MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're at 2,400 miles, around 1,000 since the last repair (sprag). Out riding with a group, and in 4th gear accelerating...then the motor revs like it popped out of gear. I kicked it down a gear, and it just revs again. I looked down to see if I had lost the chain, but it's still there. Everything looks, and feels normal. Clutch feels normal, bike starts and the gear indicator says "1" (or 2 or 3 or whatever). It's like there's no chain on the bike. No resistance to the revving at all. It didn't make any odd noises, it just broke.

MV/Ducati Austin sent a tow for me, and they have the bike. They checked it over and were kinda stumped. They'll open it up and see what happened. Fourth repair, in 2,400 miles. I'm so glad I bought an MV.

·
Registered
14,563 Posts
?

TheX;
bet the quick shifter short stroked and put you between gears.....

it can't be mechanical it has to be electrical

:popcorn:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing to do with the quick shifter, three techs have seen it and believe it's a mechanical issue.

·
Registered
14,563 Posts
ok

does the lever return to the center position?

if not its the lever spring.....

if it only shifts up or down its a ratchet pawl spring

there is an arm with a roller that centers the drum in each gear it has a spring......if its broken it won't "center" in a gear preventing the ratchet pawls from working

bikes have sequential constant mesh gear boxes they are in gear or neutral

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything feels perfectly normal. It's exactly like the chain is missing, but it's not.

·
Registered
14,563 Posts
?

Countershaft snapped......

sorry, I couldn't resist

·
Registered
320 Posts
Teeth 'fallen off' sprocket ;)

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
I feel for you. Time to write a letter to MV. Ridiculous for a bike to be that new and break like that

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I've had a few small issues in about 3000 miles and some hard riding but nothing like that

To be honest if I had I would be trying to get my money back. I knew when I bought mine it would have a few 'charms' but to go that much is in my opinion not safe or fit for customer use

·
Administrator
20,360 Posts
The snapped shaft is indeed a possibility, although a very rare one. Circlip groove milled too deep? Actually seen that before, but like I said, very rare.

Also possible is a clutch failure, although you would expect some drag to remain. Of course, if you totally toasted the plates by continuing to ride while the clutch slipped worse and worse you could get that affect....seen that before too. More often than a snapped shaft.

You DO know how to ride, don't you? Just kidding.....very curious to know what they find. Shouldn't take much labor time....what are they waiting for?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have over 600,000 street miles with no clutch destruction yet. It was running flawlessly, and in a fraction of a second completely stopped. It was exactly like throwing a chain, without the damage.

·
Administrator
20,360 Posts
Haven't seen an MV do it but have seen a GSX-R750 a Honda CBR600 and Yamaha snap a drive shaft at a circlip groove. Also a handful of Chinese bikes.
So what's keeping the techs from diving in? If it was me I would be dying of curiosity.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So what's keeping the techs from diving in? If it was me I would be dying of curiosity.
We got the bike to the shop at the end of the day, and today is the 4th so they're closed.

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
TheX, I am sorry for your misfortune.

That said, internet guessing, especially when it comes in regard to a condition that requires actual mechanical diagnosis, is quite amusing.

Guessing is actually not a skill. Anyone can guess. Guessing requires no special training. Anyone can do it. Once in a while, people even guess correctly- hence, lottery winners.

I will be looking forward to hearing the actual mechanical diagnosis of your concern.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Guessing is actually not a skill. Anyone can guess. Guessing requires no special training. Anyone can do it.
You're gonna burst their bubble. Even after i get the actual cause from Brian at MV Austin, someone will argue it.

·
Administrator
20,360 Posts
I'm just dying of curiosity here.......

And yeah, I'm guessing, but guessing from practical experience and education. Can't be too many things, but I'm sure we can come up with a longer list if we want to.

Waiting with baited breath for news from Austin.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
I'm just dying of curiosity here.......

And yeah, I'm guessing, but guessing from practical experience and education. Can't be too many things, but I'm sure we can come up with a longer list if we want to.

Waiting with baited breath for news from Austin.
In that case you are not guessing.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts