MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needs tips to clean up the aluminium on my bike.
The alu is matt. I am wondering if it is possible to bring them back to their original state, and if yes, how?

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I originally thought they were "polished" matt. I didn't think they were painted. Carbon it will be then. I'll think about it. I might polish them shiny.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Save your money, paint or polish it. its as strong if not stronger than the carbon piece. Carbon save u fraction of an ounce, what's that worth? ....Or go carbon if that is your cup of tea :)

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
I like the carbon ones :)

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Nothing wrong with a touch of patina. It shows the bike is being used...I like the metal guards and carbon heat shields...Breaks up the appearance and has an aesthetic that appeals to me...

btw carbon heel guards will scuff too

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
I needs tips to clean up the aluminium on my bike.
The alu is matt. I am wondering if it is possible to bring them back to their original state, and if yes, how?
Polish with a sisal wheel and rouge compound to even out the surface. Then I would try using a scotch brite pad to get that matte type finish. Rub the scotch brite in one direction only, no circles. If you don't like the result, you can always start over no problem. If I were to go the paint route, I'd get it powder coated.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Nothing wrong with a touch of patina. It shows the bike is being used...I like the metal guards and carbon heat shields...Breaks up the appearance and has an aesthetic that appeals to me...

btw carbon heel guards will scuff too

Joe
Not that I want to say anything but... is that heat shield installed correct?

·
Registered
5,577 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After having been to a harley show, I feel bad to have any trace of use on my bike.
I hope this feeling gets healed with time. I'd better avoid these shows in future...

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
After having been to a harley show, I feel bad to have any trace of use on my bike.
I hope this feeling gets healed with time. I'd better avoid these shows in future...
Aha... Do you also have a Harley?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not yet. I am negotiating with my wife. I try to convince her that the harley would be for her.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Negotiating with the wife :) that sounds good ;)

·
Super Moderator
22,100 Posts
Funny, my wife bought me my Harley for my 50th. Good woman, that one!

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
polished aluminum doesn't stay polished for long. It will oxidize. You can either polish it then get it clear anodized to lock in the polished look, or polish it and apply a layer of automotive clear coat.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mine looks the same way. Looks like the area is being polished by contact with my boot. Maybe clear anodized is wearing off as well. For matte look, maybe media blast and clear anodized.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Funny, my wife bought me my Harley for my 50th. Good woman, that one!
Blimey Chuck ...That's like being given a Season ticket for the Red Sox, and a new set of golf clubs..and then a snow blower for Christmas.

You're likely to disappear into the garage with a polishing cloth and never be seen again---well not until the snow drifts back in ...

I bought my ex-wife a new vacuum cleaner once :wtf:

joe

1 - 20 of 27 Posts