that artistic.

·
Administrator
19,500 Posts
Kind of in the proverbial tight spot. New parts are available, but pricey as you have found. Used are few and far between as most are snapped up by owners like you as soon as they appear on eBay or the like.

The earlier Brutales are notorious for the glue holding the glass on failing. Lot's of threads about that. Later models seem less failure prone.

You can adapt the new headlight from the later generation bikes (there is a thread about that) but still pricey.

All I can say is good luck and my sympathies....You may want to check some other dealers for pricing....some add handling up-charges to the MSRP from the factory, others do not.

·
Registered
14,404 Posts
the problem with a replacement headlight is the plug for the headlight is unique to MV
.......I think the harness has an H4 plug and the bike uses an H7 bulb.....thus the adaptor......you can graft an H7 plug into the harness but then the spring clip won't hold the bulb correctly.......ask me how I know.......... that's the way my Brutale was:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can adapt the new headlight from the later generation bikes (there is a thread about that) but still pricey.

All I can say is good luck and my sympathies....You may want to check some other dealers for pricing....some add handling up-charges to the MSRP from the factory, others do not.
I think I know the post you're talking about... it might be my best option.

To be honest, i was planning to sell the bike sometime this summer, so while on one hand I don't want to put any more money into it, I also want it to be perfect for its next owner.

I need something better suited for longer rides, and something that my girls aren't afraid to get on the back of.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I decided to contact my insurance company and explained what happened, and it looks like it falls under my collision coverage since I "hit" a sewer cover to cause the glass to fall and shatter. It would still be a $500 deductible, but it would mean getting the correct part. Thoughts?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
822 Posts
So I decided to contact my insurance company and explained what happened, and it looks like it falls under my collision coverage since I "hit" a sewer cover to cause the glass to fall and shatter. It would still be a $500 deductible, but it would mean getting the correct part. Thoughts?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
G'day,

That's how I did mine. Actually fell out on a rail crossing. Headlight cost almost $1500au. and I had to pay $400 excess on insurance. Was the new model headlight and it comes with an adaptor plug.

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
822 Posts
Forgot to add that a clear headlight protector glues on nicely to the shell with windscreen sealant. You'd hardly tell the difference from a glance. I'd lend you my spare but the repairer had to keep it for three months (insurance thingy) and now they've gone into receivership so I've got to try and retrieve it.

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forgot to add that a clear headlight protector glues on nicely to the shell with windscreen sealant. You'd hardly tell the difference from a glance. I'd lend you my spare but the repairer had to keep it for three months (insurance thingy) and now they've gone into receivership so I've got to try and retrieve it.

Cheers

Deano
Thanks deano, I had actually ordered the cover offered by designcorse, but cancelled it after a few emails indicating it wouldn't fit properly as a replacement to the glass.

As for the new headlight, how is the lowbeam bulb? I had intended to replace the stock lowbeam with a halogen, but after a few image seaches, it looks like this might not be an issue?

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
I took the headlight assembly off and noticed the thing is very heavy. Does anyone make an assy that will fit in it's place that is less weight

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So i wanted to update this since Ferracci just seriously pissed me off.

My insurance covered my repair after receiving the estimate from Ferracci for $643.65 all in, and once I got the check from my insurance for the repair minus my deductible, I called to let them know to order my part. That was about 3 weeks ago, but I expected there to be a bit of a wait to get the headlamp in.

I got a call from Ferracci on tuesday to let me know the part arrived and was ready to go, so I brought in my bike this morning to get the work done. So far, so good. I just got a call from them saying the bike was ready, but told me the price was now $870 and some change. I asked what happened with the price they agreed with my insurer on, and he just says, "ohh, the price went up." Seriously? You didn't think to tell me that before you did the work, or mention it when you actually ordered the part? No warning whatsoever, and since the work has already been done, I'm stuck. I contacted my insurer and they said there's about a 50/50 chance they'll cover the new charge. This has me beyond pissed off, and all I can do is hope they'll cut another check while i pay for this out of pocket today.

·
Registered
14,404 Posts
As for the new headlight, how is the lowbeam bulb? I had intended to replace the stock lowbeam with a halogen, but after a few image searches, it looks like this might not be an issue?
Pete;
its already an H7 stock :drummer:

DO NOT LOSE THE ADAPTER from H4(the harness) to H7 (the bulb)

they are a PITA to find :wtf::wtf::wtf:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts