MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Like a champ... snapped the head off the torx bit bolt on the alternator cover as I was checking torque on all the bolts.

Anyone know what the exact specs of the bolt?
Did you use the "tighten 'till it strips then quarter turn back" torquing method?

Had a look at the service book, didn't give the bolt dimensions, think your best bet is the startwin trading exploded diagram as referenced above to get the bolt spec. Take note of Arcimboldo comment regarding the length being different to the others. I friggen hate it when manufacturers do that.

8 Nm is the bolt torque with thread lock. I think it is a M8 fastener for whatever it is worth.

**Edit - M6xL20 Fastener (see post below)

·
Registered
433 Posts
.... the length being different to the others. I friggen hate it when manufacturers do that.
The reason of the shorter screw on the 2019 Dragster is the Euro 4 side cover.
This bolt is recessed in the cover
all the others around hold the cover of the cover of the alternator cover.

Yes ... the moulded plastic cover :surprise: with a foam lining over the alternator cover...

...8 Nm is the bolt torque with thread lock. I think it is a M8 fastener for whatever it is worth.
M6xL20 0:) on the Bikeparts link.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you use the "tighten 'till it strips then quarter turn back" torquing method?

8 Nm is the bolt torque with thread lock. I think it is a M8 fastener for whatever it is worth.

**Edit - M6xL20 Fastener (see post below)
Hahahah yeah it looks like that but not quite! Tbh, I had just installed the R&G cover, and the torque specs on their bolt was 12 Nm, and lazily, I assumed that the proprietary bolts would be the same... so here we are...

Yeah, I'll go down the star twin route but ffs, minimum shipping is $50 to Canada!!! So ridiculous.

So do you use something like blue loctite?

·
Administrator
18,813 Posts
Hahahah yeah it looks like that but not quite! Tbh, I had just installed the R&G cover, and the torque specs on their bolt was 12 Nm, and lazily, I assumed that the proprietary bolts would be the same... so here we are...

Yeah, I'll go down the star twin route but ffs, minimum shipping is $50 to Canada!!! So ridiculous.

So do you use something like blue loctite?
Go look around the local hardware or motorcycle shop for a replacement....or order one from a local dealer. Your're crazy to buy from Startwin and pay that kind of shipping for a simple fastener.

No loctite needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts