MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Not a big surprise, but for those of us who have bought an F3 675 there is another approach that can be used to make our bikes more competitive - change out components. I'm planning a major weight loss program focusing on rotating parts first as well as suspension upgrades.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Ah back to there old tricks ay bore the hell out the engine causing lots of problems then this should be Interesting

·
Registered
305 Posts
Dammit!!!!!

·
Administrator
20,391 Posts
Woodster, they're stroking it !!! The Brutale version already revealed and tested.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I don’t get it. What am I missing? :ahhh:
Designing an all new middle weight sports bike to go head to head with the likes of the Triumph 675 made perfect sense. Using that platform to launch the MV Agusta brand into world Super Sports racing, brilliant! Then, to extend the Brutale line by making a naked, detuned version of this new triple, shear genius.
Stroking the engine to gain some grunt and designing the new Rivale to fit into a category that MV had no offering until now, well... interesting, I suppose. Although, I’m not sure of the wisdom of such a move given the technical, production and financial strain a new model puts on company. Especially one as small as MV Agusta.
BUT, to announce an 800 Brutale when many markets have yet to see their first 675 B3’s? I say, STUPIDO!
And now to talk about an 800cc F3, total lunacy. :crazyeyes
Bumping the original 750 F4 up to 1000 was a necessity. Most other manufactures had seen the 600 middle weights make the 750 market near obsolete. Where’s the 800cc market that a new F3 would sell to? I mean really, I’m a die-hard Ducatista and I passed on the 848 Corse Evo in favour of the 675 F3.
The manufactures are the ones who came up with the slogan, “Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday!” So, are there changes coming to the racing classes that I am not aware of? Is the 750 superbike making a comeback?
Smaller displacement motorcycles are going to become more important in the coming years. Even Harley Davidson have announced they will soon be building a 400 or 500cc V twin in India. Here in Canada the 250cc market has just exploded in recent years due to rising insurance rates for young riders and fuel costs for all.
No, I just don’t see it. :confused:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I mean really said:
I'm convinced that you guy's who bought the F3 675 find it hard to read about this bike. I would not be glad either!
Almost extact the same thing overhere. Ordered a 1090R 3 weeks ago. My bike is allready in at the dealer and getting delivered within 2 weeks. This past weekend the dealer had an openhouse where i've picked up rumors about MV is thinking/planning of making their top Brutales 1050cc 3-cilinders. Where does that leave me? I wouldn't be surprised that MV's new big Superbike to be a 3-cilinder too! It"s their heritage, same as Ducati is playing for years with their desmo V-Twins...

As for this new bike (within 2 years, probably)...
I for one find it a very wise step to take. They know what that engine can and can't do. If they can get 125hp out of the B3 800 then 145hp will be realistic for the F3 800. Look at Suzuki with their GSX-R600 - 750 - 1000. The cost of making the 750 is less to nothing. The research is done on the 600. Just a bored out engine in it (750cc), and done!
I don't know but many Suzuki-lovers say it's the best GSX-R.

I sold my 1098 for an 848 when it came available and i can tell you it was the very best Ducati i have ever owned! And i've owned a few. That bike was awesome, light, powerful (enough), smooth and couldn't be beat by any other Ducati superbike on twisty roads and numberous tracks! If you are a die-hard Ducatista then you know that. So why should this be a 'wrong' move from MV? Imagine your F3 upgraded with 20hp and a bunch of torque. Added to what it has now.

Yes, i see it! :naughty:

·
Registered
375 Posts
15000rpm is not possible with the 800, a wider power band is better for track, a short one for roads...
Coming from a big twin , it's amazing! not time to follow the rev's on dash (shame the shift light is not movable like aprilia's).
cheers

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think its great that mv will be offering so many bikes to choose from. Good for them. Great for all those new customers they will get that goose bump feeling that I got when I picked up mine.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Marketing 101: When you are a small company, focus on what you do well. Narrow the focus to help assure success, as every dollar counts. Don't try to be "everything to everybody".

So what does MV Agusta do? Broaden their lineup to 1), release an 800 F3 to irritate those of us who took a chance on the 675 F3 and 2), expand their lineup without thinking it through. Tell me they need an F3/Brutale 675 and an F3/Brutale 800. Not for a minute. It just confuses the buyers. Giovanni needs to talk to somebody in the transportation industry who has been here before, to obtain some sage advice, before he really mucks it up.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Have to agree with the views above. This is poor marketing by MV. Effectively they have punished the brave early adopters who bought the 675 F3 & B3. This news of 800s will depreciate the 675 models and make us all have regrets for not waiting a bit longer.

I for one can't afford to trade up for a couple of years so I'm stuck, happy stuck that is, with the F3 675. But now I've been burnt I'll be more cautious before rushing in to buy a MV.

In two years time who knows what new triples Triumph will be launching. I test rode the B3 last week and the low speed fueling was terrible- kangaroo juice material

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I'm convinced that you guy's who bought the F3 675 find it hard to read about this bike. I would not be glad either!
Almost extact the same thing overhere. Ordered a 1090R 3 weeks ago. My bike is allready in at the dealer and getting delivered within 2 weeks. This past weekend the dealer had an openhouse where i've picked up rumors about MV is thinking/planning of making their top Brutales 1050cc 3-cilinders. Where does that leave me? I wouldn't be surprised that MV's new big Superbike to be a 3-cilinder too! It"s their heritage, same as Ducati is playing for years with their desmo V-Twins...

As for this new bike (within 2 years, probably)...
I for one find it a very wise step to take. They know what that engine can and can't do. If they can get 125hp out of the B3 800 then 145hp will be realistic for the F3 800. Look at Suzuki with their GSX-R600 - 750 - 1000. The cost of making the 750 is less to nothing. The research is done on the 600. Just a bored out engine in it (750cc), and done!
I don't know but many Suzuki-lovers say it's the best GSX-R.

I sold my 1098 for an 848 when it came available and i can tell you it was the very best Ducati i have ever owned! And i've owned a few. That bike was awesome, light, powerful (enough), smooth and couldn't be beat by any other Ducati superbike on twisty roads and numberous tracks! If you are a die-hard Ducatista then you know that. So why should this be a 'wrong' move from MV? Imagine your F3 upgraded with 20hp and a bunch of torque. Added to what it has now.

Yes, i see it! :naughty:
I cannot speak for other F3 owners but I’m quite happy with the claimed 126h.p. (or 128 depending who you read) from the 675cc triple. I would rather pay an additional $6 grand or so to get an R version with up-rated suspension, lighter wheels and brake package similar to the Oro than to pay $3 grand more or whatever just to get an extra 15 or 20 rated h.p. To quote Colin Chapman, "Adding power makes you faster on the straights, while subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere."
I do agree with you that IMHO the 848 is a better all-around bike to its 1098 bigger brother. Just as the 749 was to the 999 and the 748 before that.
Now if the rumors of a junior Panigale of around 899cc’s come true then an 800cc MV triple would be warranted. But that’s not what the MCN story says. Cassinelli states the new bike is aimed directly at the GSX-R750 and the 848.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Interesting comments. For me, it makes sense to come out with the 800. As has been posted in another review thread, the 800 is for those who have looked at the litre bike, but don't want the all out hp and weight.
If that had been around when I bought my 1090 I would have seriously considered it. 130 hp or so, light weight, good torque in the lower revs all make it attractive for real world riding.
The days of balls out 200 km/h that a big bike does easily is for the track.

I am sure Bordi is in the background providing business advice combined with old school experience. He has been through this before at Ducati, look at the monster range, they have small, mid and big cc, and they each have a place in the market.

·
Registered
504 Posts
MV is not Ducati. There were issues on the F3 at launch, so they obviously don't have the plot worked out. MV would be far better off improving the 675s than making them (somewhat) obsolete with the 800s. I agree about the power - 126 HP is plenty for what I will be doing. My focus, therefore, will be on weight reduction and suspension improvements, not more power.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Interesting comments. For me, it makes sense to come out with the 800. As has been posted in another review thread, the 800 is for those who have looked at the litre bike, but don't want the all out hp and weight.
If that had been around when I bought my 1090 I would have seriously considered it. 130 hp or so, light weight, good torque in the lower revs all make it attractive for real world riding.
The days of balls out 200 km/h that a big bike does easily is for the track.

I am sure Bordi is in the background providing business advice combined with old school experience. He has been through this before at Ducati, look at the monster range, they have small, mid and big cc, and they each have a place in the market.
I agree , the monster range sells well , you pick what you like :smoking:

·
Registered
375 Posts
F3 is enough

If they want to improve the F3, they have to offer new ideas like pyrometers for side temperature tires (front and rear), and the common gadgets like antidribble clutch,shiftlight programmable, reverse shift, launch , rev limiter, levers protections...
For me the bike is very well born , they have only to follow it, rather to spread to the brutale versions, this way is full of cheaper competitors :smoking:
cheers

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Marketing 101: When you are a small company, focus on what you do well. Narrow the focus to help assure success, as every dollar counts. Don't try to be "everything to everybody".

So what does MV Agusta do? Broaden their lineup to 1), release an 800 F3 to irritate those of us who took a chance on the 675 F3 and 2), expand their lineup without thinking it through. Tell me they need an F3/Brutale 675 and an F3/Brutale 800. Not for a minute. It just confuses the buyers. Giovanni needs to talk to somebody in the transportation industry who has been here before, to obtain some sage advice, before he really mucks it up.
MV have done this for as long back as I can remember, I bought a new F41000R, it was superseeded within 6 months to the 312R which kinda pissed me off at the time.

The 3 cylinder motor will apparantly stretch to just under 900cc so there is still more to come.

All manufacturers will do this, the car world is exactly the same with constant yearly updates to keep interest in the model.

MV were never going to bring out the 3 cylinder engine at it's maximum potential in the 1st year, it's just marketing :)

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Well according to MCN the three cylinder engine was originally designed as an 800cc. It was Claudio’s decision to market it in its 675cc configuration first. Except from the MCN Review of the Brutale 800

“This 798cc, double overhead cam, inline three-cylinder engine was originally designed to be the first triple to come from the modern MV Agusta factory but the boss, the late Claudio Castiglioni who decided the 675cc engine was of greater market importance and demanded the F3 supersport and Brutale 675 were sorted first. This meant it was a bigger job to make the 675cc version than increasing the stroke to make the 798cc motor.”

I think most of us here are savvy enough to understand the concept of marketing a range of bikes within a model segment. My earlier point was that MV is so small, (and its dealer network still quite young when compared to its competitors) that it should space out its new model introductions more. Basically, put a little more thought into when to launch what.
Hell, here in North America the dealers don’t even know what basic parts or consumables they need to stock for their present line up, let alone what’s to come. Also, as I stated earlier, MV are promising delivers of the 800 Brutale before some markets, (like North America) have even seen the 675 version. So to now announce an 800 F3 when they are still trying to sort out problems and deliver 675 F3's I feel is pure folly.

1 - 20 of 209 Posts