MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello -

I have a 2001 F4 1+1. Purchased the bike with only 94 miles on the odometer, apparently it was the classic living room furniture in its previous life.
I am getting ready to turn it in for the 600 mi. service. At about 200 miles into enjoying this bike, an excessive rattle appeared. It seems to be coming from the right side of the front fairing and the right rear view mirror. I can get the vibration to stop if i push lightly forward on the wind screen most of the time...
I have added some rubber washers under the allen bolts that hold the rear view mirror on, put a little rubber spacer between the cockpit instruments and the shield, loosend and tightened down the 2 allen bolts that hold the front fairing on. The rattle is getting worse the more i try to alleviate the problem. Has anybody had this happen?
I am dreading the reply of "it is typical with these bikes". I love the bike more than anything, and just want the vibration to leave :) I am open to any suggestions -

Regards,
matt

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Interesting. My F4 had some rattle that I noticed when I first got it and rode it home. I can't remember what I tried to hold to stop it, but remember not stopping it. I've only taken it out twice, both longer trips with earplugs, so haven't noticed it too much. But I can't imagine it's just gone away.

I've got an after-market windscreen, so might be a different thing. On mine I can see a bit of rubbing of the paint off the screen near where the tach is. Not sure if it is related to the rattling noise...i don't think so.

anyway, i'll pay more attention to it and see if it still does it. I don't notice any vibrations related to it though.

·
Registered
236 Posts
insecureshell said:
Hello -

I have a 2001 F4 1+1. Purchased the bike with only 94 miles on the odometer, apparently it was the classic living room furniture in its previous life.
I am getting ready to turn it in for the 600 mi. service. At about 200 miles into enjoying this bike, an excessive rattle appeared. It seems to be coming from the right side of the front fairing and the right rear view mirror. I can get the vibration to stop if i push lightly forward on the wind screen most of the time...
I have added some rubber washers under the allen bolts that hold the rear view mirror on, put a little rubber spacer between the cockpit instruments and the shield, loosend and tightened down the 2 allen bolts that hold the front fairing on. The rattle is getting worse the more i try to alleviate the problem. Has anybody had this happen?
I am dreading the reply of "it is typical with these bikes". I love the bike more than anything, and just want the vibration to leave :) I am open to any suggestions -

Regards,
matt
Matt,

I have the same thing with My Senna 1000, around 4500-5000 rpm. In my case it comes from the air intake tubes that are vibrating against the fairing.

dismantle the fairing and see paint comes off. If so the problem might be there and putting rubber will solve the problem.

Good luck,
MotoMorfose

·
Registered
576 Posts
In case it helps I also noted a buzzing screen near 5K RPMs. Could minimize it by holding/pushing the screen. Left a message on this and someone mentioned tightening the Allen screws holding the screen. I did this and 90% of the buzzing was removed. Not even an issue now. Just mentioning it in case it helps.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Mine had a really weird rattle when I first got it that I swore was a fairing issue.

It was loose exhaust headers. I tightened them up when I did the thermal wrap on the headers. That fixed it for a while

Now I have a rattle again at 8000 miles, sounds like it's probably the air tubes, heh.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I had the exact same symptoms. Most of the time the rattle is from the front fairing not fitting correctly over the headlight (this is why when you press on the fairing upwards it stops). It drove me crazy for awhile till I figured it out. I thought it was the right mirror too but it wasn't. Take off the front fairing by undoing the two bolts holding it on at the base of the mirror stays. Examine the area around the headlight opening. You will probably see areas rubbed free of paint.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I had a rattle once on my CBR400RR that drove me absolutely crazy for months. I had the bike stripped down, even exhausts all off, and I revved it and at 5k rpm I'd still here this high-pitched metallic clatter. Then one day whilst riding and trying to ignore it I took my left hand off the bar and placed it on the tank and it stopped! Turned out the spring in the fuel cap flap wasn't strong enough and it was bouncing up and down at exactly 5k rpm. Never managed to fix it though...

Si

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hoovdini said:
I had the exact same symptoms. Most of the time the rattle is from the front fairing not fitting correctly over the headlight (this is why when you press on the fairing upwards it stops). It drove me crazy for awhile till I figured it out. I thought it was the right mirror too but it wasn't. Take off the front fairing by undoing the two bolts holding it on at the base of the mirror stays. Examine the area around the headlight opening. You will probably see areas rubbed free of paint.
yes! i have been concentrating on the right mirror for over a week now. nothing i do (little rubber o-rings stuffed all over to soften any shaking) has worked. i will remove the front fairing and look for paint wear. thanks for the tip! this has been driving me absolutley nuts...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
My paint is rubbing off under the fairing around the front head light.

Haven't done anything about it as yet but i do have an annoying rattle it could be that!!

·
Registered
861 Posts
had to dig this up im having the rattle while riding also i keep grabbing different parts around the windscreen and gauges but it doesnt stop its really getting annoying

·
Registered
48 Posts
had to dig this up im having the rattle while riding also i keep grabbing different parts around the windscreen and gauges but it doesnt stop its really getting annoying
word...

mine sounds as though it's coming from the coolant tank though.

Amazing how "not secure" the radiators are also. I found out (replacing my fan blades) that with minimal force the radiators, or the brackets can hit the exhaust. I imagine that type of force is not present in every day riding, so it must not be a problem.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
It's is a common thing with the MV for the screen to rub on the top of the light. Try removing the screen and grind a little of the tip (of the screen) away.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Where the upper fairing wraps around the nose fairing the inner part of the upper fairing where it comes back from the leading edge rattles/vibrates against the nose piece. I put a little strip of wet suit material along the upper edge of the inner section and stopped it.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Take all those rubber washers off.
Undo the two allen bolts holding the fairing on, undo the side fairings and take the whole thing off.

Go for a quick ride naked, just to be sure that it is the fairing.

If it is, just take your time putting it back on. When in place give it a nice jiggle with the two allen screws in, and make sure it is not rubbing on the headlight or the air tube intakes.

When you put the side fairings back on, make sure they clip over the two rubber bungs on the V piece.

You will be surprised how badly some mechanics shops do with these.

Good luck.

·
Registered
861 Posts
too complicated for me i dont want to take anything off of my mv myself but i dont want it to go to the shop for another month

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had bad rattles when the bike would go over small bumps. I finally put stick velcro along the seams where the upper and lower overlap. A thin strip can be hidden and softens the meeting between these two peices of plastic.
Got rid of the noise.
Did the same where the headlight meets the faring.
Go figure
Good luck

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Yeah I get a buzzing sound in the 6-7k rpm range. Is it normal for the bike to vibrate like that? My brothers 10R is SMOOTH with NO vibration at all. Kinda worries me lol. Especially with the Arrows on at 9k rpm and above the bike feels like it will literally explode lol

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yeah I get a buzzing sound in the 6-7k rpm range. Is it normal for the bike to vibrate like that? My brothers 10R is SMOOTH with NO vibration at all. Kinda worries me lol. Especially with the Arrows on at 9k rpm and above the bike feels like it will literally explode lol

Suryad,if you will take off your front fairing and look on the inside you will most likely see where its been rubbing. Mine was rubbing on the left front fairing support, [to the left of the headlight on the inside of the fairing]

You will need to loosen the fairing support and retighten it encouraging it inward away from the fairing, then reinstall fairing. This solved the buzzing on my bike.

You can also install some thin foam at the contact point.

·
The Machinist
2,448 Posts
Take all those rubber washers off.
Undo the two allen bolts holding the fairing on, undo the side fairings and take the whole thing off.

Go for a quick ride naked, just to be sure that it is the fairing.

If it is, just take your time putting it back on. When in place give it a nice jiggle with the two allen screws in, and make sure it is not rubbing on the headlight or the air tube intakes.

When you put the side fairings back on, make sure they clip over the two rubber bungs on the V piece.

You will be surprised how badly some mechanics shops do with these.

Good luck.

I like doing this however it gets a little cold! :freezing:
Maybe if I got an Alcantara seat it would help a little>:idea: :stickpoke

I had the noise as well and believe it to be what Rockethouse explained.
Just cut, grind or sand the windscreen down to fix.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts