1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ambassador / 007 , , Waiting for new bike
6,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Helmets (also known as brain buckets) are optional in some states. Some prefer to ride without a helmet. For some, to ride is to be free--free from restrictions like a helmet. But most people consider that attitude irresponsible.

·
6,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
668 Posts
My brother rides a vintage Honda Goldwing and a lot of his friends are the Harley/Japanese Cruiser crowd. Sometimes my brother rides without a leather jacket (which I harass him about), but he always wears a helmet. The ridiculous thing is that a lot of his Harley friends give him a hard time about not wearing leather when they never even ride with a helmet. I don't really understand the "Harley Costume" of full leathers and no helmet.

:loser:

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I am of a certain vintage that remembers life before compulsory crash helmets. Whilst I would always wear one now, I recall that the freedom (for wont of a better term) of riding without a helmet was quite exilarating, :jsm: It is clear that you can have a serious accident at low speed (less than 30 mph)but I would personally like to see compulsory helmet wearing (in 30 mph limit areas) repealed, but in the UK it will never happen. :banghead:

·
Registered
796 Posts
riding without a helmet is stupid.you can t see shit over a certain speed your face will be full of flies rocks sand and mosquitos in no time.this association between motorcycles and freedom is a bit of a clichee perpetuated by yuppies who saw easy rider and like to play it cool with their office buddies.that s why the custom market grew so much in the us and the world.because they all want to ride a quarter mile into town on these ridiculous machines..looking cool..like a monkey on a bicycle

·
Registered
796 Posts
and about the honda "goldfinger".a couple of years ago when my english wasn t so good(not to imply that i am a very good english speaker now but still :D) i used to say honda goldwhig :)) :banghead: :smoking:

·
6,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
allias86 said:
riding without a helmet is stupid.you can t see shit over a certain speed your face will be full of flies rocks sand and mosquitos in no time.this association between motorcycles and freedom is a bit of a clichee perpetuated by yuppies who saw easy rider and like to play it cool with their office buddies.that s why the custom market grew so much in the us and the world.because they all want to ride a quarter mile into town on these ridiculous machines..looking cool..like a monkey on a bicycle
Monkey!!!!Hahahaha!!! :laughing:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
6,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
102 Posts
allias86 said:

Pretty much sums up my feelings. I've been riding for over 25 years and never have and never will get the whole Harley/no helmet lots of leather thing. From the no helmets, to the leather costums, to the crap bikes and the "I'm too cool" attitude. These 'motorcycles' are everywhere in my area on weekends. You can tell a mile away that 99% of these guys are not very skilled or experienced just by watching them ride. They also clog up some of our best roads with their 35 mph du-rag parades while the rest of the motoring world is stuck behind them (cars anyway). All dressed up with no helmets on..........and nowhere to go. Friggin' poseurs.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
pigiolino,

the riders who do this.. without helmets... do so for fashion. Their friends ride this way, so all ride this way.

Also the "American rider" (by this I mean the rider on a Harley Davidson, the most popular bike in America) thinks only the coward rides with a helmet but the "brave man" rides without one! Che buffo! The "brave man" on the Harley Davidson goes no more than 100-120kph and is afraid to go more than 30kph in any corner!!! On the high mountain passes I have seen these "brave riders" passed by bicycles!!!

·
Registered
409 Posts
dont know about the rest of the US but i first started riding in upstate NY an we repsected that art of riding as a skill to be learned . i went racing an got away from the road an moved to south florida . when i came back to street riding this whole wave of stunt riding came to be. i was thrown for a loop seeing someone who had learned throttle control but still couldnt ride the bike . then the complete lack of saftey blew me away . no helmetsare needed in FLorida ,140 mph highway blasts no helmet ,100 mph stand up wheelies splitting traffic no helmet . i tired to talk to some of them an they have a sub culture where being able to stop the bike an turn it is not important . but they can do a 100 foot stoppie but cant charge a turn break peelit in . its like i wanna ride a biuke an i want social respect in my riding circle but they all agreed that it was cooler to ignore what really scares then (being learned over an going fast )an went ok this is cooler . i truely feel this has done more damage to American motorcyclying then our harley friends . the harley -custom fad has it time line to die out , an the it is truely a fad as our economy starts to cool off an people cant get 50 grand out of thier overly appraised home to go buy a 20 grand harley or a custome bike . but the rap music backed pop fade of stunting is a bigger problemthen the harley guys .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts