MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
AMA Supercross Practice Pics

Well, I awoke with a huge problem with my eyes...I just couldn't see myself going to work today!!! :laughing:

The sun was coming up to a clear sky, and it wasn't nearly as cold as it has been. So, I called in to my boss, told him the bad news, and headed out for a coffee and bagel. Tomorrow night is the second Anaheim Supercross, and I live so very close to the practice tracks, I figured I go see who might be practicing here today.

I ran home, fed the mutt, grabbed my camera, and hit the road. Five minutes down the way was my first stop, the Pro Circuit Kawasaki track. Unloading his bike from the O'neal van was Tim Ferry. I took up a perch along the iron fence, and watched him rip several hot laps off around the circuit. I shot several pics, and posted a few of my favorites below.

I packed up and drove the next five minutes down to the Suzuki tracks, unfortuantely, they were on the upper track which you can't get to without trespassing, but I managed to catch Ricky Carmichael on his Makita Suzuki, long range, as he worked the whoop section along the ridge...Horrible pictures, but it was great to think that just a few hundred feet away, the Greatest Of All Time was working it out. The last pic is a montage of horribly distant images of Ricky.

***EDIT: Ooops, it appears that the second image in the montage is Ricky's teammate, Ivan Tedesco***

I think if I go back out, I can get closer on my DRZ, so I might try that. I also want to get in a short rip on the Tambo, before I change the oil and filter.

James Stewart goes for three victories in a row tomorrow night, and maybe he will be out at the Kawasaki track later today...I'll go back and check if I make it out on the DRZ...

Enjoy,

Griff
twoeleven

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Wow. Busy day at the local practice tracks...I went back out on the DRZ to see if I could catch some more practice. I cruised past the Kawasaki track, but Ferry and his crew had left for the day.

I went back over to what used to be the lower Suzuki track, and I met in the parking lot there KTM Supercross Lites rider Zach Osborne and his father/mechanic. Zach told me that now KTM owns that track, and that Suzuki stays up on the ridge. I chatted them up for a minute while they made a chain adjustment, and they told me to go ahead and go up the private road that leads to the Yamaha track. I watched Zach tear up the KTM track for a bit, but I didn't feel like busting out the camera that was in my backpack, so I just hung out and watched. He said he is looking forward to the East rounds starting in February, and was just trying to get in as much practice as possible. Nice folks. (stock Zach picture below)

I then zipped down the dirt access road to the Yamaha road, and went up there to take a look. There were several riders there, but they were between motos, just hanging out, so I left them alone. From that lot, I could see riders on both the Honda and Suzuki tracks in the distance, but the road that leads up there was behind a closed gate, and through an equipment rental yard, so I decided not to push it.

I tore around on all of the fire roads back there for an hour or so, just enjoying the sunshine and the growl of the Yoshimura exhaust note from my DRZ. After I was good and dusty, I headed back across the CA15 to Tom's Farms, downed a grilled chicken sandwich, and an ice cold Mountain Dew at the edge of the duck pond, and headed home.

I thought I'd show you guys by satellite how close these guys are to each other, this area is just off of the 15 freeway in Corona, five minutes south from where I live. The Kawasaki track would be just out of the picture on the left, across the freeway that you just barely can't see.

Supercross round three is tomorrow night in Anaheim!

Griff
twoeleven

A

·
0 Posts
wow
in the nicest possible way,
you out of everyone here i hate the most, why/.....
because its so not fair.
i worship motorcross and supercross, i long to see it on espn down here, i wait up to all hours of the morning to watch bubba, reed carmichael..........and you bloody hell, live two secs away from seeing it in the flesh.
life is so unfair for me\
you are one lucky man

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
anothermvfanatic said:
you out of everyone here i hate the most,
HAHA!!! Jealous, Rob??? :stickpoke Between the factory MX practice tracks for entertainment, the proximity of the Ortega Highway for my sportbikes, the Cleveland National Forest for the dual-sport, and the Lake Elsinore MX track for my motocross riding...I am in Paradise. :smoking:

I used to live down by the beach, and EXCEPT for the beautiful women walking around in their underwear, that place was lame...And my friends thought I was crazy for moving away from the beach. :blah:

Griff
twoeleven

A

·
0 Posts
i repeat
you out of everyone here i hate the most,

lucky bugger, living the good life
enjoy it for me too

1 - 8 of 8 Posts