MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today after all of my little stalling and charging issues I thought I would take time to run thru some of the wiring under the seat to see if there was anything untoward.
Some of the wiring was a little messy so it was cleaned up, re-routed some of them and then I found this. It seems to be a piece of hard wire bridging two connectors going into the main starter relay. Can anyone explain why this was done please and should it be there??
BUT WAIT IT GETS WORSE!

Thought I would pull the connector out to give it a clean. NOPE!
It wouldn't budge. It seems that there had been a battery overflow which leaked into the connector and it was full of white crap. After an hour of water, swearing and WQD40 it came out. Then I saw this. WOW!

Absolutely amazing!!!
The connector had totally rotted thru and fell apart in my hands.

GEEEEEEZZZZZZZ.....

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Not too uncommon, those connections cop some heat and through the years can get melted if not looked after. Check if the hard bridge was not a diode, they are on the F4 and some Brutale's .

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Not too uncommon, those connections cop some heat and through the years can get melted if not looked after. Check if the hard bridge was not a diode, they are on the F4 and some Brutale's .
Whatever it "was" it "aint" now.
Pulled it apart and it is a Diode.
Should I replace it mate and if so how?
Does it do anything?

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Have a search in the maintenance section Kel, I'm on my way out to a breakdown, customer comes first, I'll post pic for you when I get back. Maybe look in my photo album, there might be a picture there. Speak soon.
Yes you have to replace it, I think the part number is 14011, but I'll let you know soon.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have a search in the maintenance section Kel, I'm on my way out to a breakdown, customer comes first, I'll post pic for you when I get back. Maybe look in my photo album, there might be a picture there. Speak soon.
Yes you have to replace it, I think the part number is 14011, but I'll let you know soon.
no rush mate, will google the part number in the meantime.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Kel let me say "Italian + electrical s = trouble "

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kel let me say "Italian + electrical s = trouble "
LOL. Mate, you could say the same for every bike bar the Jappers...

But there is some blame to be sheeted home to the previous owner after seeing some of these things...

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I had this problem with my 1090R, melted the solenoid body too. No diode on mine. It must be a poor connection from the connector to the starter solenoid. After awhile the heat must build up until the wires start to melt, then you get shorts in the wires that cause all kinds of stales, battery drains and starting issues. I found 4 good insulated connectors and reattached the wires (you can find my thread on it) and never had an issue since. The stock connector is definitely garbage.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had this problem with my 1090R, melted the solenoid body too. No diode on mine. It must be a poor connection from the connector to the starter solenoid. After awhile the heat must build up until the wires start to melt, then you get shorts in the wires that cause all kinds of stales, battery drains and starting issues. I found 4 good insulated connectors and reattached the wires (you can find my thread on it) and never had an issue since. The stock connector is definitely garbage.
Yes, that's my plan too. No diodes eh?
Will search for your thread now.
Oh, and Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
had a lot of my elects replaced by MV on my 2005 910s , suprised it lasted this long
i used to rewire my old bikes but with todays electronics cant be done

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i used to rewire my old bikes but with todays electronics cant be done
Yep, I usually do exactly the same thing.
I even put a magneto on the old Harley I recently rebuilt to overcome any electrical issues.
Bullet proof that!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the help guys.
New Crimp Terminal's, a Starter Relay and Diode's all ordered.
Will try to make it a bit better than the original plug set-up.
Lets see how that goes once everything gets here.

Every day is an adventure eh!

·
Vendor
5,281 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
There was an alternative to the mv starter solenoid as well if you're replacing it. Mine still works fine, though the body was distorted a bit.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts