MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke with the main man at Dynojet Research. He tells me they dont make a PClll for the 2008 Brutale. The PClll for earlier models won't work below 6000 rpm (20%) because of the 02 sensor and therefore will not help with the abrupt throttle issue. The ECU will continually adjust to overide the PClll. Disconnecting the 02 sensor won't help as the ECU will still look for a signal. A PClll for the 08 model is months away at best. Lesson learned! Anyone need a slightly used PClll? lol

·
Registered
185 Posts
Get an Arrow midpipe & Eprom, the differnece is amaxing - like a different bike. Smoother, better throttle response, more power & better fuel economy too.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I spoke with the main man at Dynojet Research. He tells me they dont make a PClll for the 2008 Brutale. The PClll for earlier models won't work below 6000 rpm (20%) because of the 02 sensor and therefore will not help with the abrupt throttle issue. The ECU will continually adjust to overide the PClll. Disconnecting the 02 sensor won't help as the ECU will still look for a signal. A PClll for the 08 model is months away at best. Lesson learned! Anyone need a slightly used PClll? lol[/QUOTE

I thought I read or heard that when you upgrade the exhaust there is a new ESU you need to add because of the O2 sensor.Also I would check with your shop because the ECU's were being upgraded on the 08 for the jerky throttle issue?Check for threads on that here. Sorry to here you got stuck with the PClll!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
midpipe?

Philly:

I am under the impression that a midpipe alone is not an option on 08 models. The cat and header are one piece. If thats true I might as well have the stubby too, if just for looks. Trouble is, I don't really need more performance (for me it's an absolute beast in stock form) and I don't want to spend that kind of cash just for the throttle response.

I love the way it makes me feel like I MUST pay close attention, maybe I should consider the throttle response to be just another aspect of that and leave it alone. I'll dwell on it awhile.....

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I spoke with the main man at Dynojet Research. He tells me they dont make a PClll for the 2008 Brutale. The PClll for earlier models won't work below 6000 rpm (20%) because of the 02 sensor and therefore will not help with the abrupt throttle issue. The ECU will continually adjust to overide the PClll. Disconnecting the 02 sensor won't help as the ECU will still look for a signal. A PClll for the 08 model is months away at best. Lesson learned! Anyone need a slightly used PClll? lol

Yes, I need a PC3. Shoot me a pm please with how much you want for it.

CAG

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Get an Arrow midpipe & Eprom, the differnece is amaxing - like a different bike. Smoother, better throttle response, more power & better fuel economy too.
Can't change eproms on the new 5SM units. Race ecu is the only option to get rid of the O2 sensors. (like ducatis)

·
Registered
364 Posts
I haven't looked at the sensor used on MVs but I can't believe it would be horrendously difficult to emulate. All sensors I've seen so far are just a simple waveform, while some may vary frequency or pulsewidth under differing conditions it's not like it's a complex data protocol. I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to determine what waveform the ECU expects for a given condition.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I haven't looked at the sensor used on MVs but I can't believe it would be horrendously difficult to emulate. All sensors I've seen so far are just a simple waveform, while some may vary frequency or pulsewidth under differing conditions it's not like it's a complex data protocol. I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to determine what waveform the ECU expects for a given condition.

Is this man in a league of his own, or what?

Are you an electrical engineer? Your knowledge goes way beyond hobbiest.

CAG

·
Registered
364 Posts
My actual paper qualifications are in electromechanics and thermodynamics although to be honest, I only studied those subjects academically for two years. I do continue to learn and keep up to date 'on the job' though so I don't think I missed much.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Here....this is my 08.

there is not a PCIII for the 08 Brute yet (so I've been told)...Ferracci told me this in November.

swap out your OEM ECU for one of FbF's (reflashed which will not recognize the 02 Sensor)....will run you 800 bucks with the trade in of your OEM ECU. otherwise...spend 1400 w/o trade-in.

Then have your shop install the new ECU, dyno the bike and set up ECU/exhaust mapping....any decent shop servicing MV's should already have the setup software/computer, if not, another 200 bucks for the software.

A full Arrow stubby system and ECU installed (O2-less and full Stubby mapped), 10 extra ponies to the rear wheel....I'm happy.
And if you get more ponies because of a different exhaust/map...all the better. yeh it's pricey....but what is one to do?
then tack on the exhaust price and setup/dyno. to me it was worth it.....but still cheaper than the Corse exhaust by itself.

As far as 08 Brutes go.....your best bet is to swap the OEM ECU to the O2-Less ECU if you're going with an aftermarket "full exhaust".
And call Ferracci himself, hmmmm, he seems to know these bikes better than anyone in the US. I'm convinced!

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can't change eproms on the new 5SM units. Race ecu is the only option to get rid of the O2 sensors. (like ducatis)
Is the race ECU designed to be used in conjuction with a particular type or brand of exhaust system? While the full potential of a race ECU may not be realized with the stock exhaust I'm wondering if it could be used to make the PC functional (and bring me a step closer to a full exhaust system upgrade in the future) or does the race ECU eliminate the need for a PC?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here....this is an 08.

there is no PCIII for the 08 Brute (so I've been told)...Ferracci will tell you this himself.

swap out your ecu for one of FbF's (reflashed which will not recognize the 02 Sensor)....will run you 800 bucks with the trade in of your OEM ECU. otherwise...spend 1400 w/o trade-in.

Then have your shop dyno the bike and set up ecu/exhaust mapping with the computer....any decent shop servicing MV's should already have the setup software/computer, if not, another 200 bucks for the software.

A full Arrow stubby system and ECU installed, 10 extra ponies to the rear wheel....I'm happy. And if you get more ponies because of a different exhaust...all the better.

But as far as 08 Brutes go.....your best bet is swap the OEM ECU if you're going with an aftermarket "full exhaust". And call Ferracci himself, hmmmm, he seems to know these bikes better than anyone in the US.

Cheers

Mr. Eraldo knows this bikes bettere than anybody else because he's the official importer of MV Agusta in the US.
you can reflash the stock ECU or buy a race MV Corse ECU like i did, that work without the O2 sensor, for about $900 at Emoto.com, but good luck with them!!!! the ECU works very good though, +11HP for me, the mechanic also was really scheptic about the actual gain, when Emoto claimed 10HP gain, but after putting the bike on the Dyno, we both (my mechanic and I) were very surprised, not just for the power gain, but also for the curve of power, ready from the really first RPM, that can let you enjoy the power of the motor at full range! the race ECU is expensive, but it really worths that money...
the stock ECU of the '08 models, the new Magneti Marelli is a tricky unit that works on closer loop, not easy to remap, but very complete that if capable to remap (like Ferracci), lets you play on everything, giving you the option to change the bike completely!
either stock reflashed or Race unit, i can suggest you to change it, especially if you got an exhaust, you will notice the strong difference.
complete the step with a BMC race filter and you will hear that motor scream very loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Is the race ECU designed to be used in conjuction with a particular type or brand of exhaust system? While the full potential of a race ECU may not be realized with the stock exhaust I'm wondering if it could be used to make the PC functional (and bring me a step closer to a full exhaust system upgrade in the future) or does the race ECU eliminate the need for a PC?

According to Ferracci, the new reflashed ECU is to be mapped/set up according to the exhaust selected.....for the 08.
He himself said it would be stupid to mix a Power Commander with the new ECU.

GP Motorcycles set up my bike...they received the new open ECU from Ferracci. GP had the software that is required to set up these ECUs.
They installed the exhaust, put the bike on the dyno and set up the Fuel/Air (with computer) to the ECU.

For my set up, there was no need for a Power Commander......basically, the new ECU is the Power Commander.

·
Registered
46 Posts
the race ECU is a plug and play unit, no needing of remapping.

·
Registered
70 Posts
the race ECU is a plug and play unit, no needing of remapping.

Depends on the exhaust he has........
Why buy a Race Corse ECU if he might have a Stubby Full System or a garbage can stuck on his bike.

900 at emoto? I spent 800 with GP going to Ferracci......is that extra 1 hp worth a $100 more and the time of dealing with Europe?

They all (ECU's) need a tweaking/an adjusting of some sort.......

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I don't want to spend that kind of cash just for the throttle response.
Good thinking, you'de be surprised at how many DON'T think like that, lol.

I found the abrupt throttle to be better for me anyways. My throttle control on a bike without the abrupt throttle is so much smoother now...

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
...be careful when deciding to change the stock ECU on the '08 model.
I did that on mine and lost 10hp!
I will put the stock ECU back in there and will drill a whole in the midpipe for the lambda sensor.

I can't understand what Dynojet can't come up with a solution for Euro3 bikes.

Personally, i'm still looking at finding a sensor emulator. If a constant signal is sent to the ECU, a PCIII should work!

If one of you guys knows what sensor emulator would work on the Brute, then please let me know !

·
Registered
46 Posts
Depends on the exhaust he has........
Why buy a Race Corse ECU if he might have a Stubby Full System or a garbage can stuck on his bike.

900 at emoto? I spent 800 with GP going to Ferracci......is that extra 1 hp worth a $100 more and the time of dealing with Europe?

They all (ECU's) need a tweaking/an adjusting of some sort.......

i don't think he wants to change the ECU without changing the exhaust, he should know that's the 1st step to do when you want to tune up a bike.
and then i don't think i gain 10hp on my bike with the race unit and the other guy lost 10hp, make sure your mechanic put on the right ECU, i think he confused and put on a kawasaki ECU!!!!! lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts