MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit of a problem. My battery died, I recharged it and reinstalled it. Now my alternator warning light is on and it is deffinetly not charging the battery. Now I seem to always have my head up my a%& when it comes to electrical and I have no idea why all of a sudden my alternator has died. :wtf:

So if anyone has some ideas I'd love to hear them :bawling:

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
During the process you may have blown a main charging fuse. It's a 40A blade fuse on the left side of the bike. If you remove the side panel and look at the frame you'll see three black holders. THe rightmost is the set of fuses in question. There is one fuse and one spare. Remove the little bracket (8mm hex from memory?) then pull out the fuse holder. Inspect. The other one is a spare so if you don't have easy access to a 40A blade fuse slot that one in.

If it is the fuse keep two things in mind, charge the battery before going on a ride. I've seen partially charged battery starts and running blow more fuses - curb that potential before it begings.

Second, in case it blows again make sure you are prepared with another 40A fuse close by. They can be very hard to find so you may want to grab some before going on a long remote ride :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would just like to send a huge thanks out to JamesC(now the patron saint of my garage)for the tip about the 40A fuse. It was blown, actually just one of the blades had been vaporized. Since my manual was on my laptop(which also blew up :ahhh: )I doubt I would have even found that fuse until I was well into digging to the alternator itself. You saved me a huge hassle :yo:

Many many thanks! :smoking:

·
Registered
503 Posts
JamesC deserves a huge round of applause. I don't know how else to express it.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Try this!!:highclap: :highclap: :highclap:

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Notto said:
I would just like to send a huge thanks out to JamesC(now the patron saint of my garage)for the tip about the 40A fuse. It was blown, actually just one of the blades had been vaporized. Since my manual was on my laptop(which also blew up :ahhh: )I doubt I would have even found that fuse until I was well into digging to the alternator itself. You saved me a huge hassle :yo:

Many many thanks! :smoking:
If it's "vapourised" I would assume the fuse holder must be in a pretty bad way? and may also need attention to avoid a repeat of the problem :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Notto, did you ever fix the problem? I have the same problem with my Mv. It's in the shop now. I kept replacing the fuses, just for them to blow again.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Jamesc :highclap: :highclap:
I had the same problem, in the ned I got a new battery, but I am still skeptical about the charge system on our bikes. I hate turning on my alarm for the fear that I will have to push start my bike. Anyone if there is a fix to this? ie better batteries?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had to have my stator replaced in December for the same problem. Kind of a bummer when it died - was a beautiful day on PCH and miiiiles from my house :eek:(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts